PVSR - are the men wussies or the women just tough?

pedalchick

New Member
Aug 4, 2003
The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.

Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5 foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and
> little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and
> started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.
>
> Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the
> women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch
> of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last
> year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull
> out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to
> quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go
> to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5
> foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

Lynn is back in action and coming into form. Good for her.
As for the guys, yeah, they could of adjusted for the
corners but they didn't. How about the Primavera Rosa? Last
year's winner Zoulfia Zabirova is a beefcake. I saw her in
Grande Boucle. She's a powerhouse. These russian girls
could win the Grande Boucle this year. Her and Zabelinskaia
are looking pretty good. They don't climb as well, but
depending on Joanne, Nicole and Fabi, they could pull off a
surprise. Olga got sixth last year at 8 minutes back. Olga
is amazing to watch.

B-

Originally posted by Sierraman
"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and
> little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and
> started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.
>
> Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the
> women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch
> of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last
> year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull
> out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to
> quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go
> to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5
> foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

Lynn is back in action and coming into form. Good for her.
As for the guys, yeah, they could of adjusted for the
corners but they didn't. How about the Primavera Rosa? Last
year's winner Zoulfia Zabirova is a beefcake. I saw her in
Grande Boucle. She's a powerhouse. These russian girls
could win the Grande Boucle this year. Her and Zabelinskaia
are looking pretty good. They don't climb as well, but
depending on Joanne, Nicole and Fabi, they could pull off a
surprise. Olga got sixth last year at 8 minutes back. Olga
is amazing to watch.

B-

Lyne Bessette should have a comfortable lead after today's TT.

I found this on the official communique:
_____
All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for Elite Women. The Elite Men’s field earns no stage prizes, no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1. No time is awarded to the Elite Men’s field for Stage 1.
____
HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!
____
Jonathan Erdelyi of OFOTO/ Lombardi is fined $22 (30 CHF) for non-regulation clothing as per UCI regulations article 1.3.072.1 and USA Cycling regulations 1L5 “Only current Federation National Champions may wear National Championship jerseys and only in the specialty and age group in which the title was won.”
_____
yuk yuk.

Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done nothing but DNF this year.

Oneone Wood is going to win Primavera Rosa. Betcha. She's damn speedy!

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sierraman wrote:
> > "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message

[email protected]:[email protected]
> > senetserver.com...
> > > The women raced a field of 100 with only a few
> > > crashes and little whining. The men saw a downhill
> > > 180 turn and started wimpering and eventually
> > > stopped racing. Boo hoo.
> > >
> > > Granted, they were probably travelling faster than
> > > the women, and
had
> > > 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch of losers!
> > > I can see their problem with Sea Otter last year,
> > > since there was a good chance that cars would pull
> > > out on the road - something potentially lethal - but
> > > to quit just because there is a chance of crashing?
> > > C'mon! Go to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay
> > > upright on 5 foot wide paths covered in cobbles and
> > > pig ****.
> > Lynn is back in action and coming into form. Good for
> > her. As for the guys, yeah, they could of adjusted for
> > the corners but they didn't.
How
> > about the Primavera Rosa? Last year's winner Zoulfia
> > Zabirova is a beefcake. I saw her in Grande Boucle.
> > She's a powerhouse. These
russian
> > girls could win the Grande Boucle this year. Her and
> > Zabelinskaia are looking pretty good. They don't climb
> > as well, but depending on
Joanne,
> > Nicole and Fabi, they could pull off a surprise. Olga
> > got sixth last year at 8 minutes back. Olga is amazing
> > to watch. B-
>

> Lyne Bessette should have a comfortable lead after
> today's TT.
>
> I found this on the official communique:
> _____
> All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been
> withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for
> Elite Women. The Elite Men's field earns no stage prizes,
> no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1.
> No time is awarded to the Elite Men's field for Stage 1.
> ____
> HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their
> noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!

ah, that's funny! Good for the women!
> ____
> Jonathan Erdelyi of OFOTO/ Lombardi is fined $22 (30 CHF)
> for non- regulation clothing as per UCI regulations
> article 1.3.072.1 and USA Cycling regulations 1L5 "Only
> current Federation National Champions may wear National
> Championship jerseys and only in the specialty and age
> group in which the title was won."
> _____
> yuk yuk.
>
> Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done
> nothing but DNF this year.

