python - a center-steered lowrider

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Juergen, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Hi bent-folks,

    let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the
    urban traffic.

    Here is the link to my homepage:

    http://www.python.de.tt

    Please let me know your opinion about the bike!

    bent but not broken,

    Juergen.

    Tags:

  2. Nomad

    Nomad Guest

    Gadzuks Juergen! How do you steer?

  3. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Nomad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gadzuks Juergen! How do you steer?

    Hi Nomad,

    I must admit, there is no handlebar. But it is not necessary because the python is steered by feet.
    This needs some learning (about 1 week) but then it works fine ...

    Juergen.

    http://www.python.de.tt

  4. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    Wow! Cool bike. Is that a BB and crankarms for the steering joint?

  5. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    That is the coolest, weeeeeerdest thing I've seen in a while. I imagine there will be some folks
    over here happy to cut up some junkers and try that design. If I could weld, I might try.

    Sj

    > http://www.python.de.tt

  6. Bentnut

    Bentnut Guest

    Very COOL! Can you tell us a little more about riding it? How do you start, stop, turn, etc...

    "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

  7. Great design! And great to see some new(?) thoughts. I might try to copy the design for my
    next project - do you feel safe in traffic on the python? I would expect a bit of anxiety
    going fast downhill.

    Can I -please- use the photos on www.hpv-klub.dk ?

    Regards, Torben

    "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

  8. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Looks pretty cool, but a little lacking in room between the 'nads and the front tire. "juergen"
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

  9. Mark Helmus

    Mark Helmus Guest

    just brings out a new use for a "bike" cup!

  10. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Yeah, agree it's cool.

    If you build it, I would be interested on how you make out.

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Great design! And great to see some new(?) thoughts. I might try to copy
    the
    > design for my next project - do you feel safe in traffic on the python? I would expect a bit of
    > anxiety going fast downhill.
    >
    > Can I -please- use the photos on www.hpv-klub.dk ?
    >
    > Regards, Torben
    >
    > "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi bent-folks,
    > >
    > > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of
    > > learning the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even
    > > in the urban traffic.
    > >
    > > Here is the link to my homepage:
    > >
    > > http://www.python.de.tt
    > >
    > > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    > >
    > > bent but not broken,
    > >
    > > Juergen.

  11. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Very cool. I think you could be really on to something here.

    What is the rubber flap, on the articulation part of the bike for?

    Why do you have the bolt through the rubber for, (looks like folded up inner tubes), is that for
    suspension?

    Rob.

    "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

  12. Thats very interesting, Juergen.

    The first time I went to your site, all I saw was the 3-D modelling and did not notice the link to
    the photos.

    You've really done a good job of an interesting looking machine. Did it take you very long to get
    used to the steering?

    Good luck.

    Lewis.

    http://tinyurl.com/8vvh .........................

  13. "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah, agree it's cool.
    >
    > If you build it, I would be interested on how you make out.

    I'll post experiences here, if I choose to build it. I'm torn between building a Zephyr lowracer
    using parts from my old DF racer (ancient Dura Ace components - 7400 series), and the Python, which
    would be a fun and challenging project.

    Torben

  14. Juergen very interesting bent design, 1st time I saw the python page I only saw the CAD and did not
    notice the link to the photos. Once I saw the pics the CAD made more sense. (forgive this OT)...but
    being an architecture groupie...what is the building in the background?
    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Great design! And great to see some new(?) thoughts. I might try to copy
    the
    > design for my next project - do you feel safe in traffic on the python? I would expect a bit of
    > anxiety going fast downhill.
    >
    > Can I -please- use the photos on www.hpv-klub.dk ?
    >
    > Regards, Torben
    >
    > "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi bent-folks,
    > >
    > > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of
    > > learning the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even
    > > in the urban traffic.
    > >
    > > Here is the link to my homepage:
    > >
    > > http://www.python.de.tt
    > >
    > > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    > >
    > > bent but not broken,
    > >
    > > Juergen.

  15. Paul Milner

    Paul Milner Guest

    [email protected] (juergen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

    Hi Juergen, Will you be offering plans for the Python? Paul Milner

  16. Nice bike !

    This steering principle is used also in the original Dutch Flevobike bike, trike and racer. For
    pics see: http://www.ligfiets.net/fietsen Choose Tempelman - Bike, Trike, Racer. Comments are in
    Dutch language.

    Comments say that learning time is 1 to 4 weeks, though some people never learn.

    greetings from Holland, leendert prevo

    -<\\\ leendert

    | @ _ goes by bent \\\/ \_
    =|=\x/=|=# gaat per ligfiets
    ____(_)___(_)____________________________ flevobike fifty-fifty

  17. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Thanks a lot for all your positive feedback. I am glad that you like the python.

    I try to answer your questions:

    - yes, the steering joint is simply a bottom bracket, which is welded to the front part. The BB's
    crankarms are attached to the middle part of the frame by nuts and bolts. By opening them, the
    python can be split in the middle, which makes storage and transportation easy.
    - the rubber block which is attached to the BB is not really necessary, but it makes steering
    smoother and the handling easier.
    - the rear suspension is done by cut inner tubes with a bolt through, thus the strength can be
    adjusted. It is similar to a ZOX suspension, but much cheaper.
    - the python runs stable even going fast downhill.
    - the building in the background is the old hospital of Erlangen/Germany. Mid 19th century.

    have fun,

    Juergen.

  18. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    > This steering principle is used also in the original Dutch Flevobike bike, trike and racer.

    That is right. But the ancestor of the python is the airbike (http://www.airbike.de) and not the
    flevobike. I rode the airbike for 7 years and wanted to create a lowracer-version of it, firstly
    because it is faster and secondly because I like to touch the ground with my hands when starting and
    stopping so that my feet can stay on the pedals. (thirdly maybe picking flowers while riding;-)

    > Comments say that learning time is 1 to 4 weeks, though some people never learn.

    I guess that riding the python is much easier than the flevobike because it is more stable and the
    steering is not that agile. The disadvantage of the python is the relatively big turning cycle of 7
    meters. The bike loves to go straight ahead...

    regards,

    Juergen.

  19. Kirt Bowman

    Kirt Bowman Guest

    Great design verrrrrrrrry cool This is certainly one of the most innovative home builts I have ever
    seen. You ought to make plans available I know I would buy them.

    --
    Kirt Bowman
    24/20 v-rex r-30 vision

    "juergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.

  20. Penguinista

    Penguinista Guest

    juergen wrote:
    > Hi bent-folks,
    >
    > let me introduce an easy-to-build 2x26" center-steered lowrider to you. It took me some time of
    > pre-studies but only 2 weeks of building-time (I did not spent more than 10 bucks for material).
    > The python weighs about 17kg fully equipped, the seat height is 32cm. After some time of learning
    > the center-steering-basics, it is easy to ride and quite fast. I ride it daily - even in the urban
    > traffic.
    >
    > Here is the link to my homepage:
    >
    > http://www.python.de.tt
    >
    > Please let me know your opinion about the bike!
    >
    > bent but not broken,
    >
    > Juergen.
    Interesting design.

    Tips on the photo page: smaller pictures, crop to item of interest, thumbnails. Was taking way too
    long to download on my slow connection.