Q about one of Friel's tests.

joule

Sep 7, 2004
Table 5.2 (page 59) of his training bible details how long you held either your LT or your Anaerobic Endurance. Not sure which he means here as book is not clear on the matter. I'm guessing the test should be how long you can sustain an effort above your LT and not above your Anaerobic Endurance. Basically am asking is the minimum heart rate for this test your min 5A or 5B zone?

joule said:
Table 5.2 (page 59) of his training bible details how long you held either your LT or your Anaerobic Endurance. Not sure which he means here as book is not clear on the matter. I'm guessing the test should be how long you can sustain an effort above your LT and not above your Anaerobic Endurance. Basically am asking is the minimum heart rate for this test your min 5A or 5B zone?
I've read over that and you're right, it seems a little sketchy. The way I read it (I have the 3rd edition) is "effort above LT" as Friel defines LT in his 30/20 field test.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that table because it appears to be based on HR results. What would it mean if a person does 5+ minutes over LT on a super hot day in July? Would that mean they were in the "excellent" category for AE? Or was it just that their heart was working over time to cool their body?

Doctor Morbius said:
I've read over that and you're right, it seems a little sketchy. The way I read it (I have the 3rd edition) is "effort above LT" as Friel defines LT in his 30/20 field test.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that table because it appears to be based on HR results. What would it mean if a person does 5+ minutes over LT on a super hot day in July? Would that mean they were in the "excellent" category for AE? Or was it just that their heart was working over time to cool their body?
Well I did the test yesterday at just above my AT (lower end of zone 5A or 165 - 168 bpm) and after 7 mins without much difficulty decided he must mean within zone 5B (169 - 174). I'll try that tomorrow morning on the trainer as the weather here looks to be pretty poor for a ride Saturday morning. Of course if anyone knows for sure what he meant (I have the third edition also) pass it along.

joule said:
Damn....That's the same book I have...I really need to study more. I don't have a HRM yet though, but will for this next season.:confused:

But I thought that LT and Anaerobic were in the same sort of zone are they not? How much of a difference will it make?

K50 said:
Damn....That's the same book I have...I really need to study more. I don't have a HRM yet though, but will for this next season.:confused:

But I thought that LT and Anaerobic were in the same sort of zone are they not? How much of a difference will it make?
:rolleyes: Ummmmm ... checking my last post.... about 4 bpm. I know that does not sound like much, but above LT, extended intervals get "fun" :p . I'm guessing I can hold it for 5 mins since threashold was not much of an issue for 7 mins. But then most my training at year was in the 163 - 170 range so it's not surprising. Spent most of my first year training working on building speed and endurance. Coming year will have more focus on force and technique.