python airlight's

Mitch Pollard

Guest
got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear well
that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??

ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

Mitch Pollard wrote:
> got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear
> well that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes,
> will generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
>
> ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

Are you related to crazy6?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mitch Pollard wrote:
> got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear
> well that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes,
> will generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
>
> ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

I found that they are a little sketchy in the turns. They keep the weight
of the bike down though. A patch kit repairs tubes, not tires. If you have
a slash in your tire, usually that's the end of it. If you are gutsy
enough, you can try sewing them back together.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mitch Pollard wrote:
> got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear well
> that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
> generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
>
> ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

They're ****! Should change the name from Python to Snakebite. Just one
reporter's opinion, but, it's true, they are ****!
I don't want to throw them away because they're barely used, but I
can't think of ANY use they'd be good for, and I mean on OR OFF the
bike.
****!

/s

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mitch Pollard wrote:
> > got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear

well
> > that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
> > generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
> >
> > ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

> They're ****! Should change the name from Python to Snakebite. Just one
> reporter's opinion, but, it's true, they are ****!
> I don't want to throw them away because they're barely used, but I
> can't think of ANY use they'd be good for, and I mean on OR OFF the
> bike.
> ****!

Use 'em as tyre liners.

Shaun aRe

Mitch Pollard said:
got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear well
that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??

ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??
I love the Pythons which came with my XTC 2. Very nice on the tracks I normally ride on (not very rocky). I have gotten one flat, but it's far from common.

The exception to this was a 12 hour enduro I did on the weekend. I did two laps with the pythons on, and got a flat both times. A team mate also did a lap with pythons, he too flatted. The course for this event was incredibly rocky, and the sidewalls of the pythons basically weren't up to it. On the other hand, one of the guys in the three person team which won the event overall is a Python fan, and his UST pythons didn't flat once. Probably a mix of his greater skills avioding the nastier rocks, and the increased strength of the sidewalls on the UST version.

So I'd say go the Pythons for non-rocky trails, but go for something else (or the UST version) if you're having puncture problems. They are nice tires when they work: light, fast rolling, and pretty grippy in all conditions.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mitch Pollard wrote:
> > got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear

well
> > that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
> > generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
> >
> > ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

> They're ****! Should change the name from Python to Snakebite. Just one
> reporter's opinion, but, it's true, they are ****!
> I don't want to throw them away because they're barely used, but I
> can't think of ANY use they'd be good for, and I mean on OR OFF the
> bike.
> ****!

You must be using them differently. Pythons are pretty popular amongst
people I ride with. Keep in mind they are a race tyre so they're a bit more
sensitive than most. They must have enough pressure and need to be ridden
smoothly.
I've never had a pinch flat[1] on a python[2] and I've been racing on them
for over a year. That includes 600 km of Whistler and Squamish trails on a
recent holiday.
Admittedly the python was a little slippery for racing black diamond
whistler trails but it did grip fine for last saturdays 12 hour enduro which
saw a lot of rain. Grippy enough to pull off a win in male pairs.

[1] I did pinch flat once in a race from far too little pressure but that
was my fault.
[2] I have only had an airlight python on the front, always run a gold on
the back as they're a little beefier

"SomeGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mitch Pollard Wrote:
> > got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear
> > well
> > that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
> > generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
> >
> > ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

> I love the Pythons which came with my XTC 2. Very nice on the tracks I
> normally ride on (not very rocky). I have gotten one flat, but it's far
> from common.
>
> The exception to this was a 12 hour enduro I did on the weekend. I did
> two laps with the pythons on, and got a flat both times. A team mate
> also did a lap with pythons, he too flatted. The course for this event
> was incredibly rocky, and the sidewalls of the pythons basically
> weren't up to it. On the other hand, one of the guys in the three
> person team which won the event overall is a Python fan, and his UST
> pythons didn't flat once. Probably a mix of his greater skills avioding
> the nastier rocks, and the increased strength of the sidewalls on the
> UST version.

