Puzzled over big gear climbing

Originally posted by VeloFlash
We are not progressing a debate if one party is relying only on speculation that Merckx "could" have used a 53x17 all the way up a HC climb. It is common sense that if he used a 53x17 at the commencement of the climb on the flatter sections he would have had to change down as the road went skyways.

Merckx was a rider who was percentage points ahead of his contemporaries. Not a multiple of their ability.

He ran a 53/44 13-19 set up, according to the Badger, Bernard Hinault.

If he was in a 53x17 his next lowest gear would have been a 44x15. The 53x19 is lower than a 44x15 and should not be used because of the acute chain angle from the big ring. The 44x14 is the same as the 53x17, also pointed out by Bernard Hinault.

Limerickman, one of the problems of gear changes in those days was the friction shifters (index shifters came in about 1980). When changing down you had to listen and feel for the next lowest gear and ease off on the pedal power while doing so. I understand that many riders stalled out on major climbs with friction shifters when they could not or did not ease off to find the next lowest cog.

A rider of Merckx experience would not have entered the final 10k's of a climb, when it got much steeper, in the big ring with friction shifters, knowing he had the equivalent gear in the little ring with 4 lower support cogs.

Another point.

The Col du Tourmalet is the middle mountain on a three mountain stage - Tarbes to Luz-Ardiden - 141.5 km.

Col d'Aspin being a Cat 1 climb and Tourmalet and Luz-Ardiden being HC climbs - too steep to be categorised.

Would any rider in their right mind use the strategy of using a muscle and back stressing big ring gear, if they could, up a 17.1 km HC climb knowing thay had another similar HC 14km climb (Luz-Ardiden) to finish the race?

It is amazing how quickly one forgets how rudimentary the gears were back in those days (only when you mention this - did I recall
that Merckx would have had to slow down to ensure that he had changed gears properly) !

What your saying here sounds logical - but I go back to the point
that he was on 53x13 and shifted to 53x17 as he ascended
the Tourmalet.
Three accounts say that he stayed in 53x17 as he progressed up the Tourmalet.
But in thinking about it - and given the percentages that you have supplied re gradients, he could have lowered his gearing as
he progressed upward.
Also given the fact that he was in contention for (and subsequently won) all five classment jerseys in the 1969 TDF,
would he have risked cycling all the way up in one gear ??
The profile of the route that day (Aspin, Tourmalet and Luz) would also indicate that he may well have had to gear down from 53x17.

It's not inconceivable that Eddy Merckx climbed the Tourmalet in 53x17 if he was grinding at 50-70 rpm. That amounts to a speed of about 12.31-17.23 mph or 19.8 kph-27.7. I wouldn't doubt that Eddy Merckx could cimb in those gears and I don't think you should, Veloflash. Also in point is the way they changed gears is a little different than it is today. Today, one could change gears without losing any momentum or speed, but the way it was set up, you could conceivably lose a mph or two when you were changing gears due to the fact that you had to take your hands off the handlebars and momentarily shift your concentration and lose some of that power from the back muscles. So it may not have been to many cyclist's advantage during those days to shift gears much like we do nowadays.

Sure, in today's racing scene, it'd be a little insane, but keep in mind that in today's racing scene, anyone doing that on the middle mountain stage would be murdered because there are perhaps 10-20 cyclists who would be capable of conserving energy for the next day and then shredding that person. But the level of competition was not that high back then. In today's racing scene, how would EM do? I don't know but I suspect he'd be damn near the top or AT the top.

Thomas Davis

Originally posted by tomdavis80
It's not inconceivable that Eddy Merckx climbed the Tourmalet in 53x17 if he was grinding at 50-70 rpm. That amounts to a speed of about 12.31-17.23 mph or 19.8 kph-27.7. I wouldn't doubt that Eddy Merckx could cimb in those gears and I don't think you should, Veloflash. Also in point is the way they changed gears is a little different than it is today. Today, one could change gears without losing any momentum or speed, but the way it was set up, you could conceivably lose a mph or two when you were changing gears due to the fact that you had to take your hands off the handlebars and momentarily shift your concentration and lose some of that power from the back muscles. So it may not have been to many cyclist's advantage during those days to shift gears much like we do nowadays.

Sure, in today's racing scene, it'd be a little insane, but keep in mind that in today's racing scene, anyone doing that on the middle mountain stage would be murdered because there are perhaps 10-20 cyclists who would be capable of conserving energy for the next day and then shredding that person. But the level of competition was not that high back then. In today's racing scene, how would EM do? I don't know but I suspect he'd be damn near the top or AT the top.

