Q: Chain noisy on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by App, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. App

    App Guest

    This is a 10v campy record/chorus mix drive train. The chain is noisy
    on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Doesn't appear to be a b-screw thing, i.e., the der pulley is not
    contacting the cassette in any gear.

    Added bonus clue: I have crashed a number of times recently. Possibly
    a red herring as there is no cosmetic damage or obvious bends in the
    der.

    TIA

    App

    Tags:

  2. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, App
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This is a 10v campy record/chorus mix drive train. The chain is noisy
    > on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be a b-screw thing, i.e., the der pulley is not
    > contacting the cassette in any gear.
    >
    > Added bonus clue: I have crashed a number of times recently. Possibly
    > a red herring as there is no cosmetic damage or obvious bends in the
    > der.

    Noisy? In what way? Could be that the F. derailleur needs adjustment;
    is either of one of its plates be rubbing against the chain?

    Luke

  3. App

    App Guest

    <snip suggestion of fder issues>

    No, definitely not fder.

    Thanks for trying!

    App

  4. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hi, I'm not an expert but just a few thoughts that may help

    - is this something that has just started happening or has it gradually been
    getting worse over a period of time?
    - is the noise constant or only at certain crank positions?
    - have you checked the front chain ring for bent or damaged teeth?
    - have you checked the chain and front chainring for wear?
    - have you checked the chain cleanliness and lubrication?

    hth
    Jerry

    news:[email protected]

  5. App wrote:
    > This is a 10v campy record/chorus mix drive train. The chain is noisy
    > on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be a b-screw thing, i.e., the der pulley is not
    > contacting the cassette in any gear.
    >
    > Added bonus clue: I have crashed a number of times recently. Possibly
    > a red herring as there is no cosmetic damage or obvious bends in the
    > der.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > App

    Or der hanger...I'll bet a bent rear der or hanger is it.

  6. John

    John Guest

    App wrote:
    > This is a 10v campy record/chorus mix drive train. The chain is noisy
    > on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be a b-screw thing, i.e., the der pulley is not
    > contacting the cassette in any gear.
    >
    > Added bonus clue: I have crashed a number of times recently. Possibly
    > a red herring as there is no cosmetic damage or obvious bends in the
    > der.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > App

    I just had a similar problem except it was noisy on the small chainring
    (all rear cogs). It was a grinding sound that sounded like it came from
    the rear gears or derailler. The front teeth were badly worn and
    replacing the front chainrings fixed the drive train completely.

    The problem started when a new 8 speed freewheel and chain were
    installed to replace older Shimano 600 components.

  7. App

    App Guest

    Turns out it was the chain. Measured the chain and found only a smidge
    of stretch - certainly less than 1/8 inch over 12 inches - but replaced
    it anyway as I had a new chain handy and the old one had been on for
    about a year.

    Solved it. Thanks for all your input. I don't fully understand why it
    would be noisier on the big ring - maybe the greater chain angle off
    the big ring ?

    Thanks again.

    App