Q: Admission charges for cycling events: Worlds 2003

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by angel_stain, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. angel_stain

    angel_stain Guest

    Q: Admission charges for cycling events: Worlds 2003

    For this year's upcoming world Championships in Hamilton, Ontario, the organizers are charging a fee
    for prime viewing areas.

    Is this a common practice at previous championships or say world cup events?

    Granted the Hamilton organization is only charging for "bleaker seating" and standing areas near
    start/ finish area that also have closed circuit television screens, however I found this quite odd.
    I've seen other cycling events with bleaker type seating such as some Giro stages or TdF's famous
    Champs Elysées lined with them, however I'm never heard of charging admission to spectators.

    Any care to provide their experience?

    Just wondering,

    Angelo Macchia

    Tags:

  2. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    >Is this a common practice at previous championships or say world cup events?

    What are they charging in Hamilton? Is there a micro-filtration mask included in the fee?

    My understanding is that it is common to charge an entry fee, esp. in the established cycling
    countries. Greg Miller

  3. Bikerecker wrote:

    > My understanding is that it is common to charge an entry fee, esp. in the established cycling
    > countries.

    Usually the charge is quite hefty for grandstands near the finish etc and some areas are often
    reserved VIP, organized tour groups, UCI hangers-on etc. Most of the main course is usually free
    entry since the circuits tend to be large and generally have uncontrollable entry. Although it's
    possible that you might end up having charges to enter areas that have big-screen TVs etc.

    At Euro races the traditon is to allow fans to get close to the pros prior to the start and to
    generally control the finish area. STF

  4. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    angel_stain wrote:

    > Granted the Hamilton organization is only charging for "bleaker seating" and standing areas
    > near start/ finish area that also have closed circuit television screens, however I found this
    > quite odd.

    I think they will also be charging for a good vantage point to watch the riders climb the Clairmont
    Access, and maybe on one of the other climbs (?) as well, but I don't know exactly where and how
    much they will charge.

    There couldn't be any more "bleaker seating" than along Main St.

  5. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    That's for health insurance and masks that the public will wear... like in Chinese airports...

  6. Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
    > angel_stain wrote:
    > > Granted the Hamilton organization is only charging for "bleaker seating" and standing areas
    > > near start/ finish area that also have closed circuit television screens, however I found this
    > > quite odd.

    > I think they will also be charging for a good vantage point to watch the riders climb the
    > Clairmont Access, and maybe on one of the other climbs (?) as well, but I don't know exactly where
    > and how much they will charge.

    > There couldn't be any more "bleaker seating" than along Main St.

    IIRC, Threshold has some VIP bleachers near the finish of Corestates/ First Union/Wachovia (Philly)
    but outside that area anyone can stand around and watch. All the party people go to Manayunk and all
    the cyclists go to Lemon Hill, anyway.