Purple Haze

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, May 13, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    This year I am fortunate to be witnessing a really good floral display in our local desert. One
    particular piece of flora, I had yet to encounter in eight years of living here. I wasn't quite sure
    of the name until Sunday, while riding with a hottie from Moab who is a seasonal NPS employee in
    that area. It's called Scorpion Weed. I knew they were stoners...

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503010.jpg

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503017.jpg

    Now, we turn to the red side of the spectrum with the ever-beautiful Claretcup cactus. My
    personal favorite.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503012.jpg

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503016.jpg

    Now for some whitebread, the Utah state flower as chosen by grade school students throughout the
    Beehive State in the late 19th Century, the Sego Lily. Last year they were nonexistant because of
    the drought. This year they are proliferating the desert scrubland, making a carpet of white and
    light lavender (lavender caused by cross pollination from a relative...funny, an inbred state
    flower) in many fields throughout the area.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503014.jpg

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503013.jpg

    Green grass and low tides forever in this former inland sea.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503002.jpg

    JD

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Man, you were almost poetic in your descriptions! :) Nice pics...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    > This year I am fortunate to be witnessing a really good floral display in our local desert. One
    > particular piece of flora, I had yet to encounter in eight years of living here. I wasn't quite
    > sure of the name until Sunday, while riding with a hottie from Moab who is a seasonal NPS employee
    > in that area. It's called Scorpion Weed. I knew they were stoners...
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503010.jpg
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503017.jpg
    >
    > Now, we turn to the red side of the spectrum with the ever-beautiful Claretcup cactus. My personal
    > favorite.
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503012.jpg
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503016.jpg
    >
    > Now for some whitebread, the Utah state flower as chosen by grade school students throughout the
    > Beehive State in the late 19th Century, the Sego Lily. Last year they were nonexistant because of
    > the drought. This year they are proliferating the desert scrubland, making a carpet of white and
    > light lavender (lavender caused by cross pollination from a relative...funny, an inbred state
    > flower) in many fields throughout the area.
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503014.jpg
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503013.jpg
    >
    > Green grass and low tides forever in this former inland sea.
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503002.jpg
    >
    > JD

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:01:31 -0400, Zilla wrote:
    > Man, you were almost poetic in your descriptions! :)

    Maybe you're too young to recognize lyrics like "Green grass and high tides forever"? It was a great
    reference (to a great song), and I wished I'd made comment on it before sending off my reply.

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:01:31 -0400, Zilla wrote:
    > > Man, you were almost poetic in your descriptions! :)
    >
    > Maybe you're too young to recognize lyrics like "Green grass and high tides forever"? It was
    > a great reference (to a great song), and I wished I'd made comment on it before sending off
    > my reply.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    Heh, heh, the Outlaws. We used to play that song in my band when I was in my late 20's, and that was
    10+ years ago! So yes I'm "too young" (still) but not "that" young... :)

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:01:31 -0400, Zilla wrote:
    > > > Man, you were almost poetic in your descriptions! :)
    > >
    > > Maybe you're too young to recognize lyrics like "Green grass and high tides forever"? It was a
    > > great reference (to a great song), and I wished I'd made comment on it before sending off my
    > > reply.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
    >
    > Heh, heh, the Outlaws. We used to play that song in my band when I was in my late 20's, and that
    > was 10+ years ago! So yes I'm "too young" (still) but not "that" young... :)

    hey, i got that MP3 (no real point to responding, just did)
    --
    ~Travis

  7. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

  8. D Heath

    D Heath Guest

    > This year I am fortunate to be witnessing a really good floral display in our local desert. One
    > particular piece of flora, I had yet to

    JD, those were worth seeing. Thanks for taking the time to share them!
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath To reply, poke out my eye.

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > hey, i got that MP3 (no real point to responding, just did)
    > --
    > ~Travis

    Travis, for some odd reason whenever I see one of your responses like this I can't help but think of
    that "Special Ed" character on the show "Crank Yankers".

  10. Spider

    Spider Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >>hey, i got that MP3 (no real point to responding, just did)
    >>--
    >>~Travis
    >

    > Travis, for some odd reason whenever I see one of your responses like this I can't help but think
    > of that "Special Ed" character on the show "Crank Yankers".

    BWAHAHAH !!

  11. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > hey, i got that MP3 (no real point to responding, just did)
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    >
    > Travis, for some odd reason whenever I see one of your responses like this
    > can't help but think of that "Special Ed" character on the show "Crank Yankers".

    I've got mail!

    Jon Bond it was funny for about 10 minutes, got old pretty quickly though...

  12. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Even after listening to some good music on the way to the trailhead, I had "Purple Haze" on the
    brain through most of the ride last night because of this thread.

    ...anyone ever noticed how that one line sounds a lot like, "'scuze me while I kiss dis guy"?

  13. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    BB wrote:
    > Even after listening to some good music on the way to the trailhead, I had "Purple Haze" on the
    > brain through most of the ride last night because of this thread.
    >
    > ...anyone ever noticed how that one line sounds a lot like, "'scuze me while I kiss dis guy"?

    Nope. Is there something you want to tell Dr Freud, Blaine?

  14. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2003 13:08:45 GMT, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> hey, i got that MP3 (no real point to responding, just did)
    >> --
    >> ~Travis
    >
    >Travis, for some odd reason whenever I see one of your responses like this I can't help but think
    >of that "Special Ed" character on the show "Crank Yankers".

    YEA!

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Even after listening to some good music on the way to the trailhead, I had "Purple Haze" on the
    > brain through most of the ride last night because of this thread.
    >
    > ...anyone ever noticed how that one line sounds a lot like, "'scuze me while I kiss dis guy"?

    It's a classically referenced misheard lyric, a bit like 'My ears are alight' and shit....

    Shaun aRe

  16. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Even after listening to some good music on the way to the trailhead, I
    had
    > > "Purple Haze" on the brain through most of the ride last night because
    of
    > > this thread.
    > >
    > > ...anyone ever noticed how that one line sounds a lot like, "'scuze me while I kiss dis guy"?
    >

    > It's a classically referenced misheard lyric, a bit like 'My ears are alight' and shit....
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Let me guess, The Who?

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  17. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > This year I am fortunate to be witnessing a really good floral display in our local desert. One
    > particular piece of flora, I had yet to encounter in eight years of living here. I wasn't quite
    > sure of the name until Sunday, while riding with a hottie from Moab who is a seasonal NPS employee
    > in that area.

    Intwerp? 1039's ... they're like potato chips.

    > It's called Scorpion Weed.

    Phacelia? Could be ... five petals ... stamens look right. It doesn't quite look like Phacelia
    crenulata ... could be the picture or it might be a sub-species. Can you ask the 1039 the next time
    you see her? (If there is a next time).

    > I knew they were stoners...

    Intwerps? ... stoners ... nah they just act like that.

    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503010.jpg
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/050503017.jpg

    Nice shots.

    Stop and smell the flowers.