Putting cyclists at risk

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:20:42 +0000 someone who may be
[email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote this:-

>In this forum, you're preaching to the choir.

Perhaps. Perhaps not, I don't think that everyone reading
the group thinks the same way.

Unfortunately Sustrans have yet to change their materials.
When they do so then there is a chance that others might
follow suit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:34:16 +0000, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:26:20 +0000, James Hodson
><[email protected]> wrote (more
>or less):
>
>>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:11:17 +0000, Wallace Shackleton
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>[HUGE SNIP]
>>
>>I wonder exactly what is meant by this:
>>
>>>Cycling Scotland said 80 per cent of households had
>>>access to a bike...
>>
>>I've had access to a bike for most of my life but have
>>ridden cycles only as a child and more recently for the
>>last ten or so years.
>
>Well what do you mean by 'I've had access to a bike for
>most of my life'?

I mean I've owned a bicycle since my childhood but didn't
ride one between the ages of 17 and 30.

James

"Alex Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would say the addition of a large number of bike
> racks in the centre of Edinburgh in recent years ranks
> pretty highly.

Definately a good thing. Edinburgh does seem (occasionally)
to be pretty clued up.

> Low on the list is the cycle lane on the Mound, which I
> think is quite possibly the most dangerous lane I use
> thanks to the combination of a blind corner, high wall,
> nutters who park around the corner and taxis who insist
> on using the lane to turn and buses who have to use it
> to turn.

I tend to take this (On the rare occasions I cycle it) right
out in the middle of the road. I've been beeped once, but it
has saved me several swerves out into the road to avoid the
aforementioned parked cars and buses. The problem is not the
lane per se, it's the lack of enforcement.

> I quite like advance stop lines and marked bus lanes
> though.

<anecodote> When reaching the top of Leith walk one day as
the first vehicle to arrive I took up a position in the
middle of the left hand lane of the cycle area. While
waiting for the lights a taxi pulled up next to me. I made
my usual sarcastic comment (Along the lines of "do you look
like a bl**dy bike?") and was somewhat surprised when he
wound down his window and asked what I was saying. I
explained that the big red bit with the picture of a bike
was an indication that the area was for bikes. He pointed to
my bike and said "You're on a bike!". I politely explained
that this was true, but that he wasn't and was thus in the
wrong place. He said "There's no bikes in front of me". When
I asked him whether he drove through red lights if there
were no cars in front of him he muttered "F**k off, f**king
cyclists" and wound his window back up. The conversation was
followed with some amusement by a pedestrian who was waiting
to cross the road. Smug... hell yes! </anecdote>

> And there seems to be something nice appearing for NCR 1
> up at cross causeway, some kind of cycle crossing with a
> proper lights to get across the clerk street part. Looks
> pretty nice, though the road being closed made my route
> home a little tricky last night...

Is that what's going on? We wondered if the council had
decided that the nearest pedestrian crossing (50 yards) was
too far away and were building another one to make direct
access to the pub over the road easier.

Jon

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.624 /
Virus Database: 401 - Release Date: 15/03/2004

In message <1079628679.1912.0@nnrp-t71-
02.news.uk.clara.net>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon.co.uk@?.?.invalid> writes
>> Low on the list is the cycle lane on the Mound, which I
>> think is quite possibly the most dangerous lane I use
>> thanks to the combination of a blind corner, high wall,
>> nutters who park around the corner and taxis who insist
>> on using the lane to turn and buses who have to use it
>> to turn.
>
>I tend to take this (On the rare occasions I cycle it)
>right out in the middle of the road. I've been beeped once,
>but it has saved me several swerves out into the road to
>avoid the aforementioned parked cars and buses. The problem
>is not the lane per se, it's the lack of enforcement.

I'm not so sure, I think the problem is that it is very hard
for it to enter the minds of the average taxi driver that
they need to avoid the lane as the exit the corner. Also
there are a strange number of cyclists I have witnessed who
put their faith in the all powerful lane to allow them to
make the corner with a double decker running alongside them,
which just isn't going to happen without some insanely
precise positioning and luck.

I had a lovely time going down the lane with a taxi driver
who overtook me into the corner and then slowed down to
shout at me for getting in his way and trying to hit his
taxi. He then sped off, though with it being the mound I
simply caught him 10m down the road gave him a friendly tap
back on the window and zoomed off.

A crowd of pedestrians cheered, I kid you not.
--
alex @ nuttyxander.com --+-- http://nuttyxander.com/ *** we
taught ourselves to play the pots and pans so that we would