Purpose of Bicycle Shorts Padding?

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:55:50 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>I am always a bit bemused by the sport clothing industry. They develop
>a good design that works well, such as PI's shorts of 6-7 years ago, and
>then keep changing it every year to make it "new and improved" but it
>works less well with each iteration.

I've also been somewhat disappointed by PI's evolution - at that time,
I felt that their shorts were well ahead of their competitors.

On Wed, 16 May 2007 08:42:12 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> >As you noted in Volae's 'bent-specific shorts, it's also a "modesty"
>> >thing.

>> http://tinyurl.com/2n4dak

>ROTFL!

Indeed - but I've seen a number of versions of that photo, none of
which are strictly identical in the critical area - which suggests
that they may have been "helped" somewhat by PhotoShop ...

On 5/16/07 12:42 PM, in article [email protected],
"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/2n4dak

>> ROTFL!

> Indeed - but I've seen a number of versions of that photo, none of
> which are strictly identical in the critical area - which suggests
> that they may have been "helped" somewhat by PhotoShop ...

That is funny! If that image was not "helped" by Photoshop one would think
that before having a photo taken they could have gone into a restroom or
ducked behind a tree and sorted things out. At least if their package
showed it would be in the expected location!

Bill Westphal wrote:
> The Boure is from Durango, Colorado, and Voler, California, but my
> legs are too sore to get up to hike to the closet to check where
> they're actually made.

Voler "Made in USA." (Had some hanging off a file cabinet to dry before
this afternoon's commute.)

Pat

On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:45:49 -0500, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:30:37 -0600, Bill Westphal <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> writes:

>>> I agree. A thick chamois just bunches up and causes problems. I have
>>> some old Pearl Izumi shorts which have a really thin chamois and are my
>>> most comfortable shorts. New PI's have this weird variable thickness
>>> blue 3D thing that is not very comfortable.
>>>
>>> Who makes good quality shorts with a thin chamois?

>>Boure (boure.com), Voler (volowear.com for non custom design),
>>Castelli (from various retailers).

velowear.com for the Voler company

>I thought the Voler pads were rather thick. Of course, that's
>comparing them to 4-5 year old Performance and Nashbar house-brand
>cheapies (the last I bought before I started buying Voler's).
>
>Pat
>
>Email address works as is.

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:55:50 -0500, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [---]
>
> >I am always a bit bemused by the sport clothing industry. They
> >develop a good design that works well, such as PI's shorts of 6-7
> >years ago, and then keep changing it every year to make it "new and
> >improved" but it works less well with each iteration.

> I've also been somewhat disappointed by PI's evolution - at that
> time, I felt that their shorts were well ahead of their competitors.

I agree. My old PIs are great shorts, but after many years of use and
many launderings, the chamois is finally starting to fail. My new PIs
are fine for short rides under 50 miles, but for longer rides there
tends to be too much chafing.

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:27:51 -0500, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Who makes good quality shorts with a thin chamois?

> Performance Century

Another recommendation- thanks!

So, thus far we have four mentioned shorts with a thin chamois (sorry
about the multiline URLs which will break in many newsreaders.
Should've used TinyURL):

Nashbar Fusion Splice or Essential short:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1208&brand=&s
ku=18247&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Shorts

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1208&brand=&s
ku=17673&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Shorts

Boure which has three models, the most expensive having the thinnest
chamois:

http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

Voler, with a high end short and a medium range short only a few dollars
more expensive than the Nashbars:

http://www.velowear.com/products/1110104BLKXSM.aspx

Performance Century:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19873&subcategory_ID=

Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Westphal wrote:
> > The Boure is from Durango, Colorado, and Voler, California, but my
> > legs are too sore to get up to hike to the closet to check where
> > they're actually made.

> Voler "Made in USA." (Had some hanging off a file cabinet to dry
> before this afternoon's commute.)

While I am not particularly insistent on Made-in-the-USA clothing (we'd
all have a hard time getting dressed suitably for work if we were), it's
nice to see that there are some options for clothes made here.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:27:51 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The ones on the shorts I like are more like 1/8" thick rather than
>> 1/4" thick.

> I agree. A thick chamois just bunches up and causes problems. I have
> some old Pearl Izumi shorts which have a really thin chamois and are my
> most comfortable shorts. New PI's have this weird variable thickness
> blue 3D thing that is not very comfortable.
>
> Who makes good quality shorts with a thin chamois?

Boure "Pro" shorts have padding thinner than most. A RAAM veteran friend
swears by them.

http://www.boure.com/1100.html

My favorites were some Hind shorts from about 10 years ago, with a
synthetic "chamois" no thicker than the real thing. Real chamois is
still available, but way too fussy for me.

Both shorts and saddles have too much padding these days. Together
they're a real pain.

But words like "thick," "soft," etc. make for better ad copy.

Matt O.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:30:37 -0600, Bill Westphal wrote:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The ones on the shorts I like are more like 1/8" thick rather than
>>> 1/4" thick.

