Putting a break on careering couriers - summary executions?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by I Hate Politica, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. I loved reading the following letter in the Sydney Morning Herald of 27 June:

    "Road kill Since Sydney City Council has launched yet another voluntary code to curb the dangerous
    behaviour of bicycle couriers ("Putting a brake on careering couriers", Herald, June 26),
    consideration should be given to enforcing it with a few summary executions. Perhaps then the rest
    might get the message. John Sparkman, Curtin (ACT), June 26."

    I think more than a few summary executions of careering cyclists (especially those who show no
    disregard to motorists and pedestrians) could be considered.

    Tags:

  2. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:54:56 -0700, I hate political correctness wrote:

    > I think more than a few summary executions of careering cyclists (especially those who show no
    > disregard to motorists and pedestrians) could be considered.

    Why do people have such venom for Bicycle couriers !?

    They do a physically demanding and probably dangerous job, and (AFAIK) the pay is fairly low. I
    always wonder if they started out as people who loved riding their bicycle, and probably now hate
    it, since it's so much like work.

    It shits me too when I get a fly-by walking on the footpath, but that's not really much different to
    what taxi-drivers and car-couriers do every day. Two wrongs don't make a right - but a few thousand
    do, and it happens every day. Thinking about it I see a damn site more car/truck couriers parking on
    the footpath than I see bike couriers riding on it... and I see alot of both. And don't get me
    started on the scrwys things taxis do about the place.

    IMHO, Sydney Council -- "Majesty, there are no bikepaths; the cyslists are in danger!?" (waves hand
    dissmissively) "Let them ride Bus Lanes!" -- is giving stick to the bicycle couriers, since they are
    one of the lowest parts of the road-traffic food chain. Traffic in the city is a disgrace (they're
    trying to make Sydney into LA right?!), yet they point at one of the most insignificant parts of it
    and somehow find a scapegoat.

    The big problem is 60% of Sydney traffic doesn't really want to be in the city at all. If you don't
    believe me, stand on one of the major CBD corners and watch the puzzled & frightened drivers with
    interstate nuberplates trying to pick their way through. I'm sure these people would have avoided
    the city _if_at_all_possible_.

    I for one, specifically request bicycle couriers every time I send something across town. They are
    quiet and efficient, maybe councils could learn something from them.

    -kt

  3. "I hate political correctness" <po[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I think more than a few summary executions of careering cyclists (especially those who show no
    > disregard to motorists and pedestrians) could be considered.

  4. kingsley wrote: **snip**
    > Why do people have such venom for Bicycle couriers !?
    >
    > They do a physically demanding and probably dangerous job, and (AFAIK) the pay is fairly low. I
    > always wonder if they started out as people who loved riding their bicycle, and probably now hate
    > it, since it's so much like work.

    The pay is not too bad considering it is untrained work, but certainly not danger money. Most cycle
    couriers still love riding their bikes, and spend most of their money and spare time on their
    collection of pushies (a real courier has at least 3 bikes - a work bike, a road bike, a mountain
    bike and a spare work bike. Oh, and that thing in pieces in the hallway).

    I think if Sydney Council were really concerned about pedestrian safety they would ban cars with
    bullbars from the CBD. I can't see that happening in my lifetime.

    - LB

  5. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002

    You....... are the Anti-Bike!!!!

    Begone with you.... O vile motorist...Lord of impatience.... Thee blind and ungiving wayeth spectre of metalic doom.

  6. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:54:56 -0700, I hate political correctness wrote:
    >
    > > I think more than a few summary executions of careering cyclists (especially those who show no
    > > disregard to motorists and pedestrians) could be considered.
    >
    > Why do people have such venom for Bicycle couriers !?

    I hate them because they are so visible in their actions. When the cycling advocates push for more
    bike lanes etc etc, Joe Six-pack and Betty Voter think "not for those bandits" since all they notice
    is the hell spawn evil that is couriers.

  7. RMan wrote:

    > I hate them because they are so visible in their actions. When the cycling advocates push for more
    > bike lanes etc etc, Joe Six-pack and Betty Voter think "not for those bandits" since all they
    > notice is the hell spawn evil that is couriers.

