Purchasing new road bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Vortexspoiler, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Vortexspoiler

    Vortexspoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Hi All,

    I am looking at purchasing a road bike with 105 group set. The Avanti Giro or the Gitane 1800 are within my price range of AUD$1500.00. Has anyone have any comments on these brands?

    Cheers
    Vortex Spoiler

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Avanti's have always been good bang for buck.
    Have you checked out FELT bikes. ridiculously cheap as the importer/distributor/owners are all and the same so you dont get screwed by a middleman

    cant comment on gitane, but havent seen a good french bike in years (sorry hippy)

  3. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    G'day,

    As 'dutch points out, Avanti frames will give you a good bang for your buck. The 105 gruppo is an excellent set up, reliable & 'race ready'. Spend any additional cash on wheel upgrades,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  4. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876

    Hey Dutch,

    Lapierre seems to be going alright?......or do you put that down to the boys from OZ? Young Mr Magee has the Oz rights now, so naturally there is a 'brad Magee' edition.

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I guess Fondriest seem to be the only decent frames about now.
    Peugot is owned by someone else now (czech i think?).

    About time the next TdF winner was a frog; imagine the hysteria...

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess Fondriest seem to be the only decent frames about
    > now. Peugot
    is
    > owned by someone else now (czech i think?).
    >
    > About time the next TdF winner was a frog; imagine the
    > hysteria...

    I thought they were all made in Taiwan?

    You mean I'm riding something European?! urgh!

    hippy ;-)

  7. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    I'd be trying to find a way to stretch your budget a bit and have a look at a FELT F60. Nice looking bike, I've seen 'em for around 2k, and for what you get this seems like a top deal. (how my butt would love carbon seat stays - mmm...carbon seat stays...ahhggg)

    ~j~

  8. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    The F60 does look good and you might get one for $1.8k, if you neg. hard. But your first two choices are sound; make sure both have carbon forks and full group sets. One proberly doesn't and uses cheaper brakes or cranks, then go for the other.

    powinc

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    perhaps checkout the shm shop in burke st for the F60
    (near Russell)

    or take a gander at Lear bikes. many are gonna hate these, but geez, wot an 'entry' level bike!

    Full 105, Zonal tubing, decent wheels (the red one has the shimano wired lookin wheels), carbon forks and pedals inc

    All for $1499 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Colours Red / Black and Black / Orange
    Sizes 700C x Sml (48-50cm), Med (52-54cm)
    700C x Lge (56-58cm), XLge (59-61cm)
    Frame Compact Columbus Zonal Aluminium Frame with Replace End
    Fork Carbon Aero straight blade
    Brakes Shimano 105 racing brakes
    Tyres Maxxis Xenith 700 x 23c smooth racing tyres
    Spokes Stainless steel
    Rims Alex RL-2002 double wall CNC alloy rims
    Hubs Shimano 105 quick release
    Gear Set Shimano 105 18 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano 105
    Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
    Freewheel Shimano 105 12T-23T
    Shifters Shimano 105 Flightdeck-ready STI
    Crank Shimano 105
    Chain Shimano HG73
    Pedals Wellgo MG9
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-5500
    Seatpost Ritchey Comp 27.2 x 230L Aero alloy
    Saddle Selle Success Cyclops NSAS Pure Gel
    Stem Ritchey Comp A-head stem
    Head Sleek A-head
    Handlebar Ritchey Comp racing handlebar
    Weight Approximately 8kg

  10. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    I just purchased the Specialized Allez Comp from Blair Stockwell at LifeCycle in Brisbane. And I live 5000km away.

    He also has a 03 Specialized Allez Sport (105) AU$1,299 (black and red Zebra Stipes look very cool but may not be every ones choice)

    The Comp (Ultegra + Columbus Frame) was a bargain at AU$2,699

    I hope it's OK to post the link (if not my aplogies) http://www.lifecycle.net.au/index.php/26

    Contact Blair Stockwell [email protected]

    I highly recommend LifeCycle in Bris.