Puzzling Observation In The Forum

xeu

Oct 4, 2003

First of all, please don’t move this topic. This has nothing to do with cycling equipment but it does have to do with the cycling equipment forum, and specifically addresses those in it with something I, as a somewhat new poster here, have observed...

I don’t visit many forums but every time I come here I notice a very strongly repeating pattern involving which topics usually have a post reply count in the high double digits, and which topics usually stay in the singles.

At the time of my writing, the topics with around 50 or more replies on the front page are:

Campy or Shimano? So what do u people ride out there?
Cranks What size cranks does everyone ride?
How many do you have? How many bikes do you own?
Don’t start out buying a $5000 bike [self-explanatory]
How much does your bike weigh? [self-explanatory]
frame color what's your favorite frame color?

Now, most topics here involve a question, and from my standpoint this whole subforum was made to address the technological aspect of biking, to stimulate discussions on how to use it to your advantage and get opinions on any conceivable topic in the world of biking technology. But there seems to be a trend of posts where we are polled about whatever aspect of the bike the thread starter is interested in, and those seem to be the ones getting all the attention (except the ‘$5000 bike’ topic, which was a good thread by the way thumbs up). So I’m just going to come straight out and ask...is it just that y’all like to talk about your bikes?

I don’t know about the other forums since I only go here but, I’m just hoping to make this place more efficient. Is there a way to poll everyone in one place about the many different aspects of their bike and get it over with? Maybe if there is no longer a reason to focus on the tiny, scattered, superficial bits of information here and there, we can make more use of all the veteran brains out there that are full of information and tips that could help us all.

Just a message from your humble freelance philosopher...comments and flames welcome.

xeu

Originally posted by xeu

First of all, please don’t move this topic. This has nothing to do with cycling equipment but it does have to do with the cycling equipment forum, and specifically addresses those in it with something I, as a somewhat new poster here, have observed...

I don’t visit many forums but every time I come here I notice a very strongly repeating pattern involving which topics usually have a post reply count in the high double digits, and which topics usually stay in the singles.

At the time of my writing, the topics with around 50 or more replies on the front page are:

Campy or Shimano? So what do u people ride out there?
Cranks What size cranks does everyone ride?
How many do you have? How many bikes do you own?
Don’t start out buying a $5000 bike [self-explanatory]
How much does your bike weigh? [self-explanatory]
frame color what's your favorite frame color?

Now, most topics here involve a question, and from my standpoint this whole subforum was made to address the technological aspect of biking, to stimulate discussions on how to use it to your advantage and get opinions on any conceivable topic in the world of biking technology. But there seems to be a trend of posts where we are polled about whatever aspect of the bike the thread starter is interested in, and those seem to be the ones getting all the attention (except the ‘$5000 bike’ topic, which was a good thread by the way thumbs up). So I’m just going to come straight out and ask...is it just that y’all like to talk about your bikes?

I don’t know about the other forums since I only go here but, I’m just hoping to make this place more efficient. Is there a way to poll everyone in one place about the many different aspects of their bike and get it over with? Maybe if there is no longer a reason to focus on the tiny, scattered, superficial bits of information here and there, we can make more use of all the veteran brains out there that are full of information and tips that could help us all.

Just a message from your humble freelance philosopher...comments and flames welcome.

xeu
Yeah a poll( drivel) forum Good idea!