Putting kitchen sink in island

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kristen, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Kristen

    Kristen Guest

    My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen within the next year (I hope!). Right now we
    have a galley kitchen. We plan on tearing out the wall that makes it a galley and that will open up
    the kitchen for us to have a L shaped kitchen with an island. I'm not sure og the dimensions, but it
    would probably be something like 17'x9'. We would also like to add an island. We could not have
    cabinets on the wall opposite the 17' because our basement door it there...

    Right now we think the best route would be for us to put the fridge on the end of the shorter wall
    and have a stove in the middle of the longer wall and put the kitchen sink + dishwasher in the
    island. We could probably have a 5 foot island I think. I'm unsure of what the standard mesaurements
    are for the depth of countertops and how much space you should allow between countertops (like from
    the shorter wall to the island).

    So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work
    out for you?

    Thanks! Kristen

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    kristen wrote:
    > My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen within the next year (I hope!). Right now
    > we have a galley kitchen. We plan on tearing out the wall that makes it a galley and that will
    > open up the kitchen for us to have a L shaped kitchen with an island. I'm not sure og the
    > dimensions, but it would probably be something like 17'x9'. We would also like to add an island.
    > We could not have cabinets on the wall opposite the 17' because our basement door it there...
    >
    > Right now we think the best route would be for us to put the fridge on the end of the shorter wall
    > and have a stove in the middle of the longer wall and put the kitchen sink + dishwasher in the
    > island. We could probably have a 5 foot island I think. I'm unsure of what the standard
    > mesaurements are for the depth of countertops and how much space you should allow between
    > countertops (like from the shorter wall to the island).
    >
    > So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work out
    > for you?
    >
    > Thanks! Kristen

    The real trick is venting the drain properly.

    Bob

  3. kristen wrote:

    > My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen within the next year (I hope!). Right now
    > we have a galley kitchen. We plan on tearing out the wall that makes it a galley and that will
    > open up the kitchen for us to have a L shaped kitchen with an island. I'm not sure og the
    > dimensions, but it would probably be something like 17'x9'. We would also like to add an island.
    > We could not have cabinets on the wall opposite the 17' because our basement door it there...
    >
    > Right now we think the best route would be for us to put the fridge on the end of the shorter wall
    > and have a stove in the middle of the longer wall and put the kitchen sink + dishwasher in the
    > island. We could probably have a 5 foot island I think. I'm unsure of what the standard
    > mesaurements are for the depth of countertops and how much space you should allow between
    > countertops (like from the shorter wall to the island).
    >
    > So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work out
    > for you?
    >
    > Thanks! Kristen
    We have an island with a kitchen sink and we love it. It's important to have adequate counterspace
    on either side of your sink though. If you only have a 5' wide island and install a sink there, it
    won't give you very much counterspace unless you install a very small sink. Most kitchen electrical
    codes will require that you have outlets on your island. Also, you'll need to address the location
    of your garbage disposer switch. We installed electrical outlets on either side of the sink cabinet
    panel. The installed outlets took roughly 6-inches on either side of the sink cabinet so we
    installed two slim cabinet doors beneath each outlet. On one side, we've used the narrow space for
    storing cutting boards (on end). The other side has a pull out rack to hang wet dishtowels. For our
    garbage disposer, we installed an "air switch" on the granite countertop because the standard toggle
    switch was not allowed. The switch is designed to be used near water (i.e., for hot tubs etc...). It
    installs flush with the countertop. Standard cabinet depth is 24-inches however with an island, you
    can make any depth you want. Good luck with your kitchen design. Mickey

  4. Themom1

    Themom1 Guest

    We did a similar thing a number of years ago. We had a kitchen with a wall to a small entry way to
    our deck that had sliding glass doors. Had a separate dining room but usually ate in the kitchen
    When the wall was removed we put the sink in the island and it's so nice not to have to face a wall.
    In the kitchen we did in this house, we put the stove top in the island because the sink faces a
    window which works well too.

    The other thing we did with our latest kitchen was instead of cupboards on the bottom I have 4 huge
    pot drawers and 8 small top drawers. I still have normal cupboard under the sink and stove, but
    under the wall oven I have 2 more big pot drawers. They work great because I can't get into lower
    cupboards because of my back.