Thomas Davis

Tom,

This discussion about how Eddy would do has come up in a number of threads.

Personally, I believe that Eddy would not like to be limited – as the top riders are today – to just riding specific races, in this modern era.
From reading extensively about the man – and from hearing the views of people who have met or interviewed him – it is apparent that Merckx competitive streak, matched by his athleticism, propelled him to create the greatest palmares ever within our sport.
Eddy simply had to enter and win as many races as possible in order to satisfy his competitive instincts.

I don’t concur with the view that the opposition in Eddy’s time were weaker than now.
In relative terms, all cyclists competed much more in Eddy’s time, just as Eddy did.
Therefore, his palmares within his era is authentic.

In this modern era, the top men specialize more.
If Eddy was in this era (apart from dying of boredom), he would be required to specialize more.
How much faster would he go, if he only had to race perhaps only 50 days per year ?
How much faster would his colleagues go, if they only had to race perhaps only 50 days per year ?
I think Eddy and his colleagues could be able to match LA and JU without much difficulty.
And I would wager that Merckx would still be head and shoulders above the competition, given this criteria.

In respect of the discussion re the Tourmalet, while I respect Velo’s view about gearing and gradients, I am not surprised in the least if Eddy did in fact climb the Tourmalet using 53x17.
Nothing surprises me about feats attributed to EM : quite simply the man was a cycling machine.

Back to the original question. My thoughts on the gearing used by Ullrich, Indurain etc. has me thinking that the "high" gears that they use/d are not actually that high, it is just a relative term. This is especially so now that Armstrong and co. have come onto the scene with their high cadence (re: low gears) climbing. The specific gears i think they are referring to in the Ullrich/Indurain statement are in fact no more than your usual 39x17,19 etc. (on long steep climbs these gears are quite high compared with Armstrong's 39x21,22,23)

Originally posted by drewjc
Back to the original question. My thoughts on the gearing used by Ullrich, Indurain etc. has me thinking that the "high" gears that they use/d are not actually that high, it is just a relative term. This is especially so now that Armstrong and co. have come onto the scene with their high cadence (re: low gears) climbing. The specific gears i think they are referring to in the Ullrich/Indurain statement are in fact no more than your usual 39x17,19 etc. (on long steep climbs these gears are quite high compared with Armstrong's 39x21,22,23)

We watching the Giro recently when they were climbing the
in the Dolomites, I noticed that Tonkov as using 53x17
And he was pedalling very smoothly.

So to answer your question, I would think that it is correct to say
LA uses 39x21/23 (the chain is nearly at the top of the rear
cogs).
At a guess I think JU/MI would use perhaps 39x15 as you suggest.
In real terms, one pedal stroke @39x21=13 feet distance
One pedal stroke @ 39x15=18 feet distance.
One pedal stoke @ 53x17 = 22 feet distance.

Originally posted by tomdavis80

Thomas Davis

Thomas:

I can recall from another thread the "80" refers to your year of birth. I doubt whether you have experienced friction shifters (indexing came in 1983) and most probably have only had to use STS type brake integrated shifters (introduced by Shimano in 1990 when you were 10 :)).

My first bike in the 1990's had downtube indexed shifters which could be adjusted to friction shifters if you had indexing problems.

As Limerickman has agreed, there is a problem downshifting with friction shifters. You have to search and find the gear you are after and you have to unweight the pedals. You have to anticipate gears when climbing and know the road. You can be in a position on a very steep climb that to change down you have to stop the bike!

What alerted me to the idiosyncrasy of the friction shifter was Limerickman's quote from the 1969 event:

“at the foot of the Tourmalet, Merckx geared down from 53x13 (my original, initial typo) to 53x17. I was directly behind Merckx in the bunch and I saw him gear down. I thought that he was having problems with his gears because he was pulling at his (gear) lever."

You should lose no time reaching down to change using a downtube index shifter as you have claimed. As a matter of fact, a lot of riders used to change from integrated STS shifters to downtube index shifters in mountain stages to save weight.

As regards weight, frames and components have tumbled in weight over the years. So that now the UCI have placed a minimum weight of 6.8kgs (14.994lbs). I can recall lifting a 1980 museum race bike and it was HEAVY. It had alloy wheels which had come into vogue at the time.

A 1969 bike would have even been heavier. Riders of EM's time, comparatively, had the extra burden of at least 12lbs (my estimation) dead weight to lug up the mountain. Greg Lemond said that every extra pound on a 30 minute climb will cost the rider 30 seconds.

