Putting cyclists at risk

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wallace Shackle, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:20:42 +0000 someone who may be
    [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote this:-

    >In this forum, you're preaching to the choir.

    Perhaps. Perhaps not, I don't think that everyone reading
    the group thinks the same way.

    Unfortunately Sustrans have yet to change their materials.
    When they do so then there is a chance that others might
    follow suit.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

  2. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:34:16 +0000, Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:26:20 +0000, James Hodson
    ><[email protected]> wrote (more
    >or less):
    >
    >>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:11:17 +0000, Wallace Shackleton
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>[HUGE SNIP]
    >>
    >>I wonder exactly what is meant by this:
    >>
    >>>Cycling Scotland said 80 per cent of households had
    >>>access to a bike...
    >>
    >>I've had access to a bike for most of my life but have
    >>ridden cycles only as a child and more recently for the
    >>last ten or so years.
    >
    >Well what do you mean by 'I've had access to a bike for
    >most of my life'?

    I mean I've owned a bicycle since my childhood but didn't
    ride one between the ages of 17 and 30.

    James

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    "Alex Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would say the addition of a large number of bike
    > racks in the centre of Edinburgh in recent years ranks
    > pretty highly.

    Definately a good thing. Edinburgh does seem (occasionally)
    to be pretty clued up.

    > Low on the list is the cycle lane on the Mound, which I
    > think is quite possibly the most dangerous lane I use
    > thanks to the combination of a blind corner, high wall,
    > nutters who park around the corner and taxis who insist
    > on using the lane to turn and buses who have to use it
    > to turn.

    I tend to take this (On the rare occasions I cycle it) right
    out in the middle of the road. I've been beeped once, but it
    has saved me several swerves out into the road to avoid the
    aforementioned parked cars and buses. The problem is not the
    lane per se, it's the lack of enforcement.

    > I quite like advance stop lines and marked bus lanes
    > though.

    <anecodote> When reaching the top of Leith walk one day as
    the first vehicle to arrive I took up a position in the
    middle of the left hand lane of the cycle area. While
    waiting for the lights a taxi pulled up next to me. I made
    my usual sarcastic comment (Along the lines of "do you look
    like a bl**dy bike?") and was somewhat surprised when he
    wound down his window and asked what I was saying. I
    explained that the big red bit with the picture of a bike
    was an indication that the area was for bikes. He pointed to
    my bike and said "You're on a bike!". I politely explained
    that this was true, but that he wasn't and was thus in the
    wrong place. He said "There's no bikes in front of me". When
    I asked him whether he drove through red lights if there
    were no cars in front of him he muttered "F**k off, f**king
    cyclists" and wound his window back up. The conversation was
    followed with some amusement by a pedestrian who was waiting
    to cross the road. Smug... hell yes! </anecdote>

    > And there seems to be something nice appearing for NCR 1
    > up at cross causeway, some kind of cycle crossing with a
    > proper lights to get across the clerk street part. Looks
    > pretty nice, though the road being closed made my route
    > home a little tricky last night...

    Is that what's going on? We wondered if the council had
    decided that the nearest pedestrian crossing (50 yards) was
    too far away and were building another one to make direct
    access to the pub over the road easier.

    Jon

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
    Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

  4. Alex Ingram

    Alex Ingram Guest

    In message <[email protected]
    02.news.uk.clara.net>, Jon Senior
    <[email protected]?.?.invalid> writes
    >> Low on the list is the cycle lane on the Mound, which I
    >> think is quite possibly the most dangerous lane I use
    >> thanks to the combination of a blind corner, high wall,
    >> nutters who park around the corner and taxis who insist
    >> on using the lane to turn and buses who have to use it
    >> to turn.
    >
    >I tend to take this (On the rare occasions I cycle it)
    >right out in the middle of the road. I've been beeped once,
    >but it has saved me several swerves out into the road to
    >avoid the aforementioned parked cars and buses. The problem
    >is not the lane per se, it's the lack of enforcement.

    I'm not so sure, I think the problem is that it is very hard
    for it to enter the minds of the average taxi driver that
    they need to avoid the lane as the exit the corner. Also
    there are a strange number of cyclists I have witnessed who
    put their faith in the all powerful lane to allow them to
    make the corner with a double decker running alongside them,
    which just isn't going to happen without some insanely
    precise positioning and luck.

    I had a lovely time going down the lane with a taxi driver
    who overtook me into the corner and then slowed down to
    shout at me for getting in his way and trying to hit his
    taxi. He then sped off, though with it being the mound I
    simply caught him 10m down the road gave him a friendly tap
    back on the window and zoomed off.

    A crowd of pedestrians cheered, I kid you not.
    --
    alex @ nuttyxander.com --+-- http://nuttyxander.com/ *** we
    taught ourselves to play the pots and pans so that we would