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    225/187.4/145

    "kristen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen within the next year (I hope!). Right now
    > we have a galley kitchen. We plan on tearing out the wall that makes it a galley and that will
    > open up the kitchen for us to have a L shaped kitchen with an island. I'm not sure og the
    > dimensions, but it would probably be something like 17'x9'. We would also like to add an island.
    > We could not have cabinets on the wall opposite the 17' because our basement door it there...
    >
    > Right now we think the best route would be for us to put the fridge on the end of the shorter wall
    > and have a stove in the middle of the longer wall and put the kitchen sink + dishwasher in the
    > island. We could probably have a 5 foot island I think. I'm unsure of what the standard
    > mesaurements are for the depth of countertops and how much space you should allow between
    > countertops (like from the shorter wall to the island).
    >
    > So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work out
    > for you?
    >
    > Thanks! Kristen

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > kwright
    >
    >My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen. We could >probably
    have a 5 foot island I think

    >So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work
    >out for you?

    Don't sinks generally work by supplying water and drain it away... duh

    Most major Kitchen & Bath emporiums will send a designer out to your house for a estimate
    and consult for free, or for a nominal fee which they'll almost always apply towards the
    cost of the job.

    Personally I think a 5' kitchen island is way too small for a sink of useful proportion... a 24"
    sink (which is a really skimpy size) will afford less than eighteen usable inches per side. I
    wouldn't consider a sink of less than 30", nor for accomodating a sink a kitchen island of less than
    8' long... and 4' deep. If you're considering one of those teensy bar sinks they're less than a
    useless adition in a kitchen... just something to constantly wipe down, take up precious acreage on
    your island, and award you a fancy plumbing bill to install... it will rarely get used. Unless you
    will have a kitchen large enough to accomodate a legal sized island (capable of supporting a tree,
    two bushes, and a hut) I advise investing your coconut money into the mainland.

  6. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > zxcvbob opines:
    >
    >kristen wrote:
    >>
    >> So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work out
    >> for you?
    >
    >The real trick is venting the drain properly.

    No problem if there's a basement/crawlspace... with no basement/crawlspace there's a big problem
    with a wasteline, supply lines... then venting is the least of it.

  7. Themom1

    Themom1 Guest

    We never had a problem with ours.

    --

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > kristen wrote:
    > > My husband and I are planning on remodeling out kitchen within the next year (I hope!). Right
    > > now we have a galley kitchen. We plan on tearing out the wall that makes it a galley and that
    > > will open up the kitchen for us to have a L shaped kitchen with an island. I'm not sure og the
    > > dimensions, but it would probably be something like 17'x9'. We would also like to add an island.
    > > We could not have cabinets on the wall opposite the 17' because our basement door it there...
    > >
    > > Right now we think the best route would be for us to put the fridge on the end of the shorter
    > > wall and have a stove in the middle of the longer wall and put the kitchen sink + dishwasher in
    > > the island. We could probably have a 5 foot island I think. I'm unsure of what the standard
    > > mesaurements are for the depth of countertops and how much space you should allow between
    > > countertops (like from the shorter wall to the island).
    > >
    > > So my question I guess is to those who have sinks in the island, how did that setup work out
    > > for you?
    > >
    > > Thanks! Kristen
    >

    > The real trick is venting the drain properly.
    >
    > Bob

  8. Here's a good place to go ask your questions:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

    I don't have an island in my kitchen but have been in kitchens where there are islands w/ sinks. I
    will tell you this...if you're thinking that you'll put some stools across the island from the sink
    for people to put breakfast, or sit and chat with you while you work....be careful. If your island
    is flat, and if it's not wide enough, whoever is sitting on the stools may get sprayed with water,
    etc. from the sink (human backsplash). This happens at my sister-in-law's house a lot, and at a
    friend's house who has a similar setup. Anything they put on the counter near the sink is at risk,
    too.....e.g. food for a party, etc. So if you're going to have a sink in your island, remember that.

    Another friend has a bi-level island....the sink is several inches lower than the breakfast bar
    part, so there's a backsplash. The breakfast bar is deep enough that I didn't get splashed while
    eating there (needed a tall stool, though).

    Chris

  9. V

    V Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:54:26 -0500, someone wrote:

    >We never had a problem with ours.

    Then your plumber did a good job.

    It is not a problem for the owner using it, it is a problem for the plumber installing it. And
    problems of plumbers can get costly. Speedy was right to say have a plumber involved in planning so
    that it can ECONOMICALLY be done right.