Their climbing speeds would have been slower than the speeds of today.

It is not inconceivable that Merckx used a 53x17 to climb all the way to the summit of the Tourmalet, one of the steepest and toughest HC climbs. Without debating Merckx's superior athleticism, I would say that given all the factors of the equipment of the day, the sports medicine, the gradient of the climb, the progress of the stage and the stage within the overall Tour, it was impossible that Merckx used that gear.

Also, once you climb with a very low cadence, you do not tax your aerobic system. There is so much time between muscle contractions that there is reduced demand on oxygen and muscle fuel. The problem is that you have to increase your pedal forces to such an extent that you overstress your muscles. Your legs will become heavier and heavier. This is not an economic pedalling application midway through a three week Tour. Ask any rider who trained using the outdated Coconi method of strength training of riding up 4km hills in a 53x12 between 30 and 40rpm.

EM would have been competitive today but only using the equipment of today, the training methods (particularly training cycles and recovery for adaption), nutrition and sports medicine. In the 1960's and before it was standard practice not to keep up hydration on the bike. It was believed you toughened yourself by depriving the body of fluids. Bernauld Hinault used to consume one bottle per long stage. When they discovered the beneficial effects of rehydration his intake increased sevenfold.

Thomas:

I can recall from another thread the "80" refers to your year of birth. I doubt whether you have experienced friction shifters (indexing came in 1983) and most probably have only had to use STS type brake integrated shifters (introduced by Shimano in 1990 when you were 10 :)).

My first bike in the 1990's had downtube indexed shifters which could be adjusted to friction shifters if you had indexing problems.

As Limerickman has agreed, there is a problem downshifting with friction shifters. You have to search and find the gear you are after and you have to unweight the pedals. You have to anticipate gears when climbing and know the road. You can be in a position on a very steep climb that to change down you have to stop the bike!

What alerted me to the idiosyncrasy of the friction shifter was Limerickman's quote from the 1969 event:

“at the foot of the Tourmalet, Merckx geared down from 53x13 (my original, initial typo) to 53x17. I was directly behind Merckx in the bunch and I saw him gear down. I thought that he was having problems with his gears because he was pulling at his (gear) lever."

You should lose no time reaching down to change using a downtube index shifter as you have claimed. As a matter of fact, a lot of riders used to change from integrated STS shifters to downtube index shifters in mountain stages to save weight.

As regards weight, frames and components have tumbled in weight over the years. So that now the UCI have placed a minimum weight of 6.8kgs (14.994lbs). I can recall lifting a 1980 museum race bike and it was HEAVY. It had alloy wheels which had come into vogue at the time.

A 1969 bike would have even been heavier. Riders of EM's time, comparatively, had the extra burden of at least 12lbs (my estimation) dead weight to lug up the mountain. Greg Lemond said that every extra pound on a 30 minute climb will cost the rider 30 seconds.

Their climbing speeds would have been slower than the speeds of today.

It is not inconceivable that Merckx used a 53x17 to climb all the way to the summit of the Tourmalet, one of the steepest and toughest HC climbs. Without debating Merckx's superior athleticism, I would say that given all the factors of the equipment of the day, the sports medicine, the gradient of the climb, the progress of the stage and the stage within the overall Tour, it was impossible that Merckx used that gear.

Also, once you climb with a very low cadence, you do not tax your aerobic system. There is so much time between muscle contractions that there is reduced demand on oxygen and muscle fuel. The problem is that you have to increase your pedal forces to such an extent that you overstress your muscles. Your legs will become heavier and heavier. This is not an economic pedalling application midway through a three week Tour. Ask any rider who trained using the outdated Coconi method of strength training of riding up 4km hills in a 53x12 between 30 and 40rpm.

EM would have been competitive today but only using the equipment of today, the training methods (particularly training cycles and recovery for adaption), nutrition and sports medicine. In the 1960's and before it was standard practice not to keep up hydration on the bike. It was believed you toughened yourself by depriving the body of fluids. Bernauld Hinault used to consume one bottle per long stage. When they discovered the beneficial effects of rehydration his intake increased sevenfold.

I am enjoying the good exchange of information - excellent points made for both sides of this discussion.

A slight tangent coming up re training methods : Tom Simpson allegedly used to chew raw fish during winter training to replicate
the "parched" sensation he felt during the warmer weather of a
grand tour.
It's unthinkable that anyone would do this in the more "sophisticated times".
Training/nutrition has progressed, certainly.

