PVSR - are the men wussies or the women just tough?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by pedalchick, Mar 19, 2004.

  1. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.

    Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5 foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

    Tags:

  2. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and
    > little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and
    > started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.
    >
    > Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the
    > women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch
    > of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last
    > year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull
    > out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to
    > quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go
    > to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5
    > foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

    Lynn is back in action and coming into form. Good for her.
    As for the guys, yeah, they could of adjusted for the
    corners but they didn't. How about the Primavera Rosa? Last
    year's winner Zoulfia Zabirova is a beefcake. I saw her in
    Grande Boucle. She's a powerhouse. These russian girls
    could win the Grande Boucle this year. Her and Zabelinskaia
    are looking pretty good. They don't climb as well, but
    depending on Joanne, Nicole and Fabi, they could pull off a
    surprise. Olga got sixth last year at 8 minutes back. Olga
    is amazing to watch.

    B-

  3. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Lyne Bessette should have a comfortable lead after today's TT.

    I found this on the official communique:
    _____
    All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for Elite Women. The Elite Men’s field earns no stage prizes, no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1. No time is awarded to the Elite Men’s field for Stage 1.
    ____
    HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!
    ____
    Jonathan Erdelyi of OFOTO/ Lombardi is fined $22 (30 CHF) for non-regulation clothing as per UCI regulations article 1.3.072.1 and USA Cycling regulations 1L5 “Only current Federation National Champions may wear National Championship jerseys and only in the specialty and age group in which the title was won.”
    _____
    yuk yuk.

    Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done nothing but DNF this year.

    Oneone Wood is going to win Primavera Rosa. Betcha. She's damn speedy!

  4. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sierraman wrote:
    > > "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message

    [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > senetserver.com...
    > > > The women raced a field of 100 with only a few
    > > > crashes and little whining. The men saw a downhill
    > > > 180 turn and started wimpering and eventually
    > > > stopped racing. Boo hoo.
    > > >
    > > > Granted, they were probably travelling faster than
    > > > the women, and
    had
    > > > 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch of losers!
    > > > I can see their problem with Sea Otter last year,
    > > > since there was a good chance that cars would pull
    > > > out on the road - something potentially lethal - but
    > > > to quit just because there is a chance of crashing?
    > > > C'mon! Go to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay
    > > > upright on 5 foot wide paths covered in cobbles and
    > > > pig ****.
    > > Lynn is back in action and coming into form. Good for
    > > her. As for the guys, yeah, they could of adjusted for
    > > the corners but they didn't.
    How
    > > about the Primavera Rosa? Last year's winner Zoulfia
    > > Zabirova is a beefcake. I saw her in Grande Boucle.
    > > She's a powerhouse. These
    russian
    > > girls could win the Grande Boucle this year. Her and
    > > Zabelinskaia are looking pretty good. They don't climb
    > > as well, but depending on
    Joanne,
    > > Nicole and Fabi, they could pull off a surprise. Olga
    > > got sixth last year at 8 minutes back. Olga is amazing
    > > to watch. B-
    >

    > Lyne Bessette should have a comfortable lead after
    > today's TT.
    >
    > I found this on the official communique:
    > _____
    > All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been
    > withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for
    > Elite Women. The Elite Men's field earns no stage prizes,
    > no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1.
    > No time is awarded to the Elite Men's field for Stage 1.
    > ____
    > HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their
    > noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!

    ah, that's funny! Good for the women!
    > ____
    > Jonathan Erdelyi of OFOTO/ Lombardi is fined $22 (30 CHF)
    > for non- regulation clothing as per UCI regulations
    > article 1.3.072.1 and USA Cycling regulations 1L5 "Only
    > current Federation National Champions may wear National
    > Championship jerseys and only in the specialty and age
    > group in which the title was won."
    > _____
    > yuk yuk.
    >
    > Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done
    > nothing but DNF this year.

    Last I checked the rankings she was pretty low on the list.
    She's a hottie! Hotitude! Expect her to be in at least some
    of the major classics this year like last year too numerous
    to look up but I followed several of them. She is a
    powerhouse and pretty cute too!

    > Oneone Wood is going to win Primavera Rosa. Betcha. She's
    > damn speedy!

