Purchasing a New Mountain Bike

Darren Whalen

Aug 22, 2003
I am looking to pay between $1500 - $2000 (AUS) for a mountain Bike and Helmet, could anyone give me advise:confused:

Not to be too nosey, but what do you want it to do? Do you want full-suspension? Do you mostly ride XC, aggressive, free-ride, paths, etc? There are thousands of us here and probably a thousand different opionions to make matters worse ;-). I myself am a Santa Cruz man. ***** is probably a more accurate word, but who's watching? They have done me right on more than one occasion (tech help, replacing a frame I destroyed due to lame riding, etc). They have several options in the price range you mentioned (full-suspension and hardtail). I like Norco as well. You seem to get a good bit of bike for your money. Anyway, have fun and happy shopping!

K.

Sorry for not being more accurate, I previuosly had Norco Charger 2002 model. I ride XC and Fire Trails and have been looking at the following bikes:

Norco - Rampage $1,899
Norco - Sasquatch $1,499
Trek - 6700 $1,899
Scott - Racing Elite $1,895
Giant - XtC 2 $1,799
Kona Caldera $1,699
Merida Matt Special Addition Diamnond Back $2,000
Jamis Dikota AL $1,599
Giant Rainier $1,599
Specialized Rockhopper $2,000

I am looking for a hard tail, and I am confused by all the makes out there at the moment especially the decision on buying an old model against a new model.

Hope you can help, thanks for responding, I am just getting the feeling that the bike shops just want to get rid of their old bikes.(which is obviously true, but it does not help)

If the past year model has the components you want and the discount is solid then I would not hesitate at all to get one. In this price range the consumer should expect solid components capable of abuse and dependable performance. The consumer should not expect cutting edge technology or really chi-chi stuff at this price point.

It sounds like you did your homework and have a good idea what you want. Don't put too much emphasis on whether the bike is an '03 or '04. Focus on if it fits your need and wallet. You can get sort of an idea how a bike "should" behave on the trail by the geometry, wheelbase, build, etc. A more slack or relaxed head angle tends to give a more stable feeling during descents but doesn't automatically give you the ideal climbing position and on and on...

For my two cents I like the Norco Rampage and the Scott bikes. They are two pretty different bikes (handling v. climbing, stability v. quick steering, climbing v. descending) that do what they are intended to do well. Sounds like those two would be great bikes for you and serve you well for a while. Take care and have fun riding you new bike! Keep the rubber side down.

K.