Purely out of curiousity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slipstreaming buses is just reward for all you hard work on your own in my opinion. It really is satisfying to go so quickly with such little effort. Whats the point in living if you dont take risks. As long as you are endangering just you then I dont see a problem.

I was riding over the penines recently and on the way down with a wind behind me my poor little bike was seeing some ridiculous speeds which would have brought on the most pain I have ever experienced if it had gone worng; but it was such a memorable day. I did however experience that pain trying to get back up the mountain(!) with a head wind but that was the last thing on my mind on the way down.

Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> If your lucky you will be undertaking a 4x4 with bullbars at the time and the 4x4 driver will end
> up with a speeding ticket.

Nice thought, but it takes two pictures to get a ticket issued. The speed is accurately calculated
from the distance travelled in the time between the two snaps. OTOH it would be immensely satisfying
to get into the two pictures triggered by a speeding 4x4 and know that both of you were above the
posted speed but only one of you will be finding that letter on the doormat. :)

--
Dave...

"Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Thomas Buck" <La de la de la> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Live fast, die young. Stupidity at its finest, that be me.

I've left it a bit late to die young, I'm afraid. Maybe I can achieve it before I'm a complete
geriatric.

> You're not alone :eek:(. It's quite easy to do 40 behind a good double decker.

A **** double decker OTOH may not be capable of doing 40. :) The problem with the modern buses is
that they have pretty zippy acceleration so hanging on up to their cruising speed is more difficult
than in days of yore.

--
Dave...

Tony Raven wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>>Hand held guns can detect hockey pucks at about 90mph going directly at them. Don't know if its
>>the same technology in fixed cameras though. Anyway there is no compulsion for a speedo on a
>>bicycle let alone a calibrated one like on a motor vehicle. How are we meant to know if we are
>>going faster than the limit or not ?
>
>
> Easy. When you are going at 35mph you are keeping up with some of the cars ;-)
>
> Tony
>

Only if you are in a 20mph zone.

"Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "MichaelB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was wondering, what might happen to you if you whizz past a speed camera a little over the
> > limit and it catches you.
>
> I've been curious as to whether bikes do trigger speed cameras.
>
> Around my neck of the woods we have a lot of 20mph zones with the speed advisor things (they
> just show your speed on big LCD display). I've been meaning to give one a go to see if it does
> pick up a bike.
>

Yup I trigger the one near me. It helps to calibrate my speedo ;)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:35:34 GMT, MichaelB
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)I was wondering, what might happen to you if you whizz past a speed )camera a little over the
:limit and it catches you. Now I hate people )who speed in their cars and whinge about speed
:cameras, but, cycling is )a sport and getting the most out of yourself involves going fast. If
:)this puts you over the speed limit, purely by accident you understand, )what might happen to you?
:What can anybody possibly do? You must also )appreciate that cars are about 20 times heavier than a
:bike and rider )so consequently a cyclist has a twentieth of the energy to dissipate in )an
:accident. ) )

They'll trace you from your registration plate and likely ban you.
--
Comm again, Mike.

MSeries wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> MSeries wrote:
>>>
>>> Hand held guns can detect hockey pucks at about 90mph going directly at them. Don't know if its
>>> the same technology in fixed cameras though. Anyway there is no compulsion for a speedo on a
>>> bicycle let alone a calibrated one like on a motor vehicle. How are we meant to know if we are
>>> going faster than the limit or not ?
>>
>> Easy. When you are going at 35mph you are keeping up with some of the cars ;-)
>>
>> Tony
>
> You presume the cars are breaking the speed limit then.

_Some_ of the cars

Tony

On 11 Feb 2004 03:21:29 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> If your lucky you will be undertaking a 4x4 with bullbars at the time and the 4x4 driver will end
>> up with a speeding ticket.
>
>Nice thought, but it takes two pictures to get a ticket issued. The speed is accurately calculated
>from the distance travelled in the time between the two snaps. OTOH it would be immensely
>satisfying to get into the two pictures triggered by a speeding 4x4 and know that both of you were
>above the posted speed but only one of you will be finding that letter on the doormat. :)

I thought that the speed was calculated by radar, and the second picture was only used in the case
of a dispute.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Dave Larrington wrote:

> What Tony said, plus d) It's unlikely that the camera will go off anyway. At least, the one at the
> bottom of Stamford Hill never has when passed by rapidly descending cyclists.

A couple of weeks ago I apparently set off a 30 mph flashing signs in Horingsea, Cambs. I was
cycling into a strong headwind on an unsuitable bike, probably travelling at about 10 mph! I didn't
see any cars that looked like they could have been responsible. Most odd.