    Yeah she is, but I have to go with Melchers, maybe Olga,
    maybe Judith and I would throw in a few others but I can't
    find the start list. It seems to be blank at CN.

  5. Suz

    Suz Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I found this on the official communique:
    > _____
    > All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been
    > withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for
    > Elite Women. The Elite Men's field earns no stage prizes,
    > no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1.
    > No time is awarded to the Elite Men's field for Stage 1.
    > ____
    > HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their
    > noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!

    That's f*'n awesome. But in all seriousness, maybe they were
    right to stop if the course was really that dangerous, and
    they all agreed. Hard to say since we were not there. I sure
    wouldn't want to risk life and limb for such an early season
    race. Then again, I wonder if they could have just taken
    their speed down a notch or two before the wicked 180 degree
    turn...____

    > Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done
    > nothing but DNF this year.

    Maybe she was one of the few that crashed. ?Ditto for Emilie
    Roy, one of Rona's newest acquisition. Strong girl, I think
    she's only 18 or 19 but I have seen her crash as many times
    as I have seen her race. We should call her little Tyler...

    Speaking of Rona, does anyone know if Jeanson was slated
    to race at Pomona? I know she is supposed to be at
    Redlands. Going to make those time cuts more difficult to
    attain, dammit...
    > --

  6. Ronde Chump

    Ronde Chump Guest

    Is this phenomenon (the men refusing to race) a CA thing, or
    are there just some really vocal sprinter types that don't
    want to have to work hard to stay at the front? I didn't see
    the course, but if they were concerned about lots of twists,
    turns and tight corners, on a closed course, then maybe they
    should all just go home.

    Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves Professionals if
    they're going to show up at a race, and not race. Its an
    open race, its not like they expected a European-style of
    event. Well, on 2nd thought, most Euro races are held on
    tight roads/paths barely wide enough to ride 3-across, and
    at this time of the year, its usually cold and raining and
    the roads are covered with mud..... maybe U.S. pros have
    gotten soft, just because they can't ride on wide, flat,
    smooth, clean roads in the warm sunshine.... The promotor
    should just cancel the men's race for lack of participation
    and give the $$ to the women.

  7. Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there were
    vehicles getting on to the course.... smart to cancel. I
    live just down the road from the PVSR. It is a tough and
    difficult course, but nothing that "Professionals" should
    not have been able to handle.

    Good show by the officials giving the money to the riders
    with balls, the women.

    "Ronde Chump" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m19.aol.com...
    > Is this phenomenon (the men refusing to race) a CA thing,
    > or are there
    just
    > some really vocal sprinter types that don't want to have
    > to work hard to
    stay
    > at the front? I didn't see the course, but if they were
    > concerned about
    lots
    > of twists, turns and tight corners, on a closed course,
    > then maybe they
    should
    > all just go home.
    >
    > Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves Professionals
    > if they're going
    > show up at a race, and not race. Its an open race, its not
    > like they
    expected
    > a European-style of event. Well, on 2nd thought, most Euro
    > races are held
    on
    > tight roads/paths barely wide enough to ride 3-across, and
    > at this time of
    the
    > year, its usually cold and raining and the roads are
    > covered with mud..... maybe U.S. pros have gotten soft,
    > just because they can't ride on wide,
    flat,
    > smooth, clean roads in the warm sunshine.... The promotor
    > should just cancel the men's race for lack of
    > participation
    and
    > give the $$ to the women.

  8. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Anthony G Gough wrote:
    > Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there
    > were vehicles getting on to the course.... smart to
    > cancel. I live just down the road from the PVSR. It is a
    > tough and difficult course, but nothing that
    > "Professionals" should not have been able to handle.
    >
    > Good show by the officials giving the money to the riders
    > with balls, the women.

    I lived within approx 2 miles of the Sea Otter course, and
    was a course marshal for that stage. I agree -- the
    promoters just plain didn't do their home work for that
    day. I can't comment about PMSR, but from my experience
    racing there in the past, it would surprise me if this was
    the case there.

