Purchasing new road bike

Vortexspoiler

New Member
Mar 8, 2004
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a road bike with 105 group set. The Avanti Giro or the Gitane 1800 are within my price range of AUD$1500.00. Has anyone have any comments on these brands?

Cheers
Vortex Spoiler

Originally posted by Vortexspoiler
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a road bike with 105 group set. The Avanti Giro or the Gitane 1800 are within my price range of AUD$1500.00. Has anyone have any comments on these brands?

Cheers
Vortex Spoiler

Avanti's have always been good bang for buck.
Have you checked out FELT bikes. ridiculously cheap as the importer/distributor/owners are all and the same so you dont get screwed by a middleman

cant comment on gitane, but havent seen a good french bike in years (sorry hippy)

Originally posted by Vortexspoiler
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a road bike with 105 group set. The Avanti Giro or the Gitane 1800 are within my price range of AUD$1500.00. Has anyone have any comments on these brands?

Cheers
Vortex Spoiler

G'day,

As 'dutch points out, Avanti frames will give you a good bang for your buck. The 105 gruppo is an excellent set up, reliable & 'race ready'. Spend any additional cash on wheel upgrades,

cheers,

Hitchy

cant comment on gitane, but havent seen a good french bike in years (sorry hippy) [/B]

Hey Dutch,

Lapierre seems to be going alright?......or do you put that down to the boys from OZ? Young Mr Magee has the Oz rights now, so naturally there is a 'brad Magee' edition.

cheers,

Hitchy

I guess Fondriest seem to be the only decent frames about now.
Peugot is owned by someone else now (czech i think?).

About time the next TdF winner was a frog; imagine the hysteria...

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I guess Fondriest seem to be the only decent frames about
> now. Peugot
is
> owned by someone else now (czech i think?).
>
> About time the next TdF winner was a frog; imagine the
> hysteria...

I thought they were all made in Taiwan?

You mean I'm riding something European?! urgh!

hippy ;-)

Originally posted by Vortexspoiler
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a road bike with 105 group set. The Avanti Giro or the Gitane 1800 are within my price range of AUD$1500.00. Has anyone have any comments on these brands?

Cheers
Vortex Spoiler

I'd be trying to find a way to stretch your budget a bit and have a look at a FELT F60. Nice looking bike, I've seen 'em for around 2k, and for what you get this seems like a top deal. (how my butt would love carbon seat stays - mmm...carbon seat stays...ahhggg)

~j~

The F60 does look good and you might get one for $1.8k, if you neg. hard. But your first two choices are sound; make sure both have carbon forks and full group sets. One proberly doesn't and uses cheaper brakes or cranks, then go for the other.

powinc

perhaps checkout the shm shop in burke st for the F60
(near Russell)

or take a gander at Lear bikes. many are gonna hate these, but geez, wot an 'entry' level bike!

Full 105, Zonal tubing, decent wheels (the red one has the shimano wired lookin wheels), carbon forks and pedals inc

All for $1499 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colours Red / Black and Black / Orange
Sizes 700C x Sml (48-50cm), Med (52-54cm)
700C x Lge (56-58cm), XLge (59-61cm)
Frame Compact Columbus Zonal Aluminium Frame with Replace End
Fork Carbon Aero straight blade
Brakes Shimano 105 racing brakes
Tyres Maxxis Xenith 700 x 23c smooth racing tyres
Spokes Stainless steel
Rims Alex RL-2002 double wall CNC alloy rims
Hubs Shimano 105 quick release
Gear Set Shimano 105 18 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Freewheel Shimano 105 12T-23T
Shifters Shimano 105 Flightdeck-ready STI
Crank Shimano 105
Chain Shimano HG73
Pedals Wellgo MG9
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-5500
Seatpost Ritchey Comp 27.2 x 230L Aero alloy
Saddle Selle Success Cyclops NSAS Pure Gel
Stem Ritchey Comp A-head stem
Head Sleek A-head
Handlebar Ritchey Comp racing handlebar
Weight Approximately 8kg

I just purchased the Specialized Allez Comp from Blair Stockwell at LifeCycle in Brisbane. And I live 5000km away.

He also has a 03 Specialized Allez Sport (105) AU$1,299 (black and red Zebra Stipes look very cool but may not be every ones choice)

The Comp (Ultegra + Columbus Frame) was a bargain at AU$2,699

I hope it's OK to post the link (if not my aplogies) http://www.lifecycle.net.au/index.php/26

Contact Blair Stockwell [email protected]

I highly recommend LifeCycle in Bris.