Purchasing first road bike - Gitane mach 1800, Giant OCR1....

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
Hi all

First of all this is a fantastic site for someone like me who is returning to cycling after many years. Thanks to all of you who have posted Q&As, I have found them very useful. In the process of taking up triathlon for a summer sport I have become addicted to the bike and have decided to buy a new road bike for between $1500 and $2000 australian dollars.

I am looking in particular at a Gitane mach 1800 which is around $1700 AUD and a Giant OCR 1 which is about $1850. I have also looked at a more expensive Felt bike (F60, about $2100).

I have seen many useful comments on the Giant bikes on this site but not a lot on Gitane or Felt. Has anyone got comments on these bikes/brands? I have test ridden all three and to be honest they all ride well compared to what I am currently riding.

I am located in Melbourne by the way if you have any comments on LBS.

Thanks for any responses.

Cheers
Mmamster

Mortenjacobsen

Jan 8, 2004
Hi there

I'm from Denmark, an im not so good in english, so i hope you understand me.

The Felt F60 is a good bike. You will get a lot of speed an a low weight.

In Denmark I sell bikes an a good bike for me are: Cervelo, Cube, Trek, Pinarello, Bianchi and a danish bike called Principia.

The Principia, ohh what a bike. It is handbuild, and you can have the frame just like you want it.

See you

Mortenjacobsen :)

sutek

Apr 16, 2003
Mate, I have had the pleasure of riding the Cytek Gervasio with Ultegra for the past month or so and it is a great value set-up.
From the moment I sat on it there was a connection! Having slightly shorter legs I found the compact frame well suited to me so can honestly recommend it to anyone wanting a stiff but surprisingly comfortable, speedy and well directed bike for under AU$2000!!!

hoppers

Dec 17, 2003
Hi,

Just going through the same thing. Have gone back to riding after a long break and my 12 year old Shogun Ninja with 105 on the frame is not quite up to it any more.

I wanted to stay close to $2,000 AUD (I'm in Sydney) and looked at Avanti Giro, Giant OCR1, Gitane Mach 1800, Cytek Gervasio, Felt F60 and Raceline Pave. I was close to going for the Avanti but at 6'3" was worried about the compact frame. I eventually had several bike shops tell me at my height to go for a traditional frame and took their advice.

That left the Gitane, Raceline and Felt and I couldn't go past the Felt. I love the look of the bike and it has carbon seat stays and an Ultegra rear derailleur. The clincher was when a Felt/Trek dealer who knew I wasn't buying from him (he was in Qld) rated the Felt better than the Trek 1400 (worth $2,399). Haven't got it yet so I can't tell you yet whether I did the right thing.

If you're not as tall as me you're open to the compacts as well. The Cytek Gervasio gets a great review in the Jan/Feb 2004 issue of Bicycling Australia.

Good luck with the purchase.

fando

Jan 22, 2004
Just done a photo shoot for the Beasley Cycles web site for the all new 2004 Cytek bikes. Not being a rider myself the certainly look the part, Utegra equipped, Columbus tubing, carbon forks, and as light as. Check out their web site.htpp://www.beasleycycles.com.au

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
Originally posted by fando
Just done a photo shoot for the Beasley Cycles web site for the all new 2004 Cytek bikes. Not being a rider myself the certainly look the part, Utegra equipped, Columbus tubing, carbon forks, and as light as. Check out their web site.htpp://www.beasleycycles.com.au

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I bought the Giant OCR1 today, have just done a 2 hour ride, it is fantastic. So much of a difference compared to the old clunker I was riding. For anyone thinking of getting a $20 garage sale special like some posts have suggested, well, forget it!!!! In the end all the bikes were good but I was able to get a great price on the giant from the LBS (Freedom Machine in South Yarra).

Thanks again...

Mmamster

mat

Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by mmamster
Hi all

First of all this is a fantastic site for someone like me who is returning to cycling after many years. Thanks to all of you who have posted Q&As, I have found them very useful. In the process of taking up triathlon for a summer sport I have become addicted to the bike and have decided to buy a new road bike for between $1500 and $2000 australian dollars.

I am looking in particular at a Gitane mach 1800 which is around $1700 AUD and a Giant OCR 1 which is about $1850. I have also looked at a more expensive Felt bike (F60, about $2100).

I have seen many useful comments on the Giant bikes on this site but not a lot on Gitane or Felt. Has anyone got comments on these bikes/brands? I have test ridden all three and to be honest they all ride well compared to what I am currently riding.

I am located in Melbourne by the way if you have any comments on LBS.

Thanks for any responses.

Cheers
Mmamster

mat

Feb 4, 2004
Hi all. I just purchased on of John Beasley's (recently) second hand Cytek bikes. I have shopped far and wide, but these bikes represent great value for that $2000-ish price range. Not only do you get full Ultegra, but also high quality peripherals. The final clincher is the shop - the name came up as a recommendation time and time again. They will build you a bike rather than try to sell you a particular setup. You'll be fitted, serviced in future and have lots of follow up. I'd recommend a visit!

logic

Feb 18, 2004
I have OCR 1 and recon its great but so is the Gitane, I have friends that sell both and the only obvious thing the Gitane would be easier on a rack. But the Giants great if you can get it inside the car, good luck and have fun Does the Gitane come with Triple chain ring....
Warren

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
Originally posted by logic
I have OCR 1 and recon its great but so is the Gitane, I have friends that sell both and the only obvious thing the Gitane would be easier on a rack. But the Giants great if you can get it inside the car, good luck and have fun Does the Gitane come with Triple chain ring....
Warren

Yeah I think it does but round my area there are not a lot of hills. Thought I could switch the chain ring if I need to later. The OCR 1 will fit snugly in the back of my car (hatchback) which is really handy because I drive to a lot of triathlons and therefore don't need a bike rack. Have found the brake pads to be a little dodgy - I mean they work but not great stopping power - as was reported by others before I bought it. Not cataclysmic though.

Cheers

Mmamster

logic

Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by Mortenjacobsen
Hi there

I'm from Denmark, an im not so good in english, so i hope you understand me.

The Felt F60 is a good bike. You will get a lot of speed an a low weight.

In Denmark I sell bikes an a good bike for me are: Cervelo, Cube, Trek, Pinarello, Bianchi and a danish bike called Principia.

The Principia, ohh what a bike. It is handbuild, and you can have the frame just like you want it.

See you

Mortenjacobsen :)

logic

Feb 18, 2004
hi Morten my daughter pictured rides Principia for both road and track she says they are the best in response she has ridden and if results count she must be right. If you need a reference on these frames anytime refer them to me.
Thanks Warren.

Xoko

Oct 7, 2013
Hey everyone I currently have 2002 Gitane Mach 1800 for sale. I no longer ride.