Putting a car seat into a trailer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becka Currant

We picked up our Burley encore trailer at the weekend, and very snazzy it is too.

However we were hoping to be able to secure the car seat it in somehow so that when we go to France
in sept Lex can come along with us. However this doesn't seem possible :O(

Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be safe (!) but it would also
be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family and without him in the trailer somehow, at 5
months, I don't think we'll be able to.

Ta for any help

Becka

Becka Currant wrote:

> We picked up our Burley encore trailer at the weekend, and very snazzy it is too.
>
> However we were hoping to be able to secure the car seat it in somehow so that when we go to
> France in sept Lex can come along with us. However this doesn't seem possible :O(
>
> Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be safe (!) but it would
> also be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family and without him in the trailer somehow,
> at 5 months, I don't think we'll be able to.

We never had any problems. I don't knoww the 'Encore' but our four all went into a Burley d'Lite
(not at the same time tho'). Firstly carrycots were strapped in and they trundled off camping etc
from about 6 weeks old. Then we used a light 'plastic' car seat strapped to the trailer internal
frame with some long nylon q/r luggage straps. OK, the seat wasn't that easy to remove, but we
hardly ever needed to do that. If the trailer has an internal frame, then could not you do the same?

John B

> Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be
safe
> (!) but it would also be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family
and
> without him in the trailer somehow, at 5 months, I don't think we'll be
able
> to.

For the sake of safety I suggest you buy a trailer specifically designed for carrying babies/young
children. Burley have a good reputation for these. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the
specific trailer you mention.

Mads Hilberg

>>>>> "BC" == Becka Currant <[email protected]> writes:

BC> We picked up our Burley encore trailer at the weekend, and very snazzy it is too.

BC> However we were hoping to be able to secure the car seat it in somehow so that when we go to
BC> France in sept Lex can come along with us. However this doesn't seem possible :O(

BC> Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be safe (!) but it would
BC> also be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family and without him in the trailer
BC> somehow, at 5 months, I don't think we'll be able to.

I fixed a car seat into my Trek (rebadged Chariot) cycle trailer without problems. The trailer in
question has straps for securing two children, and I was happy that the car seat was sufficiently
well secured using these. Also the seat of the trailer afforded some suspension, so as to make the
ride smooth.

When you say it doesn't seem possible, is that because your seat won't physically fit inside your
trailer, or because you can't figure out a way to secure it in place properly?

--
QUIET!! I'm being CREATIVE!! Is it GREAT yet? It's s'posed to SMOKEY THE BEAR...

Mads Hilberg wrote:

> > Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be
> safe
> > (!) but it would also be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family
> and
> > without him in the trailer somehow, at 5 months, I don't think we'll be
> able
> > to.
>
> For the sake of safety I suggest you buy a trailer specifically designed for carrying babies/young
> children. Burley have a good reputation for these. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the
> specific trailer you mention.
>
>

I think you'll find she already said she had a Burley.

John B

> I think you'll find she already said she had a Burley.

I think you'll find I have the memory of a goldfish.

Mads Hilberg

Becka

When my son first went in the cycle trailer he was just over 2 months old. The Burley Solo that we
bought wouldn't take a car seat or one of those lighter carrycot seats. The built-in fabric Burley
seat just got in the way of everything.

I went down to the local upholstery shop and bought a couple pieces of 1.5" foam. I made cutouts in
them to take the baby, similar to how camera parts are packed in good quality cases. I covered the
whole thing in a soft cotton baby blanket, poked holes for the straps to come through, and stitched
it all to the Burley fabric seat in a few places. The foam is comfortable, and the cutout holds the
child securely, and with careful planning you can recline the baby a bit so their head is well
supported.

The boy is 6 now and still mad about bikes, so it hasn't put him off!

Cheers

John

"Becka Currant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We picked up our Burley encore trailer at the weekend, and very snazzy it
is
> too.
>
> However we were hoping to be able to secure the car seat it in somehow so
that
> when we go to France in sept Lex can come along with us. However this
doesn't
> seem possible :O(
>
> Has anybody transported a baby on a trailer?? Obviously I want him to be
safe
> (!) but it would also be nice for all of us to be able to ride as a family
and
> without him in the trailer somehow, at 5 months, I don't think we'll be
able
> to.
>
> Ta for any help
>
> Becka

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03

"John Olson" <[email protected]> wrote
> When my son first went in the cycle trailer he was just over 2 months old. The Burley Solo that we
> bought wouldn't take a car seat or one of those lighter carrycot seats. The built-in fabric Burley
> seat just got in the way of everything.
>
> I went down to the local upholstery shop and bought a couple pieces of 1.5" foam. I made cutouts
> in them to take the baby, similar to how camera parts are packed in good quality cases. I covered
> the whole thing in a soft cotton baby blanket, poked holes for the straps to come through, and
> stitched it all to the Burley fabric seat in a few places. The foam is comfortable, and the cutout
> holds the child securely, and with careful planning you can recline the baby a bit so their head
> is well supported.
>
> The boy is 6 now and still mad about bikes, so it hasn't put him off!

We have a Burley Solo. The built-in fabric Burley seat has two parts, the horizontal part the kid
sits on and the vertical part for the back. The top of the vertical bit is looped around the bar
across the top of the trailer. We just took the bar out, took the fabric off it, and put the bar
back. We let the vertical bit fall to the bottom of the trailer for use when Ellen's old enough. We
then sat the baby car seat onto the horizontal bit and rigged up some straps with nylon webbing and
quick release buckles. It takes about the same amount of time to put the car seat in the trailer as
it does to put the car seat in the car.

I feel good about her in the trailer this way. She looks really secure with her three point
harness. But I want to make sure that our visibility is as good as it can be, so I wear the
brightest tops I have when I'm out riding with her. Also I'm extra-courteous, pulling off to let
cars by very quickly if they don't have enough space to overtake. Especially as my average speed is
about 10mph with the trailer!

-Myra

[email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> We have a Burley Solo. The built-in fabric Burley seat has two parts, the horizontal part the kid
> sits on and the vertical part for the back. The top of the vertical bit is looped around the bar
> across the top of the trailer. We just took the bar out, took the fabric off it, and put the bar
> back. We let the vertical bit fall to the bottom of the trailer for use when Ellen's old enough.
> We then sat the baby car seat onto the horizontal bit and rigged up some straps with nylon webbing
> and quick release buckles. It takes about the same amount of time to put the car seat in the
> trailer as it does to put the car seat in the car.

Its also worth getting some foam rubber and putting it between the car seat and the frame, to absorb
some of the bumps (I run the trailer with its tyres quite soft, to give a bit more suspension). I
also have it so the youngest is on the off-side, as there tends to be less bumps there.

Status
Not open for further replies.