q about DA 9spd STIs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI shifters
    for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an aging old 105
    8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says their DA STIs
    are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas Performance says
    theirs are. But they are both listed as model 7700 .?!

    My question is: does this mean they are different years? is
    one functionally better than the other?

    I doubt I would install flight deck on my single bike. i do
    have it on my tandem for visual feedback on the current
    gear, but I dunno if I'd want to messaround with setting it
    up on another bike, so the flight deck-ness of the shifters
    is irrelevant. I am just concerned about differences in
    functionality if they are different years or slightly
    different internal design.

    comments?

  2. dan baker wrote:

    > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
    > their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
    > Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
    > model 7700 .?!

    Note that the 7700 version only works with double
    chainwheels, won't handle a triple. That's probably why
    they're being closed out. The current 9-speed 7703 does work
    with double or triple cranks.

    Sheldon "Ultegra Is Better Value" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes
    | against it, | but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at
    | anchor. | --Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
    -------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
    find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763

  4. Harris

    Harris Guest

    dan baker <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
    > their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
    > Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
    > model 7700 .?!

    I bought the non flight deck version a few years ago and
    have had no trouble. I think Peter Chisholm says the non
    flight deck are actually more reliable (and he sees a lot of
    them). The price I see at Nashbar doesn't look that great. I
    paid $199 for mine. If I had it to do over, I'd get Ultegra
    or 105. I've actually got 105 on my other bike and I don't
    see any real difference. And as Sheldon points out, Ultegra
    or 105 work for either a double or triple.

    Art Harris

  5. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike... Nashbar says
    their DA STIs are not "flight-deck" compatible, whereas
    Performance says theirs are. But they are both listed as
    model 7700 .?!

    My question is: does this mean they are different years? is
    one functionally better than the other? >>

    Nashbar still carries the original non-flite deck 7700
    shifers, which they designate "7700-L". Most everybody else
    sells the newer 7700-C flite deck model. The non-flite deck
    model, lacking the internal wiring harness and additional
    parts, is a few grams lighter. They are slightly easier to
    set-up and are said to be more reliable than the flite deck
    version. You know, "fewer things to break..." Nashbar just
    had a 20% off promotion, but it ended yesterday.

  6. botfood-<< Nashbar says their DA STIs are not "flight-deck"
    compatible, whereas Performance says theirs are. But they
    are both listed as model 7700 .?!

    My question is: does this mean they are different years?
    >><BR><BR>

    Flitedeck 7700 came out in 1999, I think. Were the same thru
    2003. My experience is that the non-flitedeck were more
    reliable but still we saw a lot fail. Why not upgrade to
    Campagnolo ERGO/rear der for 9s or even 10s? Never have a
    failed lever problem again.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
    > [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
    ---------------------
    thanks for the input fellas... The older shifters would be
    fine for me as I plan to keep a double on my roadbike.

    After pricing and looking up weights on shifters, cassette,
    derailleur, crank, bottom bracket it looks like DA is about
    $350 more than ultegra for an 8oz. total difference. Its
    looking like Ultegra will be just fine. ;)

    I know that I don't HAVE to replace whole crank for the 8 to
    9 speed conversion, but my BB and chainrings are pretty much
    shot, so I might as well.

    thanks again, d

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
    > > [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A couple places are advertising Dura-ace 9 spd STI
    > > shifters for sale, and I am thinking about replacing an
    > > aging old 105 8 spd system on my road bike...
    > ---------------------
    > thanks for the input fellas... The older shifters would be
    > fine for me as I plan to keep a double on my roadbike.
    >
    > After pricing and looking up weights on shifters,
    > cassette, derailleur, crank, bottom bracket it looks like
    > DA is about $350 more than ultegra for an 8oz. total
    > difference. Its looking like Ultegra will be just fine. ;)
    >
    > I know that I don't HAVE to replace whole crank for the 8
    > to 9 speed conversion, but my BB and chainrings are pretty
    > much shot, so I might as well.
    >
    > thanks again, d

    I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
    STI between D/A and Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just
    feels better.

    Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a little
    less for D/A than I would've for Ultegra.

    Mike

  9. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
    > STI between D/A and Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just
    > feels better.

    > Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a little
    > less for D/A than I would've for Ultegra.

    I use DA STI on one bike and 105 on the other. Both were
    bought new. I can't say that the DA shifts any better. Yes,
    it's got metal in places where Ultegra/105 use plasic, but I
    don't think that's very critical. Cables/housings may
    account for a different feel.

    Also, Shimano may not be supporting 9sp DA now that
    10sp is out.

    Art "just my 2 cents" Harris

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I know that for me, the difference in the feel of the
    > > STI between D/A
    and
    > > Ultegra makes it worth it. D/A just feels better.
    >
    > > Granted, I bought both my pair semi-used, so paid a
    > > little less for D/A
    than
    > > I would've for Ultegra.
    >
    > I use DA STI on one bike and 105 on the other. Both were
    > bought new. I can't say that the DA shifts any better.
    > Yes, it's got metal in places where Ultegra/105 use
    > plasic, but I don't think that's very critical.
    > Cables/housings may account for a different feel.
    >
    > Also, Shimano may not be supporting 9sp DA now that
    > 10sp is out.
    >
    > Art "just my 2 cents" Harris

    I've noticed firmer clicks in the D/A. More "Campy-ish" vs.
    Rapidfire Plus.

    I'm guessing that Shimano's going to phase out their 9sp
    stuff in a few years, but there's probably going to parts
    availability for the foreseeable future. Heck! You can still
    get 8sp D/A. (and 7, and 6...)

    Mike