>> I agree. A thick chamois just bunches up and causes problems. I have
>> some old Pearl Izumi shorts which have a really thin chamois and are my
>> most comfortable shorts. New PI's have this weird variable thickness
>> blue 3D thing that is not very comfortable.
>>
>> Who makes good quality shorts with a thin chamois?

> Boure (boure.com), Voler (volowear.com for non custom design),
> Castelli (from various retailers). Castelli is way too pricy, but the
> first 2 are quite reasonable and very high quality. The newer
> Pearlizumi and Assos have very thick pads. Pearlizumi doesn't have
> the quality of the others, but the Boure and Voler are just as well
> made and designed as the Assos, at a fraction of the cost. Also, I
> prefer unbranded when possible, and those first 2 fit the bill.

I've had great luck with Voler shorts too, but I wouldn't call them thin.
I wish I could find thinner, like my old Hind ones.

The cheaper PI shorts do have thin pads, but they're junk. I have a
pair that are excruciating to ride for more than an hour. Plus the fabric
is thin, the fit is skimpy, and they're falling apart. I don't know about
the more expensive PI stuff. It just looks overpriced to me.

AFAIK, Castelli still makes shorts with real chamois.

Assos are so thick they look like $200 diapers.

Matt O.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:55:50 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> The Voler hype is a bit much, though with "Quantum DSX fabric" and an
> "anatomically sculpted silhouette with the benefits of "Carbon Micro
> Mesh panels provide maximum breathability for comfort, and the exclusive
> anti-bacterial 3-tier molded Ion pad puts padding where needed for
> specific pressure points with minimal material on the sides to conform
> to your movement."
>
> Yikes, I just want some shorts. Presumably the less breathless and
> cheaper Voler shorts (e.g., the Equipe) are less intimidating.

AFAIK, the Equipe is the same they've been selling for years, and that
I've been buying for $35-40 on sale. It's only recently that Voler has
gone upmarket with higher priced product lines, fancy brand names, and
techy gobbledygook.

> I am always a bit bemused by the sport clothing industry. They develop
> a good design that works well, such as PI's shorts of 6-7 years ago, and
> then keep changing it every year to make it "new and improved" but it
> works less well with each iteration.

Or they expand a successful product's name into a brand name for a
whole line of products, often dropping the original good product and
replacing it with a bunch of ****.

Matt O.

On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:22:39 -0400, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Both shorts and saddles have too much padding these days.

There are plenty of saddles available with very little padding
nowadays -- look around.

I think there is more diversity in saddle design and availability than
every

--
JT
****************************

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The ones on the shorts I like are more like 1/8" thick
>> rather than 1/4" thick.

> I agree. A thick chamois just bunches up and causes
> problems. I have some old Pearl Izumi shorts which have a
> really thin chamois and are my most comfortable shorts.
> New PI's have this weird variable thickness blue 3D thing
> that is not very comfortable.
>
> Who makes good quality shorts with a thin chamois?

Sugoi does, or used to at least- mine are a few years old.
Nice and thin, not too much padding, certainly not the diaper-
like feel of all the newer shorts I've seen recently.

They do have a newer, thick chamois though, so make sure you
can check them out if you're looking at them...

On May 16, 5:47 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nashbar Fusion Splice or Essential short:
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1208&bran...
> ku=18247&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Shorts

The Fusion Splice is different from the Splice shorts I got from
Nashbar and recommended in a previous posting, so I can't say whether
the "chamois" is the same or not. My guess is NOT, since the chamois
now has a name (I don't recall the older version having a specially
named chamois).

news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:30:37 -0600, Bill Westphal wrote:

<SNIP>

> I've had great luck with Voler shorts too, but I wouldn't call them thin.
> I wish I could find thinner, like my old Hind ones.
>
> The cheaper PI shorts do have thin pads, but they're junk. I have a
> pair that are excruciating to ride for more than an hour. Plus the fabric
> is thin, the fit is skimpy, and they're falling apart. I don't know about
> the more expensive PI stuff. It just looks overpriced to me.
>
> AFAIK, Castelli still makes shorts with real chamois.
>
> Assos are so thick they look like $200 diapers.

This is because Assos uses bank notes as padding -- I believe it is high
denomination Swiss Francs. -- Jay Beattie.

On Thu, 17 May 2007 06:06:48 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:22:39 -0400, Matt O'Toole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Both shorts and saddles have too much padding these days.

> There are plenty of saddles available with very little padding
> nowadays -- look around.
>
> I think there is more diversity in saddle design and availability than
> every

This is probably true, and yes, there is definitely a wider selection than
ever -- perhaps too wide!

The thin ones can be hard to find, especially at local shops. For
example, the original Flite is thinly padded, comfortable, and very well
regarded. It's still available, but you're more likely to find a Flite
Kevlar Genuine Gel Embroidered Farthole or something, which just
isn't the same.

Matt O.