Q: Broken Shifter parts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod? I
    have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
    broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
    trigger has broken off.

    Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?
    --
    Westie

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Time for and upgrade my friend.

    I MTB 2004

  3. Ride-a-Lot

    Ride-a-Lot Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod?
    > I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
    > broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
    > trigger has broken off.
    >
    > Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?

    Deore level shifters are relatively inexpensive and not worth trying to repair. You can get a set
    for about $25. You may even find a replacement for the one you broke on eBay dirt cheap.

    After I broke two of these because I didn't realize the strength in my thumb (actually I was faced
    with a huge incline and tried to shift quickly), I switched to the more durable XT shifters. I now
    use XTR's and would never go to anything else. So smooth!

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts
    for
    > a deore shifter pod? I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with
    your
    > thumb to shift up got broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy
    > pawl on the side of the trigger has broken off.

    Same thing happened to my LX's except it slowly stopped engaging. My solution, I bought XTs. I was
    amazed out how much more sold they felt, way better than the LX's did out of the box.

    Greg

  5. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts
    > for
    >> a deore shifter pod? I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with
    > your
    >> thumb to shift up got broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy
    >> pawl on the side of the trigger has broken off.
    >>

    > Same thing happened to my LX's except it slowly stopped engaging. My solution, I bought XTs. I was
    > amazed out how much more sold they felt, way better than the LX's did out of the box.
    >
    > Greg

    Good to hear, as I am about to pick myself up some XT pods myself.

    Dave

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Thanks guys. It's time for an upgrade ;-)
    --
    Westie

  7. Mfgp

    Mfgp Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > Thanks guys. It's time for an upgrade ;-)
    > --
    > Westie

    Hopefully your bike is a 9 speed (i.e. 9 cogs on the rear cassette). If not, you will have
    difficulty finding 8 speed shifters other than on ebay. I trashed one of my 8 speed LX shifters last
    year and had to get some off ebay. No upgrade available new....only Deore.

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod?
    > I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
    > broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
    > trigger has broken off.
    >
    > Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=2387 but looks like replacement parts are for XT
    and above??

    But as you already know, it's time for an upgrade :) anyway.
    --
    Slacker

  9. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > solution, I bought XTs. I was amazed out how much more sold they felt,
    way
    > better than the LX's did out of the box.

    My Deore shifters on the trials rig need some positive pressure to shift into the lower gears, and I
    had gotten so used to it that when I got my used FR bike a week ago (LX shifter with broken-off
    indicator), it was so awkward to not have to feather the lever. Just push, click and release!

    I didn't think things could be that different with shifters, but boy I was wrong.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Slacker

    Slacker Guest