    Hate is such a strong term, RMan. Surely you have better things to hate?

    Anyway, since when were bike lanes an election issue with the average voter? I believe they honestly
    don't give a shit either way.

    I think they should control car access between Liverpool St down to Circular Quay. Many other world
    class cities have tried similar solutions to traffic control. Control the traffic and you will no
    longer have perceived problems with couriers.

    I'm not anti-car, hell, I drove 3 blocks to the gym today (forgive me lord!). But the CBD is for
    business, not for interstate tourists or shoppers from the suburbs to drive around looking for
    parking spots. Bike couriers are a sympotm of a larger problem, not the problem itself.

    - LB

  8. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > RMan wrote:
    > >
    > > I hate them because they are so visible in their actions. When the
    cycling
    > > advocates push for more bike lanes etc etc, Joe Six-pack and Betty Voter think "not for those
    > > bandits" since all they notice is the hell spawn
    evil
    > > that is couriers.
    >
    > Hate is such a strong term, RMan. Surely you have better things to hate?

    Degrees of hate I geuss.....

    > Anyway, since when were bike lanes an election issue with the average voter? I believe they
    > honestly don't give a shit either way.

    At a Federal/State level, they are not, 'cos they are political suicide. But at a council level,
    bike lanes can be. They are in my area. (SE Melbourne)

    [snip]

    > I'm not anti-car, hell, I drove 3 blocks to the gym today (forgive me lord!). But the CBD is for
    > business, not for interstate tourists or shoppers from the suburbs to drive around looking for
    > parking spots.

    What a strange opinion.

    > Bike couriers are a sympotm of a larger problem, not the problem itself.

    Well, I'd sure like to get one of those permits that they have that allows them to disregard
    road rules.

  9. > Well, I'd sure like to get one of those permits that they have that allows them to disregard
    > road rules.

    Is that the same one they give to taxi drivers, delivery van drivers and jaywalkers? They all break
    the rules and people seem to just say 'hey, they've got a job to do'.

    Taxi drivers kill a bunch of people and cause a bunch of accidents every year by doing illegal
    things, why not whinge about them and call them a menace?

    Cycle couriers are an easy target for a lazy media that panders to people's prejudices.

    And while we're distracted, venting our spleens at a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percent of
    road users much bigger, badder crimes continue unchallenged. Easy target I say.

    Duncan Bourne

  10. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Duncan Bourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I'd sure like to get one of those permits that they have that
    allows
    > > them to disregard road rules.
    >
    > Is that the same one they give to taxi drivers, delivery van drivers and jaywalkers? They all
    > break the rules and people seem to just say 'hey, they've got a job to do'.
    >
    > Taxi drivers kill a bunch of people and cause a bunch of accidents every year by doing illegal
    > things, why not whinge about them and call them a menace?
    >
    > Cycle couriers are an easy target for a lazy media that panders to people's prejudices.
    >
    > And while we're distracted, venting our spleens at a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percent of
    > road users much bigger, badder crimes continue unchallenged. Easy target I say.

    So you can't get me one of the permits then ?

  11. I didn't realise you need a permit RMan. Whoever told you about these permits must have
    thought you were some kind of moron. I don't think you are, so I will let you in on a secret:
    There are no permits, this idea is not to hurt anyone, and don't get busted. Simple in theory,
    simple in practice.

  12. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I didn't realise you need a permit RMan. Whoever told you about these permits must have thought
    > you were some kind of moron. I don't think you are, so I will let you in on a secret: There are no
    > permits, this idea is not to hurt anyone, and don't get busted. Simple in theory, simple in
    > practice.

    No, no, no, not the permit to be a normal person. The permit to fang it on footpaths, ride through
    red lights, ride the wrong way up one way streets, make illegal turns at intersections. The permit
    to make all cyclists look the same in the eyes of the public. I believe the highest level permit is
    the one giving you the power to abuse other cyclists who dare comment on your riding style. Man
    those guys must be something special, like Jedi-courier Masters, and I'd sure like one of them.

    RMan

  13. RMan wrote: **snip**
    > Man those guys must be something special, like Jedi-courier Masters, and I'd sure like one
    > of them.

