Pushing The Limit Of Women

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Corzhens, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

There is thing called female barrier. I heard it in one of my rides with an informal group. During a rest in a hilly roadside, the guys were talking about the limitations of the female rider when it comes to strength. Out of courtesy, I pretended not to hear but I was intently listening. I however agree with them that in cycling, women are no match to men. And that's a fact so why the need to argue?

Tags:

2. Lizel

Lizel Active Member

That's not true. Why would you say that women are no match to men? On the contrary there are some women that would beat men in certain cycling races.

Corzhens likes this.
  3. Corzhens

I like your bold and firm stand on this thread. But on the contrary, I am just basing my opinion on my experience. I had some stints with an organized group of cyclists (although they are not professionals) and the mentality is to always give preference to the women cyclists because, presumably, the women are weaker than the men. So if you say that women can beat men in some cycling races, I would agree but it would depend on the quality of racers.

4. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

Are you kidding? Why even bring up this subject? There's nothing worse than being prejudiced toward your own gender/sex. Women can compete on the same level of men in most competitions, and cycling is no different. I know many women that can cycle over 100 miles with ease, and they can compete with most of the other men I know. It's idiotic to say that a female barrier exists because that's completely untrue in cycling, of all things. Overall skill of the rider in question is the only thing that matters, not their gender.

5. Corzhens

Well, if that is the case, it is only fair if the cycling tour would include women so as to remove that discrimination tag. I only brought up this issue because I want to know if it is possible to have a mixed race of any gender. Practically in all sports, there is a demarcation line - an event solely for the male and another event solely for female. Although in tennis, there is the so called mixed doubles where the female can play alongside with the male.

6. Keyan

Keyan Member

I get your point corhenz I appreciate the fact that yes tennis allows a mix of male and female in the doubles. I think it will also be cool to see a mix of racers compete but then again let us face it men are different from women. Is it OK for women to be on the saddle for hours competing with men? I do not know

Corzhens likes this.
  7. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

All anyone needs to know about men and women competing against each other is that two women just passed the US Army Rangers test, which includes weeks of backpacking in harsh conditions with little food and water or sleep. They made history alongside their male counterparts, and that might not be a professional sport, but it's sure tougher than one. If a woman can do that, then women can obviously compete alongside and against men. It's sexist to say otherwise, and there are plenty of women breaking through barriers to prove people like YOU wrong.

Corzhens likes this.
  8. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Crazy silly! :D

Informal group, limits of female rider strength is the subject. We ride with an informal group and my wife rides with us. Some funny facts. We have ridden with several forum members on several forums. I have had some members tell me it was OK to bring my wife along and if needed, we would hold back a bit for her. Turns out my wife has had to hold back for many of the male riders we have met. We've had big groups of forum members (30 strong) do 70 mile rides and she has finished the ride way ahead of most of them. We pretty much get a laugh when we go on a ride and the male riders say, "I can not let Gina drop me on this ride!". :eek:

Good thing about Strava, recorded data. On our usual 45 mile ride there is a favorite segment of mine that comes near the end of the ride. It is 7.3 miles long. My wife's average on her single bike is 20.9 MPH average. She ranks number 2656 out of 9584 riders.

That is posting faster ride times than nearly 7000 riders. Can you guess how many are male riders and how many are much younger that she is? FTR, she is 52 years old and has 9 grandchildren.

If I look at women only on that segment, there are 150 female riders ahead of her. That is another 150 women that are ahead of that 7000 riders.

I don't know about your informal group but my wife is strong, stronger than many male forum riders we have met and stronger than many many riders around here that we encounter. On our Strava segments we get nearly 9000 riders on some of them so it's not like I am comparing her to a small informal group of 20 riders.

Sorry but...................WOMEN ARE STRONG!!!!

Corzhens likes this.
  9. Runnerdo

Runnerdo New Member

I would beat a man in cycling hands down anytime! My husband ofcourse! He will not join me and often stays behind when I go cycling with the kids. :angry:

10. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I'd argue that all the guys you were riding with would get their asses handed to them on a silver platter by the top women riders. In fact there's no argument to be had there - the likes of Elizabeth Armitstead, Evelyn Stevens, Elisa Longo Borghin and Anna Van Der Breggen would just crush the guys in your group so bad it would be really funny to watch.

