Purchasing cycling clothing in Melbourne.

neon

Dec 2, 2003
I am coming down to Melbourne in couple weeks and I'm looking to update my cycling wardrobe for the summer. So Melbournians, where is the best place to shop. I looking for good quality, eg Castelli, Pearl Izumi, Giordara, Adidias etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

The first place that comes to mind is Le Knicks at Black Rock (right near the roundabout thingy on Beach Rd)

I haven't shopped there myself (I tend to go more for eBay and probikekit.com) but have been in the store and its stocked to the gills with top notch cycling wear.

tzama said:
http://www.unoclothing.com/

got some great items...

prices are fair !
I have some UNO stuff. Certainly not of the quality of the brands that neon mentioned but does the job for me. If you're looking for top end stuff, Assos in Sth Melb is right up there but stack your wallet before you go.

For me, can't go past www.probikekit.com Check out their sale stuff, I just picked up some really cheap knicks and tops.

tzama said:
http://www.unoclothing.com/

got some great items...

prices are fair !
I have a fair bit of Uno clothing and it does the job quiet well. The only problem is you become a walking billboard for them, every piece of clothing has uno on it, usually in orange placed in an obvious location. My knicks have uno on both legs.

Le Knicks at Black Rock are excellent for variety, quality and service.

neon said:
I am coming down to Melbourne in couple weeks and I'm looking to update my cycling wardrobe for the summer. So Melbournians, where is the best place to shop. I looking for good quality, eg Castelli, Pearl Izumi, Giordara, Adidias etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

there's no doubt Le Knicks is a great shop with EVERYTHING you'd ever need, but they're a bit expensive: pro bibs start a $140! Even the basic 'no-name' shorts are $95

Three doors down, John Kennedy sells his own brand bibs for $75, and 2 doors down, you can get cheap Kathy Watt shorts ('only' Netti, and not all that comfortable) for $65

High End Cycles in Victoria Street Northcote, has pro kits at very reasonable prices.

luke1972 said:
High End Cycles in Victoria Street Northcote, has pro kits at very reasonable prices.
Is this is a new shop? That would be in my neighbourhood and I haven't heard of them.

flipper said:
I wonder if they've anything to do with www.highendcycles.com.au
(they're in Clayton Sth)
They list a bit of clothing.

Yes it is the same mob. They are opening a shop next week 1 October. 500m from Livingston Street on the West side of Victoria Street. I think there is a milk bar and surf shop and another few shops near it. The premises used to be a hair dressers.

Just got my order from Probikekit. Took 8 days and cost $170 for bib shorts, 2 jerseys and short gloves. Just a little more than you'd pay for the bib short alone at Le Knicks.

nitrous said:
Just got my order from Probikekit. Took 8 days and cost $170 for bib shorts, 2 jerseys and short gloves. Just a little more than you'd pay for the bib short alone at Le Knicks.

I've look at some online stores, my only concern with online clothes shopping is getting the right fit.

neon said:
I've look at some online stores, my only concern with online clothes shopping is getting the right fit.
But, you've paid such a good price that if it doesn't fit, you can usually get your money back by selling it on eBay and make note of the size error so as not to make the same mistake again in the future. Do all my purchasing online now and have had very few issues (except for that time when my credit card started getting used fraudulently, but that's another story).