Q: Broken Shifter parts

Westie

Guest
I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod? I
have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
trigger has broken off.

Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?
--
Westie

Westie wrote:
> I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod?
> I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
> broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
> trigger has broken off.
>
> Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?

Deore level shifters are relatively inexpensive and not worth trying to repair. You can get a set
for about $25. You may even find a replacement for the one you broke on eBay dirt cheap.

After I broke two of these because I didn't realize the strength in my thumb (actually I was faced
with a huge incline and tried to shift quickly), I switched to the more durable XT shifters. I now
use XTR's and would never go to anything else. So smooth!

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts
for
> a deore shifter pod? I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with
your
> thumb to shift up got broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy
> pawl on the side of the trigger has broken off.

Same thing happened to my LX's except it slowly stopped engaging. My solution, I bought XTs. I was
amazed out how much more sold they felt, way better than the LX's did out of the box.

Greg

"G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts
> for
>> a deore shifter pod? I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with
> your
>> thumb to shift up got broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy
>> pawl on the side of the trigger has broken off.
>>

> Same thing happened to my LX's except it slowly stopped engaging. My solution, I bought XTs. I was
> amazed out how much more sold they felt, way better than the LX's did out of the box.
>
> Greg

Good to hear, as I am about to pick myself up some XT pods myself.

Dave

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Thanks guys. It's time for an upgrade ;-)
> --
> Westie

Hopefully your bike is a 9 speed (i.e. 9 cogs on the rear cassette). If not, you will have
difficulty finding 8 speed shifters other than on ebay. I trashed one of my 8 speed LX shifters last
year and had to get some off ebay. No upgrade available new....only Deore.

Westie wrote:
> I suppose that I am being overly optimistic, but can you get spare parts for a deore shifter pod?
> I have no idea what the bits are called but the 'trigger' you hit with your thumb to shift up got
> broken today and doesn't engage I opened it up tonight and a little alloy pawl on the side of the
> trigger has broken off.
>
> Do I call the LBS in the morning and ask for a new trigger or do I need a whole new shifter pod?

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=2387 but looks like replacement parts are for XT
and above??

But as you already know, it's time for an upgrade :) anyway.
--
Slacker

> solution, I bought XTs. I was amazed out how much more sold they felt,
way
> better than the LX's did out of the box.

My Deore shifters on the trials rig need some positive pressure to shift into the lower gears, and I
had gotten so used to it that when I got my used FR bike a week ago (LX shifter with broken-off
indicator), it was so awkward to not have to feather the lever. Just push, click and release!

I didn't think things could be that different with shifters, but boy I was wrong.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

http://cambriabike.com/SALE/shifter/index.htm
--