The FACT of the matter is, unless your guys hold 1st Cat road racing licenses and compete well at State level, they're gonna be given a hard time by the lasses mention above.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

I don't think that there are any limits to women just because of the fact that they're female. We have the ability to train and improve our fitness levels just as much as anybody else does, and this means that there is no end to what we're able to achieve when we put our minds to it. I think it is wrong to say that we would not be able to achieve certain things, as you might find that this then dissuades people from even trying in the first place, which would be a complete shame. We should be encouraging each other, and saying that certain achievements are impossible just isn't true at all.

gavinfree likes this.
  12. kuroba

kuroba Member

I know this is not true for many women, but I feel it is for me. I'm slower and not as strong as men when it comes to cycling. I push myself on every ride, trying to get better, but my SO could easily leave me behind on any ride if he chose to. And it's worse when it's "that time of the month" (at least for me, I'm even slower, ugh).

I'll keep trying though! :)

Corzhens likes this.
  13. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Women are less strong than men, it's just a matter of anatomy, so what's the point in pushing their limits? Each one is capable of only certain things.

14. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

I don't think women are any more limited to men in what they can achieve regarding cycling.
    Some of the strongest riders I know are women and they can easily beat plenty of the men that we ride with.
    One thing I could see is the sport of cycling skewing more towards men in general. If there are fewer women cycling to begin with, it makes sense that there are fewer strong women cyclists.
    This follows what I've experienced in real life as well, which is when riding with a group there are usually only two women counting me compared to five or six men.

15. Corzhens

This is not to argue but I'm just stating facts. I am a woman, a female, but not a feminist, just a realist. I'm speaking for myself so I admit that women are called the weaker sex because we are weaker than men in general. Take note of that term - IN GENERAL. I am not saying we cannot achieve what we want to achieve, I am just seeing reality that in athletic competitions, there is a separation on gender mainly because of strength, i.e. male over female. It's as simple as that.

16. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

You're stating an opinion. You ended your original post with the comment, "That's a fact, so why the need to argue?" It's not a fact, and telling people that their shouldn't be an argument about this subject doesn't make your OPINION a FACT, or anything resembling a fact.

You can't make a GENERAL statement about women in relation to men if you're just "speaking for myself". So really, what you're doing is calling yourself weaker than men and then trying to state, as a fact, that men are stronger than women, which isn't factually accurate. Perhaps, at the highest levels of competition in some sports, the strongest men will always topple the strongest women, but the opposite is true for many events, too.

17. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

Ignoring how sexist your statement is, it's also the most unintelligent thing I've ever heard. What's the point of pushing their limits? Well, maybe men and women would like to know what they're capable of, and one's capabilities aren't limited by their sex. Ronda Rousey is arguably the biggest fighter in the world right now, Serena Williams is the biggest star in tennis, and countless other females are dominating their sports at a level to which they could match men in that same sport. If you want to make the anatomy argument, then that simply shows that you have no real argument, especially by following up that argument with "Each one is capable of only certain things."

Name more than three things that women can't do that men can without being sexist about it. I bet you can't.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  18. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Seriously? Do you think my statement is sexist? You deny the differences of anatomy?

gavinfree likes this.
  19. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

+ 1000! B) Pushing one's limits is not limited to gender, age, physical limitations. There are men, women, children, seniors and special olympians out there pushing their limits. I'm not sure I would be happy sitting at home in a recliner asking myself why should I push my limits when I know I will never ride like Lance. People push their limits because they enjoy it. ;)

gavinfree likes this.
  20. Corzhens

When I said I am talking about myself, that is a general statement because I consider myself as an average woman. So this topic is about the average person and not those exceptional people like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Okay, can you name some events that women are superior? We are talking of athletic competition using physical strength and not minds like a chess tournament of a crochet competition. Now, tell us in what competition have women defeated men?