puttinga hub on a 10 speed raliegh sprite

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by modmans2ndcoming, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. I was looking at the history of the sprite and at one point they had a
    5 speed hub on it rather than a derailing system. I would like to put a
    hub on the sprite I am about to buy (for 25 bucks) is it possible to do
    such an operation on this model? it is from the 70's, post hub version
    because it has the cruiser handlebars but uses the detailer gear
    system.

    Thanks,

    Jeremy

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    modmans2ndcoming wrote:
    > I was looking at the history of the sprite and at one point they had a
    > 5 speed hub on it rather than a derailing system. I would like to put a
    > hub on the sprite I am about to buy (for 25 bucks) is it possible to do
    > such an operation on this model? it is from the 70's, post hub version
    > because it has the cruiser handlebars but uses the detailer gear
    > system.

    The frame is the same so yes if you have an S-5 with
    controls that is possible. I believe the handlebar remained
    the same too for that matter.

    For all the trouble of that I would get a SRAM Super Seven
    instead of the SA Five. Or even a classic AW Three. The
    five has finicky control systems. Both new (dual indicator
    chains) and old (bellcrank with pushrod) versions are fine
    for tinkerers but demand more attention than many riders
    have to give. There was a late series single nylon trigger
    lever with 2 cables that wasn't an improvement. If you do
    get an S-5, dump the original controls in favor of dual
    triggers at least.

    FInally, Sprites look classy, ride well, have great
    mudguards but are much improved with an aluminum rim, front
    if not both, for adequate braking. Steel rims are trouble
    in dry braking, dangerous in the wet. The Sprite's steel
    sidepulls with self-adjust levers ( Queen's Award to
    Industry!) are as good as any modern brake once fitted with
    synthetic Kool Stop pads on aluminum rims.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  3. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    modmans2ndcoming wrote:
    > I was looking at the history of the sprite and at one point they had a
    > 5 speed hub on it rather than a derailing system. I would like to put a
    > hub on the sprite I am about to buy (for 25 bucks) is it possible to do
    > such an operation on this model? it is from the 70's, post hub version
    > because it has the cruiser handlebars but uses the detailer gear
    > system.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeremy

    Sure- you can put a internal gear hub on almost any bike. I'm putting
    together an upgraded errand bike with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub on
    an old Schwinn Le Tour (ten-speed) frame.

    It's not straightforward, though, and I'm looking forward to a fair
    amount of finagling to get it working properly. I've been working on
    bikes for 25+ years, so this is "fun" for me.

    Five-speed internal hubs are quite rare now, so you'd be better off
    starting with a more modern 4- or 7-speed hub. The inexhaustible
    Sheldon Brown naturally has an article about these hubs:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html , and another article
    about one of his bikes converted to a 7-speed hub:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/px7.html

    Jeff

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 16 Apr 2006 19:58:18 -0700, "modmans2ndcoming"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was looking at the history of the sprite and at one point they had a
    >5 speed hub on it rather than a derailing system. I would like to put a
    >hub on the sprite I am about to buy (for 25 bucks) is it possible to do
    >such an operation on this model? it is from the 70's, post hub version
    >because it has the cruiser handlebars but uses the detailer gear
    >system.

    Possible? Yes. Easy? That depends on the skills of the person doing
    the work. (Usually, it's not terribly difficult.) Affordable?
    Maybe, if you want to spend more for the hub than you're spending for
    the bike. Old, used 3-speed hubs are easy to find for economical
    amounts. Probably the closest readily available unit to the 5 would
    be the Shimano Nexus 7, which isn't a bad unit, and will set you back
    about $200 plus shipping by the time you get a shifter and cable and
    such.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. wow... well, I will certainly not hurry to get one considering that
    such a price is only 150 bucks less than a new breezer liberty....
    maybe I can pick on up for cheap on ebay or something