Pushing v slogging

95rpm on a hill...how can you do that??!!

I suppose it depends on the hill...There are some gentle rollers I can keep a reasonable cadence on.
But the kind of hills the original poster (i assume) is talking about slows me down to a crawl. I'm
talking about 5-8 mph in the smallest chainring...where every revolution of the crank feels like a
leg press.

On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:22:13 -0500, "D.Putnam" <[email protected]> wrote:

>95rpm on a hill...how can you do that??!!

Low gears and strong legs :)

>I suppose it depends on the hill...

Sure does.

>the kind of hills the original poster (i assume) is talking about slows me down to a crawl.

I'm thinking an average kind of hill for a Wednesday club ride, where I'll be doing around 9-10mph
in bottom gear (31/25 on a 700x32c). Absolutely not mountain passes - but my aversion to standing
and grinding would almost certainly cause me to ride a Trice XL with extra-low gearing should I try
these kinds of slopes.

Now, the OP has a .sig in the Caledonian argot which indicates that his hills are much bigger than
mine. But I am quite fit; very few people pass me going up any hill on a bike. Or walking for that
matter - I've hiked from Llanberis to Snowdon Summit and back in under 3 hours; 16 miles round trip,
1000m climb. Not fell-running pace by any means, but very fast for walking.

OK, so now I have to work out how long and how steep those hills are. The link below is Sulham Hill,
it climbs about 55 metres in half a mile, which would be fairly typical of the kind of hill we like
to take in on a Wednesday ride. Quite modest, really, and absolutely not a Big Hill, certainly not
by Scottish standards.

<http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=464500&Y=174500&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=-
&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=10000&out.x=5&out.y=11>

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Mon, 19 May 2003 10:26:39 -0700, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>Given all that, my feeling is to keep cranking and don't give up easily. Bernie

Where you live, you'd be walking all the time if you gave up easily. That place has staircases
instead of sidewalks!
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Mon, 19 May 2003 10:26:39 -0700, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Given all that, my feeling is to keep cranking and don't give up easily. Bernie
>
> Where you live, you'd be walking all the time if you gave up easily. That place has staircases
> instead of sidewalks!
> --
> zk

If we had more days per year that were icy, we'd need stairs! Because I want to sleep in my own bed,
I climb a little mountain every afternoon. Bernie

On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:22:29 -0500, "D.Putnam" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I routinely ride on all the roads on the hyperlinked map below:

Definitely Trice territory :-/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...
> > For a 260 lb. rider/bike combination climbing a 10% grade in a
>
> How the heck do you ever come out with that much weight? You must have meant 160 lb. (rider = 144)
> (bike = 16) nothing else is acceptable.
>
> Anyway, here's a little eye opener for you guys.
>
> Take the '98 TdF, Jan Ullrich had the team mechanic Dirk Tyleca put 54x44 chainrings on for the
> stage 7 time trial. I remember it was quite a undulating course in the Correze region with one
> climb of the Côte de Chavagnac at the 12 km point.
>
> Now guys like Jan and me never got out of the saddle once on the
> 6.7 km climb of the Chavagnac!
>
> In fact, the road kicked up sharply at the finish and we keep it in the 54 right to the line!

I know what you mean dude. I keep it in the granny and crank my way to the top. No need to get my
butt off the leather! Bernie

On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:04:33 -0400, Bernie wrote:

> Bicycles being ridden straight up steep hills are also stable. Slow, steady, and stable. As I
> said, it is easier on the ego to ride slow and steady than to give in and walk.

Easier on the body too: much less chance of getting banged on the legs by pedals. I find bikes are
notably unkind to the body when they're being pushed up hill.

On Mon, 19 May 2003 09:15:40 -0400, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 15:03:24 +0200, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>This may be why you feel less pressure on your knees when standing -- it's the angle, not the
>>cadence.
>
> First credible justification for standing I've heard. Thanks.
>
> Don't mind me if I keep spinning, though :)

Here's another: gives your butt a chance to get off the saddle from time to time, thereby increasing
blood flow as well as allowing a bit of evaporative cooling.

Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:04:33 -0400, Bernie wrote:
>
> > Bicycles being ridden straight up steep hills are also stable. Slow, steady, and stable. As I
> > said, it is easier on the ego to ride slow and steady than to give in and walk.
>
> Easier on the body too: much less chance of getting banged on the legs by pedals. I find bikes are
> notably unkind to the body when they're being pushed up hill.

The "body" thing is not an issue! I'm afraid someone who knows me will see me walking my bike! I
give in to no hill. It's an ego trip, but there ya go! Best regards, Bernie

> Steve Palincsar wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:04:33 -0400, Bernie wrote:
> >
> > > Bicycles being ridden straight up steep hills are also stable. Slow, steady, and stable. As I
> > > said, it is easier on the ego to ride slow and steady than to give in and walk.
> >
> > Easier on the body too: much less chance of getting banged on the legs by pedals. I find bikes
> > are notably unkind to the body when they're being pushed up hill.
>
> The "body" thing is not an issue! I'm afraid someone who knows me will see me walking my bike! I
> give in to no hill. It's an ego trip, but there ya go!

You think so? Then try the Mt. Washington Hill Climb: http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/index.cfm

it's morning".

"Kev C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all. If you are going up a steep hill, lowest granny gear and your cadence goes way down is it
> actually "better/easier" to get off and push or should you just keep slogging away?

I find that walking uses different muscles, so I prefer to walk if I'm not going any faster
by riding.

I have knee problems, so would rather avoid further stress.

I also use the opportunity to refuel. Easier to peel and eat a banana while walking than
while riding.

ymmv

btw why DO some cyclists think it's OK to discard wrappers, empty plastic bottles, and remnants
of fruit in the middle of the road? (sound like question for Fabio)

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
>> I know what you mean dude. I keep it in the granny and crank my way to the
> top. No need to get my butt off the leather!

Wait a minute Bernie, I meant we keep it on the 54, you know the big ring.

I really hope your 'granny' is a 21 cog at most, a lot of guys will check your cogset out before the
ride and scoff at you if you show up with a 23.