    Dan

  9. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and
    > little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and
    > started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.
    >
    > Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the
    > women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch
    > of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last
    > year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull
    > out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to
    > quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go
    > to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5
    > foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

    Hey pedalchick, whoever you are, I know you're just trying
    to throw out some controversy for fun (and please keep it
    up) but I think the Pros made the right call. I'm in the 35+
    race and did that stage with 100 riders. The problem isn't
    the 180s (there are two) but the narrow TWISTING bike paths
    and the masonry barriers that funnel down the road abruptly
    in four or five spots. I guarantee you that a few riders'
    seasons would have been ended had they done that race. Or
    worse. Perhaps we'll get Erik Saunders to comment if he ever
    looks in here again. He could tell you some interesting
    stuff about how the decision was made and, more
    significantly, by who (or is it whom?)

    The complexion of the 35+ race was totally impacted by
    crashes on that course. E.g., on the first lap a bunch of
    guys domino crashed into Thurlow Rogers and I smacked him
    from behind and flipped over and landed on him (fortunately
    for me) but I think I was the only one to get up and chase
    back onto the front group. Thurlow was hurt and never made
    it back, but he did continue. Chris Walker was able to get
    away from all the chaos and get enough time that first day
    to seal the vee. What a shame to not have those two warriors
    battling it out for all four stages. Chris' team (Labor
    Power) knew Thurlow crashed--should they have eased up or
    should they have drilled it??? (BTW, there were lots of
    other crashes, including one with Mark Scott the 35+ US
    national crit champ and he fractured his eye-socket bone.)

    I should add that I love technical courses like this one,
    but this was just a little over the edge.

    Mark

    P.S. They are using a sun dial to time the women's race. :)

  10. On 20 Mar 2004 16:19:07 -0800, [email protected] (Mark Fennell)
    wrote:
    > Chris' team (Labor Power)

    Oh, the team with that guy who writes like a 13 year-old
    high on Mountain Dew...how nice.

    JT

  11. Dan Connelly wrote:
    > Anthony G Gough wrote:
    >
    >> Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there
    >> were vehicles getting
    ... snip ...

    > I lived within approx 2 miles of the Sea Otter course, and
    > was a course marshal for that stage. I agree -- the
    > promoters just plain didn't do their home work for that
    > day. I can't comment about PMSR, but from my experience
    > racing there in the past, it would surprise me if this was
    > the case there.

    Dan,

    I live a short block from the course and completely agree
    that the race was unsafe for a large field, especially on
    the narrow
    climb.

    However, what I saw as the biggest safety issue, was
    that the motorcycle cops simply had no understanding of
    what a rolling closure is. Rather than plugging the side
    streets until the broom wagon came by, they simply rode
    in large groups at the head of the riders. This allowed
    unaware (or uncaring) motorists to jump into the rolling
    closure and endanger the riders. Most intersections had
    no course marshal.

    Ray

  12. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    PedalChick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (erik saunders) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > m03.aol.com>...
    > > oh- and a lot of the other categories came to me and
    > > said that they appreciated that we took a stand... they
    > > too felt like it wasnt safe, and they said that if the
    > > 3s or women or masters complain they arent taken
    > > seriously, so they just keep quiet... no one listens
    > > until the pros complain and then the promoters take it
    > > seriously... one top woman told me that they feel like
    > > there are so few races for women of any quality that if
    > > they complain the promoters will just not have a women's
    > > race, and so they almost rely on the men to be more
    > > forceful in these matters of safety...
    >
    > Ahhha. Finally the thing that I was trolling for. The
    > women and the lower categories really do have to just suck
    > up whatever the promoters throw at them, but if the pro
    > men protest, it has an effect. I still stand behind my
    > assertion that the USAC officials that approved the course
    > should have looked closer. Maybe we need more retired pros
    > to volunteer to act in this position.
    The ironic thing is that it is easier, in many cases, to
    have the Chief Referee look at and approve a local level
    race than it is for a national level event. In most cases
    a national level event has a Chief Referee who lives
    outside the area/region where the national level race is
    held. This makes it hard to bring in the CR ahead of time
    to inspect the course and offer advice on changes to make
    the course safer.

    Local races tend to have local officials appointed as the
    CRs so it is esier to bring the CR in to inspect a course
    ahead of time. I'm sure this is a situation that will be
    looked at in the near future.