    Just because yours works right (as it is supposed to) doesn't mean that therefore the problem does
    not exist. Your ignorance may be bliss, but only because someone more knowledgeable thought it
    through. Nobody is saying it can't be done, it just takes extra effort.

    -v.

  10. Kristen

    Kristen Guest

    Chris,

    Thanks for the tip. We are not planning on putting stools on the opposite side of the island because
    the kitchen is too narrow for it I think. The basement door would be right behind the island and
    that would interfere with the stools. But thanks for that tip!

    Kristen

  11. Kristen

    Kristen Guest

    > The real trick is venting the drain properly.
    >
    > Bob

    Why is draining a sink in an island any different than when you put the sink up against a wall? I
    have no idea.

    Thanks!

  12. Speedy Jim

    Speedy Jim Guest

    kristen wrote:

    > > The real trick is venting the drain properly.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > Why is draining a sink in an island any different than when you put the sink up against a wall? I
    > have no idea.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's different because there (probably) cannot be a vent pipe dropping down out of the ceiling to
    the island. <g> Here is what is required in some parts of this land of ours:
    http://www.codecheck.com/pg13_14plumbing.html Scroll down to Fig. P5.

    There is also the question of where the drain pipe will run in the floor space under the island.
    Do the joists run the "right" way or will it have to hang below the basement ceiling? No basement?
    Ooops! Many, many things to consider; that's why it's vital to have the contractor's input from
    the start. Jim

  13. Chip C

    Chip C Guest

    Mickey Zalusky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We have an island with a kitchen sink and we love it. It's important to have adequate counterspace
    > on either side of your sink though. If you only have a 5' wide island and install a sink there, it
    > won't give you very much counterspace unless you install a very small sink. Most kitchen
    > electrical codes will require that you have outlets on your island. Also, you'll need to address
    > the location of your garbage disposer switch. We installed electrical outlets on either side of
    > the sink cabinet panel. The installed outlets took roughly 6-inches on either side of the sink
    > cabinet so we installed two slim cabinet doors beneath each outlet. On one side, we've used the
    > narrow space for storing cutting boards (on end). The other side has a pull out rack to hang wet
    > dishtowels. For our garbage disposer, we installed an "air switch" on the granite countertop
    > because the standard toggle switch was not allowed. The switch is designed to be used near water
    > (i.e., for hot tubs etc...). It installs flush with the countertop. Standard cabinet depth is 24-
    > inches however with an island, you can make any depth you want. Good luck with your kitchen
    > design. Mickey

    Outlets on the front or sides of cabinets are a potential hazard because appliances can be pulled
    off the counter by the cords. This is a particular danger with children in the house. It is the
    reason countertop appliances come with such annoyingly short cords: so there's no way the cord can
    dangle over the edge of the counter.

    So, such placement is discouraged by most building codes and by many inspectors, though as I
    understand it interpretation and enforcement vary by locale.

    Countertop "monuments" are preferred, though designers tend to pout about them. Of course if the
    island has a backsplash the outlets should go into it.

    Chip C Toronto

  14. zxcvbob <[email protected]> writes:

    > The real trick is venting the drain properly.

    Do a search on "bow vent". We did it when we renovated a 1908 house, then repeated the design in our
    new place. Works fine. A bit contorted, but not hard to do, PVC's easy to work with.

    We really like the sink on the island because prep work -- near the sink -- allows us to chat with
    our friends on the other side of the island.

    I hate cooktops on the island: downdraft venting doesn't work, suspended hoods block views, and --
    best of all -- you can splatter your guests with burning fat! (yes, we use butter and oil :)

  15. Kristen

    Kristen Guest

    > It's different because there (probably) cannot be a vent pipe dropping down out of the ceiling
    > to the island. <g> Here is what is required in some parts of this land of ours:
    > http://www.codecheck.com/pg13_14plumbing.html Scroll down to Fig. P5.
    >
    > There is also the question of where the drain pipe will run in the floor space under the island.
    > Do the joists run the "right" way or will it have to hang below the basement ceiling? No
    > basement? Ooops! Many, many things to consider; that's why it's vital to have the contractor's
    > input from the start. Jim

    Jim,

    thanks. I sort of see what your getting at. We do have a basement and the joists run perpedicular
    to where the island would be. So that seems like it would be the "right" way. I mentioned this to
    my husband so he's aware of the different problems with putting the sink in the island. Thanks for
    the input!

    Kristen