I'd just posted before I read this. What sort of flats were they and what
pressures were you running?
I ran pythons all day at the FGP 12 hour with no problems (8 laps). I use a
guage to make sure I have 35 psi in the front and 37-38 psi in the back. I
weigh 73 kg or so so heavier people may need more pressure or maybe a
stronger tyre.
I admit the python sidewalls are flimsy but much stronger than something
like a Larsen TT. Picking a good line and weight transfer are critical to
tyre life and speed through those rock gardens.
The guy you mentioned who won overall (Ash Thomas) runs UST pythons (I
think) and they have stronger sidewalls than regular pythons.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Mitch Pollard wrote:
> >> got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the
> >> rear well that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure
> >> tubes, will generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
> >>
> >> ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

> > They're ****! Should change the name from Python to Snakebite. Just
> > one reporter's opinion, but, it's true, they are ****!
> > I don't want to throw them away because they're barely used, but I
> > can't think of ANY use they'd be good for, and I mean on OR OFF the
> > bike.
> > ****!
> >
> > /s

> Pinch-flatting? Up your pressure or ride smoother.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Easy to say when you're a skinny guy riding in Florida ;)

Point is, I returned to the Japanese Fire XCs. Using the same pressure
(37-40) I've had far less problems, even though I'm able to ride them
more agressively. Their weight and durability is good too.

Less problems + more control = good tire.

/s

"Watch out for that coconut!"

I've run various Pythons (at 28 psi) for many years. The only flat I've
had was with the AirLight version, from broken glass. (The rubber on
the AirLight isn't very sturdy). These are one of the very best
all-around tire available, very well suited to California trails.

Slime works okay if you're in thorn country - but it's messy and will
bugger up your pump and gauge. I'd suggest regular Pyhons (Python
Gold), good quality name-brand tubes, but no slime unless absolutely
necessary.

Duncan wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Mitch Pollard wrote:
> > > got a pair on my xtc3, both flatted, front was a dubbl G and the rear

> well
> > > that was just flat when i got home, it runs high pressure tubes, will
> > > generic (good quality) puncutre rep kit fix em??
> > >
> > > ps these tyres are light but too thin. will slime help me??

> > They're ****! Should change the name from Python to Snakebite. Just one
> > reporter's opinion, but, it's true, they are ****!
> > I don't want to throw them away because they're barely used, but I
> > can't think of ANY use they'd be good for, and I mean on OR OFF the
> > bike.
> > ****!

> You must be using them differently. Pythons are pretty popular amongst
> people I ride with. Keep in mind they are a race tyre so they're a bit more
> sensitive than most. They must have enough pressure and need to be ridden
> smoothly.
> I've never had a pinch flat[1] on a python[2] and I've been racing on them
> for over a year. That includes 600 km of Whistler and Squamish trails on a
> recent holiday.
> Admittedly the python was a little slippery for racing black diamond
> whistler trails but it did grip fine for last saturdays 12 hour enduro which
> saw a lot of rain. Grippy enough to pull off a win in male pairs.
>
> [1] I did pinch flat once in a race from far too little pressure but that
> was my fault.
> [2] I have only had an airlight python on the front, always run a gold on
> the back as they're a little beefier

Differently? You mean inside-out, or something harder to quantify? I
consider myself a standard-to-agressive JRA XCer, hardtail, 80mm,
200lbs, NY, who did some racing (with a Ritchey Slick on the back, no
less). Like I said, it's one reporter's opinion, even though this
reporter has gone through a lot of different tires in his time. I've
had better and worse experiences, but the Pythons were the only ones to
raise my ire. Well, maybe that Michelin Hot that herniated their flimsy
sidewalls before the rubber was even worn in.
I **** on these tires.
/s

[email protected] wrote:
> I've run various Pythons (at 28 psi) for many years. The only flat I've
> had was with the AirLight version, from broken glass. (The rubber on
> the AirLight isn't very sturdy). These are one of the very best
> all-around tire available, very well suited to California trails.
>
> Slime works okay if you're in thorn country - but it's messy and will
> bugger up your pump and gauge. I'd suggest regular Pyhons (Python
> Gold), good quality name-brand tubes, but no slime unless absolutely
> necessary.

I've had good experiences with Pythons. They're certainly not good
tyres if you are in rock country, I've had sidewalls go on me before but
I was screaming down some sharp loose shale at the time. Those
sidewalls are susceptible to damage and aren't very strong. But if you
use them as they're designed for, I'm sure that they'll be fine. I like
'em - light, fast rolling, and did I mention light? Horses for courses,
my good man. Don't use a thoroughbred where a Draughthorse would be
better suited.
--
Westie