Last I checked the rankings she was pretty low on the list.
She's a hottie! Hotitude! Expect her to be in at least some
of the major classics this year like last year too numerous
to look up but I followed several of them. She is a
powerhouse and pretty cute too!

> Oneone Wood is going to win Primavera Rosa. Betcha. She's
> damn speedy!

Yeah she is, but I have to go with Melchers, maybe Olga,
maybe Judith and I would throw in a few others but I can't
find the start list. It seems to be blank at CN.

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I found this on the official communique:
> _____
> All monetary awards for Stage I for Elite Men have been
> withdrawn and added to the Individual CC prize list for
> Elite Women. The Elite Men's field earns no stage prizes,
> no KOM prizes or points, and no NRC points for Stage 1.
> No time is awarded to the Elite Men's field for Stage 1.
> ____
> HOT DAMN! If that isn't the officials thumbing their
> noses to the elite men's field. Pttthhhhhb!

That's f*'n awesome. But in all seriousness, maybe they were
right to stop if the course was really that dangerous, and
they all agreed. Hard to say since we were not there. I sure
wouldn't want to risk life and limb for such an early season
race. Then again, I wonder if they could have just taken
their speed down a notch or two before the wicked 180 degree
turn...____

> Does anyone know what is up with Lynn Gaggioli? She's done
> nothing but DNF this year.

Maybe she was one of the few that crashed. ?Ditto for Emilie
Roy, one of Rona's newest acquisition. Strong girl, I think
she's only 18 or 19 but I have seen her crash as many times
as I have seen her race. We should call her little Tyler...

Speaking of Rona, does anyone know if Jeanson was slated
to race at Pomona? I know she is supposed to be at
Redlands. Going to make those time cuts more difficult to
attain, dammit...
> --

Is this phenomenon (the men refusing to race) a CA thing, or
are there just some really vocal sprinter types that don't
want to have to work hard to stay at the front? I didn't see
the course, but if they were concerned about lots of twists,
turns and tight corners, on a closed course, then maybe they
should all just go home.

Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves Professionals if
they're going to show up at a race, and not race. Its an
open race, its not like they expected a European-style of
event. Well, on 2nd thought, most Euro races are held on
tight roads/paths barely wide enough to ride 3-across, and
at this time of the year, its usually cold and raining and
the roads are covered with mud..... maybe U.S. pros have
gotten soft, just because they can't ride on wide, flat,
smooth, clean roads in the warm sunshine.... The promotor
should just cancel the men's race for lack of participation
and give the $$ to the women.

Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there were
vehicles getting on to the course.... smart to cancel. I
live just down the road from the PVSR. It is a tough and
difficult course, but nothing that "Professionals" should
not have been able to handle.

Good show by the officials giving the money to the riders
with balls, the women.

"Ronde Chump" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040319153959.29922.00000014@mb-
m19.aol.com...
> Is this phenomenon (the men refusing to race) a CA thing,
> or are there
just
> some really vocal sprinter types that don't want to have
> to work hard to
stay
> at the front? I didn't see the course, but if they were
> concerned about
lots
> of twists, turns and tight corners, on a closed course,
> then maybe they
should
> all just go home.
>
> Maybe they shouldn't be calling themselves Professionals
> if they're going
> show up at a race, and not race. Its an open race, its not
> like they
expected
> a European-style of event. Well, on 2nd thought, most Euro
> races are held
on
> tight roads/paths barely wide enough to ride 3-across, and
> at this time of
the
> year, its usually cold and raining and the roads are
> covered with mud..... maybe U.S. pros have gotten soft,
> just because they can't ride on wide,
flat,
> smooth, clean roads in the warm sunshine.... The promotor
> should just cancel the men's race for lack of
> participation
and

Anthony G Gough wrote:
> Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there
> were vehicles getting on to the course.... smart to
> cancel. I live just down the road from the PVSR. It is a
> tough and difficult course, but nothing that
> "Professionals" should not have been able to handle.
>
> Good show by the officials giving the money to the riders
> with balls, the women.

I lived within approx 2 miles of the Sea Otter course, and
was a course marshal for that stage. I agree -- the
promoters just plain didn't do their home work for that
day. I can't comment about PMSR, but from my experience
racing there in the past, it would surprise me if this was
the case there.