I could do that climb in a 53 - 17.....as long as the 17 was on the front.....:D

Originally posted by Fixey
I could do that climb in a 53 - 17.....as long as the 17 was on the front.....:D

Fixey, it's a God-awful climb.
Even a hardy New Zealander would think twice about doing it !

Of course, I had to try to prove myself and I had a crack at it a
couple of years ago when I was in holiday there,
It was the most uncomfortable experience that I ever had on a bike.
Basically, had to use the triple throughout - no shame in that -
I would have use a quadruple if I had one.

Terrible, terrible climb.

Originally posted by limerickman
I am enjoying the good exchange of information - excellent points made for both sides of this discussion.

A slight tangent coming up re training methods : Tom Simpson allegedly used to chew raw fish during winter training to replicate
the "parched" sensation he felt during the warmer weather of a
grand tour.
It's unthinkable that anyone would do this in the more "sophisticated times".
Training/nutrition has progressed, certainly.

Dr. Michelle Ferrari gives an excellent insight during an interview of the difference between the pro rider of today and 1980 (post Merckx) -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/interviews/?id=ferrari03

Here is an excerpt -

At that time, cycling was a lot different than cycling of today, or that of the last 10 years. Above all… well, there are a lot of differences. At the level of the performance of the athletes, the average rider (20 years ago) was much less prepared, much less trained, not as strong as they are today. You used to be able to see at the beginning of the season riders 8 or 10kg overweight, something you couldn't imagine today. And then, many riders didn't train much in the winter for months. Cycling was kind of old-fashioned compared to other sports like athletics back then; those sports had a more sophisticated approach compared to cycling which hadn't changed much in many years. For most riders, it was "prendi la bici e vai (get on your bike and ride)... Today I'll do five hours and see how it goes." There simply wasn't a programmed, structured approach to training.

The largest cog on my rear wheel has 23 teeth. I still have to count the teeth on my crank - a more tricky task. However, I assume my rear wheel could go up in teeth quantity to allow easier gears.

Originally posted by limerickman
Carrera,

Ok - count the number of teeth on the two chainrings beside the pedals on your bike.
And also count the teeth on two gears closest to your rear back wheel - on your back wheel.

Without knowing this detail, i can't realistically help you.
So as soon as you have these numbers, post them here and we'll
take it from there.

Originally posted by Carrera
The largest cog on my rear wheel has 23 teeth. I still have to count the teeth on my crank - a more tricky task. However, I assume my rear wheel could go up in teeth quantity to allow easier gears.

Yes, 23 on the back wheel is the standard lightest gear - you can get anything up to a 26 on your rear wheel which would be even lighter.

I suspect that you front wheel will have 52 (on the larger cog)
and 39 on the inner (smaller) cog).

Dr. Michelle Ferrari gives an excellent insight during an interview of the difference between the pro rider of today and 1980 (post Merckx) -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/interviews/?id=ferrari03

Here is an excerpt -

At that time, cycling was a lot different than cycling of today, or that of the last 10 years. Above all… well, there are a lot of differences. At the level of the performance of the athletes, the average rider (20 years ago) was much less prepared, much less trained, not as strong as they are today. You used to be able to see at the beginning of the season riders 8 or 10kg overweight, something you couldn't imagine today. And then, many riders didn't train much in the winter for months. Cycling was kind of old-fashioned compared to other sports like athletics back then; those sports had a more sophisticated approach compared to cycling which hadn't changed much in many years. For most riders, it was "prendi la bici e vai (get on your bike and ride)... Today I'll do five hours and see how it goes." There simply wasn't a programmed, structured approach to training.

An insteresting insight.
Although Michele Ferrari is the last person who I would quote.
I do not like anything he represents in the sport of cycling
(watch out this week a new expose of LA is being published called
LA Confidential by David Walsh)

Weight and climbing.

Here are links to three pics taken during the Dauphiné Libéré Mt. Ventoux 21.6 km ITT:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedoc...a4bc6e786dbeb9dc86256eaf0070d462?OpenDocument

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedoc...fb49eccdb6ddfd9f86256eaf0070d458?OpenDocument

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedoc...29a9e01d8f8eaf5b86256eaf0070d450?OpenDocument

The pics are of Mayo, Hamilton and Armstrong.

All bikes are without water bottles. Armstrong is using a downtube shifter for his front derailleur. Armstrong and Hamilton used aerobars for the early flatter section. Hamilton has dumped part of his aerobar for the climb.

Armstrong has made comment that the extra weight of the aerobar cost him time during the climb.