Q: daily level of leg soreness

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by vkhalsa, Jun 21, 2004.

1. vkhalsa

vkhalsa New Member

I'm curious about everyones daily level of leg soreness when they go out to ride. When i use to body build i would need at least 2 days rest for each muscle group but as much as 5 for legs. Obviously that was complete muscle breakdown so it differs. so my question is really for those who ride 5-6 days a week with plenty of protein and sleep, how sore are your legs each day you go out to ride? i find that each day when i ride, my legs aren't completely healed, but in order to ride 5-6 days a week they can't be completely fresh from day to day either.

Tags:

2. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Never sore at all, even if I do 5 days/week. Much more likely is heavy legs, where I just feel tired. And that might stick for a day or two. A light spin on the trainer seems to 'wake' them, and make me feel better.

3. nutbag

nutbag New Member

I was also into weights before I took up cycling, so when I did start riding I would train really hard, then have at least one day off. As far as I've been told, we're not meant to do more than 3 hard rides a week, then ride easy on the other days . Although I adhere to this, my legs a little bit sore most of the time -- not like D.O.M.S. after doing weights, but sort of tender, and sore to touch.

Lately I've been having two easy days after a hard day, and this seems to help. I'm trying a quick self-massage after each ride, just on my quads, and this has helped most of all.

Are you riding easy on alternate days?

4. vkhalsa

vkhalsa New Member

i don't know really... easy is so subjective. i think i'm in the same realm as you are nutbag. it's defiantely not DOMS but they're slightly sore nevertheless. In a way it effects my riding since my legs tire on hills a lot faster since they aren't completely healed. i don't do much milage (17 miles a day), because of this soreness. i think i'll try what you do and take short rides 2 days and then a long ride. thx.

5. steve007

steve007 New Member

I'm lucky i guess because i dont need to work anymore and it gives me time to concentrate on diet and recovery. I dont drink ANY alcohol or smoke and I try to eat and prepare fresh food.

I ride 4 days a week at least, if the weather is good, I might ride more. I make sure I consume enough carbs and protein. Pasta is excellent source of complex carbs. Also I try to nap whenever possible and make sure i get enough sleep. I've got an excercise bike in the garage and often i will go out and do an hours spinning late evening (I sometimes get the urge after midnight), i find it helps recovery alot.

6. zperrys

zperrys New Member

I also get some leg soreness after a workout that emphasizes climbing. But after a couple of days of riding the flats, or a day off, and I'm good as new.