Dan

pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The women raced a field of 100 with only a few crashes and
> little whining. The men saw a downhill 180 turn and
> started wimpering and eventually stopped racing. Boo hoo.
>
> Granted, they were probably travelling faster than the
> women, and had 50% more riders, but sheesh! What a bunch
> of losers! I can see their problem with Sea Otter last
> year, since there was a good chance that cars would pull
> out on the road - something potentially lethal - but to
> quit just because there is a chance of crashing? C'mon! Go
> to freakin' Belgium and learn how to stay upright on 5
> foot wide paths covered in cobbles and pig ****.

Hey pedalchick, whoever you are, I know you're just trying
to throw out some controversy for fun (and please keep it
up) but I think the Pros made the right call. I'm in the 35+
race and did that stage with 100 riders. The problem isn't
the 180s (there are two) but the narrow TWISTING bike paths
and the masonry barriers that funnel down the road abruptly
in four or five spots. I guarantee you that a few riders'
seasons would have been ended had they done that race. Or
worse. Perhaps we'll get Erik Saunders to comment if he ever
looks in here again. He could tell you some interesting
stuff about how the decision was made and, more
significantly, by who (or is it whom?)

The complexion of the 35+ race was totally impacted by
crashes on that course. E.g., on the first lap a bunch of
guys domino crashed into Thurlow Rogers and I smacked him
from behind and flipped over and landed on him (fortunately
for me) but I think I was the only one to get up and chase
back onto the front group. Thurlow was hurt and never made
it back, but he did continue. Chris Walker was able to get
away from all the chaos and get enough time that first day
to seal the vee. What a shame to not have those two warriors
battling it out for all four stages. Chris' team (Labor
Power) knew Thurlow crashed--should they have eased up or
should they have drilled it??? (BTW, there were lots of
other crashes, including one with Mark Scott the 35+ US
national crit champ and he fractured his eye-socket bone.)

I should add that I love technical courses like this one,
but this was just a little over the edge.

Mark

P.S. They are using a sun dial to time the women's race. :)

On 20 Mar 2004 16:19:07 -0800, [email protected] (Mark Fennell)
wrote:
> Chris' team (Labor Power)

Oh, the team with that guy who writes like a 13 year-old
high on Mountain Dew...how nice.

JT

Dan Connelly wrote:
> Anthony G Gough wrote:
>
>> Last year at Sea Otter it was an open course and there
>> were vehicles getting
... snip ...

> I lived within approx 2 miles of the Sea Otter course, and
> was a course marshal for that stage. I agree -- the
> promoters just plain didn't do their home work for that
> day. I can't comment about PMSR, but from my experience
> racing there in the past, it would surprise me if this was
> the case there.

Dan,

I live a short block from the course and completely agree
that the race was unsafe for a large field, especially on
the narrow
climb.

However, what I saw as the biggest safety issue, was
that the motorcycle cops simply had no understanding of
what a rolling closure is. Rather than plugging the side
streets until the broom wagon came by, they simply rode
in large groups at the head of the riders. This allowed
unaware (or uncaring) motorists to jump into the rolling
closure and endanger the riders. Most intersections had
no course marshal.

Ray

In article <[email protected]>,
PedalChick <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (erik saunders) wrote in message news:<20040322172537.01800.00000236@mb-
> m03.aol.com>...
> > oh- and a lot of the other categories came to me and
> > said that they appreciated that we took a stand... they
> > too felt like it wasnt safe, and they said that if the
> > 3s or women or masters complain they arent taken
> > seriously, so they just keep quiet... no one listens
> > until the pros complain and then the promoters take it
> > seriously... one top woman told me that they feel like
> > there are so few races for women of any quality that if
> > they complain the promoters will just not have a women's
> > race, and so they almost rely on the men to be more
> > forceful in these matters of safety...
>
> Ahhha. Finally the thing that I was trolling for. The
> women and the lower categories really do have to just suck
> up whatever the promoters throw at them, but if the pro
> men protest, it has an effect. I still stand behind my
> assertion that the USAC officials that approved the course
> should have looked closer. Maybe we need more retired pros
> to volunteer to act in this position.
The ironic thing is that it is easier, in many cases, to
have the Chief Referee look at and approve a local level
race than it is for a national level event. In most cases
a national level event has a Chief Referee who lives
outside the area/region where the national level race is
held. This makes it hard to bring in the CR ahead of time
to inspect the course and offer advice on changes to make
the course safer.

Local races tend to have local officials appointed as the
CRs so it is esier to bring the CR in to inspect a course
ahead of time. I'm sure this is a situation that will be
looked at in the near future.