q about DA 9spd STIs

Dan Baker

Guest
A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI shifters
for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an aging old 105
8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says their DA STIs
are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas Performance says
theirs are. But they are both listed as model 7700 .?!

My question is: does this mean they are different years? is
one functionally better than the other?

I doubt I would install flight deck on my single bike. i do
have it on my tandem for visual feedback on the current
gear, but I dunno if I'd want to messaround with setting it
up on another bike, so the flight deck-ness of the shifters
is irrelevant. I am just concerned about differences in
functionality if they are different years or slightly
different internal design.

comments?

dan baker wrote:

> A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
> their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
> Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
> model 7700 .?!

Note that the 7700 version only works with double
chainwheels, won't handle a triple. That's probably why
they're being closed out. The current 9-speed 7703 does work
with double or triple cranks.

Sheldon "Ultegra Is Better Value" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes
| against it, | but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at
| anchor. | --Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
-------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

Originally posted by Dan Baker
A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI shifters
for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an aging old 105
8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says their DA STIs
are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas Performance says
theirs are. But they are both listed as model 7700 .?!

My question is: does this mean they are different years? is
one functionally better than the other?

I doubt I would install flight deck on my single bike. i do
have it on my tandem for visual feedback on the current
gear, but I dunno if I'd want to messaround with setting it
up on another bike, so the flight deck-ness of the shifters
is irrelevant. I am just concerned about differences in
functionality if they are different years or slightly
different internal design.

comments?
ST-7700-C is double compatible with Flight Deck.
ST-7700 is double without Flight Deck compatibility. It may come with the the "Gear View" that can be inserted into the right shift cable. There is no functional advantage of one over the other.
ST-7703 is triple/double and Fight Deck compatible.
All 3 DURA ACE units have 3 year warranty.
ULtegra works well and is usually priced quite a bit lower, and is double/triple compatible. Ultegra is warranteed 2 years.

dan baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
> their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
> Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
> model 7700 .?!

I bought the non flight deck version a few years ago and
have had no trouble. I think Peter Chisholm says the non
flight deck are actually more reliable (and he sees a lot of
them). The price I see at Nashbar doesn't look that great. I
paid $199 for mine. If I had it to do over, I'd get Ultegra
or 105. I've actually got 105 on my other bike and I don't
see any real difference. And as Sheldon points out, Ultegra
or 105 work for either a double or triple.

Art Harris

<< A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
model 7700 .?!

My question is: does this mean they are different years? is
one functionally better than the other? >>

Nashbar still carries the original non-flite deck 7700
shifers, which they designate "7700-L". Most everybody else
sells the newer 7700-C flite deck model. The non-flite deck
model, lacking the internal wiring harness and additional
parts, is a few grams lighter. They are slightly easier to
set-up and are said to be more reliable than the flite deck
version. You know, "fewer things to break..." Nashbar just
had a 20% off promotion, but it ended yesterday.

botfood-<< Nashbar says their DA STIs are not "flight-deck"
compatible, whereas Performance says theirs are. But they
are both listed as model 7700 .?!

My question is: does this mean they are different years?
>><BR><BR>

Flitedeck 7700 came out in 1999, I think. Were the same thru
2003. My experience is that the non-flitedeck were more
reliable but still we saw a lot fail. Why not upgrade to
Campagnolo ERGO/rear der for 9s or even 10s? Never have a
failed lever problem again.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
> [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
---------------------
thanks for the input fellas... The older shifters would be
fine for me as I plan to keep a double on my roadbike.

After pricing and looking up weights on shifters, cassette,
derailleur, crank, bottom bracket it looks like DA is about
$350 more than ultegra for an 8oz. total difference. Its
looking like Ultegra will be just fine. ;)

I know that I don't HAVE to replace whole crank for the 8 to
9 speed conversion, but my BB and chainrings are pretty much
shot, so I might as well.

thanks again, d

"dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
> > [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
> > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
> > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
> ---------------------
> thanks for the input fellas... The older shifters would be
> fine for me as I plan to keep a double on my roadbike.
>
> After pricing and looking up weights on shifters,
> cassette, derailleur, crank, bottom bracket it looks like
> DA is about $350 more than ultegra for an 8oz. total
> difference. Its looking like Ultegra will be just fine. ;)
>
> I know that I don't HAVE to replace whole crank for the 8
> to 9 speed conversion, but my BB and chainrings are pretty
> much shot, so I might as well.
>
> thanks again, d

I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
STI between D/A and Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just
feels better.

Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a little
less for D/A than I would've for Ultegra.

Mike

Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:

> I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
> STI between D/A and Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just
> feels better.

> Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a little
> less for D/A than I would've for Ultegra.

I use DA STI on one bike and 105 on the other. Both were
bought new. I can't say that the DA shifts any better. Yes,
it's got metal in places where Ultegra/105 use plasic, but I
don't think that's very critical. Cables/housings may
account for a different feel.

Also, Shimano may not be supporting 9sp DA now that
10sp is out.

Art "just my 2 cents" Harris

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
>
> > I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
> > STI between D/A
and
> > Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just feels better.
>
> > Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a
> > little less for D/A
than
> > I would've for Ultegra.
>
> I use DA STI on one bike and 105 on the other. Both were
> bought new. I can't say that the DA shifts any better.
> Yes, it's got metal in places where Ultegra/105 use
> plasic, but I don't think that's very critical.
> Cables/housings may account for a different feel.
>
> Also, Shimano may not be supporting 9sp DA now that
> 10sp is out.
>
> Art "just my 2 cents" Harris

I've noticed firmer clicks in the D/A. More "Campy-ish" vs.
Rapidfire Plus.

I'm guessing that Shimano's going to phase out their 9sp
stuff in a few years, but there's probably going to parts
availability for the foreseeable future. Heck! You can still
get 8sp D/A. (and 7, and 6...)

Mike