Purposeful inefficiency, i.e. handicapping

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by throckmorton, Feb 19, 2012.

1. throckmorton

throckmorton New Member

Situation: You have only so many hours of training that you can do in a week due to other commitments, but at least some of those hours are done with a partner who rides at a lower level than yourself. You enjoy the ride and don't want to leave him/her in the dust, but at the same time you want to get a little more TSS out of that ride.

So, you decide to decrease your efficiency (only strong egos need apply).

Subtle options:
    -lower tire pressure
    -heavier bike, wheels, equipment
    -less aero bike position
    -less aero clothing

Not so subtle:
    -backpack
    -nobby tires
    -mtn bike

Out there:
    -fill a tire with water

I haven't tried any of this stuff but it has crossed my mind, and I'm wondering if anyone will admit to do anything like this (and potentially have any tips for some of the subtle options).

Think of this as a handicap would be used in golf -- to get 2 people of differing abilities to train at the same level.

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't adjust my position on the bike too much but most of the above were done by the Hour Record holder and prologue expert Chris Boardman. During the winter of 91/92 prior to his Olympic pursuit win and first hour record he went out on a mountian bike while the rest of his club mates rode their road bikes. There were apparently a couple of rides where he was complete stuffed after 4 hours...

It's be interesting to see how you'd adjust TSS for things like bigger/heavier tires with less air in them.

3. BiznessTime

BiznessTime New Member

Heavier bike/wheels. Heavy saddle bag. Extra water bottle in back pocket.

4. cheetahmk7

cheetahmk7 Well-Known Member

Towing children in a bike trailer.

5. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

It seems like it is even a challenge even when the two or more have similar abilities like in my case this past weekend. I had planned to do a 70 mile L3 endurance ride on Saturday and a guy in my group contacted me wanting ride with me. Not only does he generally have better sustainable powerout (in my observation), but I was coming to this training ride already fatigued from several days of L4 type intervals was double trouble. Had I been fresh I probably could have stayed with him better.

He kept getting out ahead of me and then coming to a stop to let me catch up. IMO - that was not good for him and I told him several times not to wait on me that he really should consider his own training.

I hope you find a way, but I don't think you will be a happy camper if you begin to detrain. Maybe you can arrange your schedule like in my case that you are fatigued on that day and a recovery / endurance ride puts you more at your friend's pace. It does not seem reasonable to make equipment changes to handicap, but that is just my perspective.

I know for me I have been sitting on both sides of that equation. I have been the slower one and at times I have shown up fresh and with goals of training at a solid higher pace. I have come to the point of just being honest with my friends and telling them I have to train alone. Man, that has been a really tough decision to make. It has somewhat alienated me with my cycling friends and I am getting dropped from email lists, but on the other side I am really happy on how I am progressing in my condition. Most of my friends are now starting to understand what I am trying to achieve.

Best wishes

6. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

......I just thought of another friend that has helped me in training. I would like to ride with him more, but he is well above my level. I do get to ride with him a couple times a year and it is the same issue. It has to be a day that he is doing recovery and I am fresh and able to ride near my FT for a good bit of the ride. That is how much difference there is between the two of us. Because I understand training I respect this and don't even ask him if I can train with him. He has to do what he has to do.

7. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

I'm with Felt Rider... invite the guy to ride with you on an endurance or recovery day... or meet up with him AFTER you have done the business portion of your ride... don't screw up your ride.. you have to be selfish sometimes.. depending on how much there is between the two of you personally, I might actually try to baby carrier thing... but you need a kid to make that one work.. guess you could fill it up with heavy stones.. lol...

I would try to tell them not to pull at all.. if they can't hold your wheel in the draft without pulling at all, they are on the wrong ride... i feel the same way with group rides.. if you can't hold the wheel in the draft without pulling you are on the wrong ride, should ask for directions home and should excuse yourself..