    Don't worry RMan, keep going as you are and you soon will be. Behold the power of Spontaneous Trait
    Transference:

    "People who allege wrongdoing against someone are usually perceived by others as being dishonest
    themselves" ... 'The gist of our research,' the authors said in a recent e-mail interview, 'is that
    when you gossip, you become associated with the characteristics you describe, ultimately leading
    those characteristics to be ‘transferred’ to you.'

    http://www.apa.org/monitor/may98/imp.html

    Here endeth the lesson.

  14. Megan Webb

    Megan Webb Guest

    Easy target for the media is true. Though, I have found that anyone riding a bicycle in the city is
    called a courier.

    Megan

    [email protected] (Duncan Bourne) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well, I'd sure like to get one of those permits that they have that allows them to disregard
    > > road rules.
    >
    > Is that the same one they give to taxi drivers, delivery van drivers and jaywalkers? They all
    > break the rules and people seem to just say 'hey, they've got a job to do'.
    >
    > Taxi drivers kill a bunch of people and cause a bunch of accidents every year by doing illegal
    > things, why not whinge about them and call them a menace?
    >
    > Cycle couriers are an easy target for a lazy media that panders to people's prejudices.
    >
    > And while we're distracted, venting our spleens at a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percent of
    > road users much bigger, badder crimes continue unchallenged. Easy target I say.
    >
    > Duncan Bourne

  15. Megan Webb

    Megan Webb Guest

    Hmmm... And how many of the pedestrians killed or injuried in the city each year are by bicycles?

    Why not direct your venom at the at some of the real dangers in the city.

    Some people are just blind to the obvious, that happens often in front of their eyes.

    "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I didn't realise you need a permit RMan. Whoever told you about these permits must have thought
    > > you were some kind of moron. I don't think you are, so I will let you in on a secret: There are
    > > no permits, this idea is not to hurt anyone, and don't get busted. Simple in theory, simple in
    > > practice.
    > >

    > No, no, no, not the permit to be a normal person. The permit to fang it on footpaths, ride through
    > red lights, ride the wrong way up one way streets, make illegal turns at intersections. The permit
    > to make all cyclists look the same in the eyes of the public. I believe the highest level permit
    > is the one giving you the power to abuse other cyclists who dare comment on your riding style. Man
    > those guys must be something special, like Jedi-courier Masters, and I'd sure like one of them.
    >
    > RMan

  16. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > RMan wrote: **snip**
    > > Man those guys must be something special, like Jedi-courier Masters, and I'd sure like one
    > > of them.
    >
    > Don't worry RMan, keep going as you are and you soon will be. Behold the power of Spontaneous
    > Trait Transference:
    >
    > "People who allege wrongdoing against someone are usually perceived by others as being dishonest
    > themselves" ... 'The gist of our research,' the authors said in a recent e-mail interview, 'is
    > that when you gossip, you become associated with the characteristics you describe, ultimately
    > leading those characteristics to be ‘transferred’ to you.'
    >
    > http://www.apa.org/monitor/may98/imp.html
    >
    > Here endeth the lesson.

    Thank you oh wise one. I will now practise the raising of my MTB out of the swamp of the Yarra
    River, using nothing but the force, I mean forks..........

  17. RMan wrote:

    **snip**
    > Thank you oh wise one. I will now practise the raising of my MTB out of the swamp of the Yarra
    > River, using nothing but the force, I mean forks..........

    Oh, you're from Melbourne? That makes sense then, there is no law and order in Victoria, it appears
    to be a state of murderous chaos. Melbourne cycles couriers are the lowest of the low, and do set a
    bad example for all other cyclists. Sydney couriers are quite the opposite .. they are professional,
    courteous, clean shaven and drug free. The companies pay them well, but even this does not compare
    to the love, respect and gratitude they receive from an appreciative public. Just the other day I
    was riding the wrong way up Castlereagh St and a young policeman waved at me. Even though I was busy
    (sandwich in one hand, coke in the other), I took the time to wave back, to not do so would be rude.
    The poor fellow was so flattered by my acknowledgement him that he immediately got on his radio and
    told his friends. It's hard slog being at the top, but sometimes you just have to take the time to
    be nice to the little people.

    - LB