Putting 8 Speed Cassettes on decent wheels marked 9,10,11 speed compatible

cf1979

Jan 25, 2014
Hi Guys,

I need some technical help.

I want to get some Zondas but they say its compatible with 9,10 and 11 speed cassettes. My bike came with an 8 speed cassette so I was wondering can I put an 8 speed cassette on these wheels hubs?

Is there anything I need to do besides buy the new cassette? Will the wheel come with spacers that would be needed?

Cheers
CF

Quote: Originally Posted by cf1979
I want to get some Zondas but they say its compatible with 9,10 and 11 speed cassettes. My bike came with an 8 speed cassette so I was wondering can I put an 8 speed cassette on these wheels hubs?

Is there anything I need to do besides buy the new cassette? Will the wheel come with spacers that would be needed?

Do you have a Campagnolo equipped bike OR does your bike have Shimano shifters?

Regardless (because 8-speed Campagnolo & 8-speed Shimano index spacing is essentially the same), you just need to put an 8-speed SRAM (!?!) or post-2000 (with ramped Cogs) Shimano 8-speed Cassette on the wheel PLUS a spacer ... adjust the rear derailleur's stops, accordingly, and you will be good-to-go ...

BTW. Although it is not stated in the advert, I would think that the wheelset would come with a spacer since I would think that at least half the people who might be buying the wheelset probably have not migrated to 11-speed drivetrains, yet ...

If you do need a spacer, you can either buy one from your bike shop, cut one from a piece of PVC tubing, or cannibalize one from your current Cassette.

I've done this as I've got 7 and 8 speed cassettes on 9/10 speed wheels. Had no problems. I always put the spacers on the hub first before installing the cassette.
Don't know if this is correct but it works fine.