--
Daniel Auger

Please remove "_nospam" from address to reply.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:05:32 +0000, Gonzalez

>On 11 Feb 2004 03:21:29 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>
>>Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>> If your lucky you will be undertaking a 4x4 with bullbars at the time and the 4x4 driver will
>>> end up with a speeding ticket.
>>
>>Nice thought, but it takes two pictures to get a ticket issued. The speed is accurately calculated
>>from the distance travelled in the time between the two snaps. OTOH it would be immensely
>>satisfying to get into the two pictures triggered by a speeding 4x4 and know that both of you were
>>above the posted speed but only one of you will be finding that letter on the doormat. :)
>
>I thought that the speed was calculated by radar, and the second picture was only used in the case
>of a dispute.

Nope. First flash fixes your position at the start of the measured distance. The second flash occurs
a known time later and fixes your finishing position. Hence your velocity can be calculated.

Interestingly, a fire fighter I know who lives locally tells me that when they are on a "shout" and
get one flash, they ignore it. If they get a second flash, they have to report where it happened so
that they avoid prosecution. I know it would be fairly obvious from the photo that its a big red
fire engine - but they may have not been traveling to an emergency and hence would have to keep to
the speed limit!

--
Paul Lydon Winster, Derbyshire, UK

In message <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> writes
>
>"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:05:32 +0000, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >On 11 Feb 2004 03:21:29 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>> >
>> >>Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> >>
>> >>> If your lucky you will be undertaking a 4x4 with bullbars at the time and the 4x4 driver will
>> >>> end up with a speeding ticket.
>> >>
>> >>Nice thought, but it takes two pictures to get a ticket issued. The speed is accurately
>> >>calculated from the distance travelled in the time between the two snaps. OTOH it would be
>> >>immensely satisfying to get into the two pictures triggered by a speeding 4x4 and know that
>> >>both of you were above the posted speed but only one of you will be finding that letter on the
>> >>doormat. :)
>> >
>> >I thought that the speed was calculated by radar, and the second picture was only used in the
>> >case of a dispute.
>>
>> Nope. First flash fixes your position at the start of the measured distance. The second flash
>> occurs a known time later and fixes your finishing position. Hence your velocity can be
>> calculated.
>
>The triggering mechanism (radar) does many clever things and gives a precise speed automatically.
>The photo is not something that is automatically processed. So really, yep.
>
>The recent case where a reflected radar signal gave a car doing 13 mph a speed of something like 56
>mph shows that they don't use the photos.
>
>
Indeed, the photos is really there just as evidence of the car that triggered the camera, and also
it can be used to calculate the speed as well if for some reason the radar speed reading was
challenged.

--
Chris French, Leeds

"Daniel Auger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> > What Tony said, plus d) It's unlikely that the camera will go off
anyway.
> > At least, the one at the bottom of Stamford Hill never has when passed
by
> > rapidly descending cyclists.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I apparently set off a 30 mph flashing signs in Horingsea, Cambs. I was
> cycling into a strong headwind on an unsuitable bike, probably travelling at about 10 mph! I
> didn't see any cars that looked like they could have been responsible. Most odd.
>
> --
> Daniel Auger
>
> Please remove "_nospam" from address to reply.

I've seen 'em go off (single flash) when there has been no sign of fast moving traffic, so something
else is going on. Either I'm walking really really fast (unlikely) or they're picking up dust or
they've been set to single flash occassionally, just to keep any passing motorists on their
toes...or...something else (malfunction ?....) Dave.

"Paul Lydon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:05:32 +0000, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 11 Feb 2004 03:21:29 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
> >
> >>Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >>
> >>> If your lucky you will be undertaking a 4x4 with bullbars at the time and the 4x4 driver will
> >>> end up with a speeding ticket.
> >>
> >>Nice thought, but it takes two pictures to get a ticket issued. The speed is accurately
> >>calculated from the distance travelled in the time between the two snaps. OTOH it would be
> >>immensely satisfying to get into the two pictures triggered by a speeding 4x4 and know that both
> >>of you were above the posted speed but only one of you will be finding that letter on the
> >>doormat. :)
> >
> >I thought that the speed was calculated by radar, and the second picture was only used in the
> >case of a dispute.
>
> Nope. First flash fixes your position at the start of the measured distance. The second flash
> occurs a known time later and fixes your finishing position. Hence your velocity can be
> calculated.

The triggering mechanism (radar) does many clever things and gives a precise speed automatically.
The photo is not something that is automatically processed. So really, yep.

The recent case where a reflected radar signal gave a car doing 13 mph a speed of something like 56
mph shows that they don't use the photos.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:42:28 +0000, Paul Lydon

:)Interestingly, a fire fighter I know who lives locally tells me that )when they are on a "shout"
:and get one flash, they ignore it. If they )get a second flash, they have to report where it
:happened so that they )avoid prosecution. I know it would be fairly obvious from the photo )that
:its a big red fire engine - but they may have not been traveling )to an emergency and hence would
:have to keep to the speed limit! )

One of my pleasures in life is chasing police cars down the motorway at 80+ mph. Unfortunately, as
soon as the put the blues & twos on, I'm in a sticky position !
--
Comm again, Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.