Q: do you change your tubes at the beginning of each season?

vkhalsa

May 30, 2004
I'm curious if you guys change your tubes at the beginning of each season. I rode on my current tubes most of last season and very occasionally during the winter. so in other words, i'm questioning whether i should change them to prevent a flat caused by weakening of the tubes over a years time.

I wouldn't see any problem if they remain inflated right now...or maybe did they invent some ultra-light biodegradable tube that I don't know of... ;)

vkhalsa said:
I'm curious if you guys change your tubes at the beginning of each season. I rode on my current tubes most of last season and very occasionally during the winter. so in other words, i'm questioning whether i should change them to prevent a flat caused by weakening of the tubes over a years time.
I have seen tubes split at the stem from age, but generally I never change them until they leak. I never ride without a spare tube and co2.

vkhalsa said:
Tubes last a lot longer than just a year, in my experience. Currently have a Michelin Airstop on the rear tire that has 2 patches. It's been on the bike for 6000+miles and 15 months. Looked just fine when I replaced the wornout tire last month.

Yeah, I agree with what the others here have said. I don't see any reason to replace a tube that's holding air.