Q for Urban Adult BMX riderz

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Dart, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the advantage/disadvantage
    to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
    > advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun
    > really has caught my eye.
    >
    > Mike

    Now, I know you have great health insurance......right?!?!?

    That is a cool bike.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
    > advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun
    > really has caught my eye.

    The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal dropouts
    are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear wheel in the
    dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs can't move
    with the rear wheel.

    Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll probably
    have to run some kind of tensioner.

    There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
    they're not ideal solutions.

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
    | advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    the
    | rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    |
    | Mike

    Sweet bike ......shall I say it......Dude!

    I think Mr. Bomba covered the dropout side of things just wanted to say dont totally disregard "24
    bikes": http://www.abikeonline.com/en/index.html

    And as for more ideas of whats out there try here:

    http://unrealcycles.com/uc-links.htm

    Simon...........I ride a PornKing but not in pink!

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
    is
    > > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    the
    > > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > Now, I know you have great health insurance......right?!?!?

    Hehehe...yeah, but they raised the ER copay to $100 so I have to be a 'little' more careful.

    > That is a cool bike.

    I've fallen in with a bad crowd ;^) and have been doing some 'urban rides' here so I've been looking
    into something a little more stout.

    Mike

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
    is
    > > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    the
    > > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    >
    > The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
    > dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear wheel
    > in the dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs
    > can't move with the rear wheel.
    >
    > Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll
    > probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
    >
    > There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
    > they're not ideal solutions.

    Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase adjustment. As I've told Slacker I've
    been doing some urban riding and one of the guys we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he
    wants to turn into a dirt jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)

    Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...

  7. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
    > advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    the
    > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    >
    > Mike

    Horizontal dropouts will allow you to fine tune the chainstay length by about an inch, which could
    be useful, especially if you run it singlespeed. But if you're going that way, then can I interest
    you in: <http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/bike_check/article/0,15737,429610,00.html>

    OTOH horizontal dropouts can be a pain in the ass when used with QR skewers. I had problems were I
    couldn't clamp them down hard enough to stop the wheel from twisting, until I bought a hub which
    uses bolts instead. Also they are a bit of a pain to change the wheel, got to align them up just
    right etc.

    Steve E.

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
    is
    > | the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    > the
    > | rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    > |
    > | Mike
    > |

    > Sweet bike ......shall I say it......Dude!
    >
    > I think Mr. Bomba covered the dropout side of things just wanted to say
    dont
    > totally disregard "24 bikes": http://www.abikeonline.com/en/index.html
    >
    > And as for more ideas of whats out there try here:
    >
    > http://unrealcycles.com/uc-links.htm
    >
    > Simon...........I ride a PornKing but not in pink!

    Thanks for the options....Dude!

    Mike - Takes a real man to ride a pink bike!

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
    > advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    the
    > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.

    You want summink from these guys:

    www.basebikes.com

    They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older black ones.

    Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  13. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
    adjustment.

    > Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
    > 'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going to
    > make much difference.

    I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike
    manuals, hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of the most imnportant features on any
    bike I was buying.

  14. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
    > is
    > > > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts
    on
    > the
    > > > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    > >
    > > The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
    > > dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear
    > > wheel in the dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded
    > > tabs can't move with the rear wheel.
    > >
    > > Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll
    > > probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
    > >
    > > There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
    > > they're not ideal solutions.
    > >

    > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase adjustment. As I've told Slacker I've
    > been doing some urban riding and one of the guys we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he
    > wants to turn into a
    dirt
    > jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)

    Fantastic. I'd jump at the chance (pun intended), why can't I live in the US..

    > Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...

    Good on yer. Soon it'll be time to crank out my dirty tips again, apart from, well Bomba knows
    which one..

    Steve E.

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > You want summink from these guys:
    > >
    > > www.basebikes.com
    > >
    > > They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older black ones.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.
    >
    > What, designed by a 12 year old with a pack of crayons?

    Gee, and that wasn't a tired lie Bomba.

    Shaun aRe

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > is
    > on
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
    > > > dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear
    > > > wheel in the
    dropouts.
    > > > Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs can't move
    > > > with the rear wheel.
    > > >
    > > > Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if
    you're
    > > > running SS, you'll probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
    > > >
    > > > There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like,
    > > > but they're not ideal solutions.
    > > >

    > > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
    adjustment.
    > > As I've told Slacker I've been doing some urban riding and one of the
    guys
    > > we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he wants to turn into a
    > dirt
    > > jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)
    >
    > Fantastic. I'd jump at the chance (pun intended), why can't I live in the US..
    >
    > > Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...
    >
    > Good on yer. Soon it'll be time to crank out my dirty tips again, apart from, well Bomba knows
    > which one..
    >
    > Steve E.

    Any and all tips are welcome...

    Mike

  17. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    | >
    | > > You want summink from these guys:
    | > >
    | > > www.basebikes.com
    | > >
    | > > They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older
    black
    | > > ones.
    | > >
    | > > Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.
    | >
    | > What, designed by a 12 year old with a pack of crayons?
    |
    | Gee, and that wasn't a tired lie Bomba.
    |
    | Shaun aRe

    They could have been designed by a 5 year old hermaphrodite with one arm and a penchant for
    purple............they are still damn excellent bikes!

    Simon.......just prefer the name pornking over base :eek:)

  18. Lee Bower

    Lee Bower Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Michael Dart wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
    > adjustment.
    > >
    > > Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
    > > 'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going
    > > to make much difference.
    > >

    > I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike manuals,
    > hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of
    the
    > most imnportant features on any bike I was buying.

    I second that! Moving my rear wheel 1/4" forward on my Azonic Evolution (horizontal dropouts) made a
    huge difference on how it manuals and wheelies.

    Lee

  19. Lee Bower

    Lee Bower Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
    is
    > > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
    > the
    > > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Horizontal dropouts will allow you to fine tune the chainstay length by about an inch, which could
    > be useful, especially if you run it
    singlespeed.
    > But if you're going that way, then can I interest you in:
    > <http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/bike_check/article/0,15737,429610,00.html>
    >
    > OTOH horizontal dropouts can be a pain in the ass when used with QR
    skewers.
    > I had problems were I couldn't clamp them down hard enough to stop the
    wheel
    > from twisting, until I bought a hub which uses bolts instead. Also they
    are
    > a bit of a pain to change the wheel, got to align them up just right etc.
    >
    > Steve E.

    Chain tensioners for BMX bikes will also solve the wheel sliding problem.

    Lee

  20. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Lee Bower wrote:
    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    >>adjustment.
    >>
    >>>Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
    >>>'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going to
    >>>make much difference.
    >>>

    >>I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike manuals,
    >>hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of
    >
    > the
    >
    >>most imnportant features on any bike I was buying.
    >

    > I second that! Moving my rear wheel 1/4" forward on my Azonic Evolution (horizontal dropouts) made
    > a huge difference on how it manuals and wheelies.

    Yes, the placebo effect is very strong.

    Greg