Pushbikes and pasties

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2711977.stm

    One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had just
    two pasties to sustain him.

    "I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had just
    > two pasties to sustain him.

    I've been listening with some amusement to various reports from drivers coming up on R2, moaning
    about how dreadful it is. "In this day and age..." etc. whingeth one from his moby on the M11. I
    finished that one with "... with people as well connected by telephone and radio reporting of
    traffic through RDS, you'd think people would hear warnings not to go out and actually pay some
    attention to them!"

    Deary me...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. W K

    W K Guest

    > From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2711977.stm
    >

    > One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had just
    > two pasties to sustain him.
    >
    > "I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.

    I could do it quicker on a unicycle, even though I'd have to spend the first 8 hours relearning how
    to ride it.

  4. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had just
    > two pasties to sustain him.

    I don't watch Breakfast News but let me guess , snow in the home counties so suddenly it's a
    "story"? :-(

    --
    Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
    associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  5. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    W K wrote:
    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2711977.stm
    >>

    >>One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had just
    >>two pasties to sustain him.
    >>
    >>"I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.
    >

    > I could do it quicker on a unicycle, even though I'd have to spend the first 8 hours relearning
    > how to ride it.

    I could do it quicker with a unicycle, although I'd have to go and buy one, and then walk along
    carrying it!

    James

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    > > One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had
    > > just two pasties to sustain him.
    >
    > I've been listening with some amusement to various reports from drivers coming up on R2, moaning
    > about how dreadful it is. "In this day and age..." etc. whingeth one from his moby on the M11. I
    > finished that one with "... with people as well connected by telephone and radio reporting of
    > traffic through RDS, you'd think people would hear warnings not to go out and actually pay some
    > attention to them!"

    I produce a safety video for my work colleagues every month. This month's was how to prepare for
    car journeys in winter. I got stuck in the snow myself filming the clip.

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zwinter.htm

  7. Simon Mason wrote:

    > I produce a safety video for my work colleagues every month. This month's was how to prepare for
    > car journeys in winter. I got stuck in the snow myself filming the clip.
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zwinter.htm

    I'm sure it's probably interesting but to me it is just a pile of character. What is an asf file?

    Colin

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > "I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.

    Of course he could - you usually can in London!

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > I produce a safety video for my work colleagues every month. This month's was how to prepare for
    > car journeys in winter. I got stuck in the snow myself filming the clip.

    How about Plan B: a bike and some woolly socks?

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:06:56 +0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm sure it's probably interesting but to me it is just a pile of character. What is an asf file?

    Not sure what it is but Winamp 3 opens it, although the picture appears to be upsidedown or
    back to front.

    Should there be sound too, Simon?

    Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    > > I produce a safety video for my work colleagues every month. This
    month's
    > > was how to prepare for car journeys in winter. I got stuck in the snow myself filming the clip.
    > >
    > > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zwinter.htm
    >
    > I'm sure it's probably interesting but to me it is just a pile of character. What is an asf file?

    "Advanced steaming format" . You right click on it, select save target as, download it, then play it
    in Media Player, Winamp or Real Player One. Simon

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Should there be sound too, Simon?

    There is sound , but it's only my footsteps and the wind of the Yorkshire Wolds. Simon

  13. Richard Bates wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:06:56 +0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> in
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm sure it's probably interesting but to me it is just a pile of character. What is an asf file?
    >

    > Not sure what it is but Winamp 3 opens it, although the picture appears to be upsidedown or back
    > to front.

    Ah well, I have a distinct lack of winamp on the unix system I use.

    Colin

  14. On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:30:49 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> Should there be sound too, Simon?
    >
    > There is sound , but it's only my footsteps and the wind of the Yorkshire Wolds. Simon
    Why is is upside down and back to front? Is it me or you that's done that?

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    > > "I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.
    >
    > Of course he could - you usually can in London!
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===

    I dunno...'*in* my pushbike' is a bit of a surreal concept..

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > I dunno...'*in* my pushbike' is a bit of a surreal concept..

    He clearly has a fully faired velomobile. (Or perhaps just somewhat lacking in clues...)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:30:49 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> in
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >>
    > >> Should there be sound too, Simon?
    > >
    > > There is sound , but it's only my footsteps and the wind of the
    Yorkshire
    > > Wolds.
    > > Simon
    > Why is is upside down and back to front? Is it me or you that's done that?

    It used to do that in an old Winamp version I had, the latest one I have plays OK.

    Simon

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > "Advanced steaming format"

    Must be a Microsoft thing, then :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  19. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2711977.stm
    > >

    > > One motorist told BBC Breakfast News that he had only moved two miles in 10 hours and had had
    > > just two pasties to sustain him.
    > >
    > > "I could have gone quicker in my pushbike," said Stuart Grist.
    >
    > I could do it quicker on a unicycle, even though I'd have to spend the
    first
    > 8 hours relearning how to ride it.

    The strains of a 1960' (I think) song keep rattling round my brain

    "When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn"

    http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/flowers02.rm

  20. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > I produce a safety video for my work colleagues every month. This month's was how to prepare for
    > car journeys in winter. I got stuck in the snow myself filming the clip.

    Am I right in thinking the spade is to spread the Nutela on the bread -- no other implement seemed
    to be shown :)