Q for Urban Adult BMX riderz

Michael Dart

Guest
I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the advantage/disadvantage
to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.

Mike

> I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
> advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun
> really has caught my eye.
>
> Mike

Now, I know you have great health insurance......right?!?!?

That is a cool bike.
--
Slacker

Michael Dart wrote:
> I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
> advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on the rear? The Norco 5Hun
> really has caught my eye.

The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal dropouts
are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear wheel in the
dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs can't move
with the rear wheel.

Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll probably
have to run some kind of tensioner.

There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
they're not ideal solutions.

| I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
| advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
the
| rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
|
| Mike

Sweet bike ......shall I say it......Dude!

I think Mr. Bomba covered the dropout side of things just wanted to say dont totally disregard "24
bikes": http://www.abikeonline.com/en/index.html

And as for more ideas of whats out there try here:

http://unrealcycles.com/uc-links.htm

Simon...........I ride a PornKing but not in pink!

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
is
> > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
the
> > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
> >
> > Mike
>

> Now, I know you have great health insurance......right?!?!?

Hehehe...yeah, but they raised the ER copay to $100 so I have to be a 'little' more careful.

> That is a cool bike.

I've fallen in with a bad crowd ;^) and have been doing some 'urban rides' here so I've been looking
into something a little more stout.

Mike

> Michael Dart wrote:
> > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
is
> > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
the
> > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
>
> The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
> dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear wheel
> in the dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs
> can't move with the rear wheel.
>
> Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll
> probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
>
> There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
> they're not ideal solutions.

Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase adjustment. As I've told Slacker I've
been doing some urban riding and one of the guys we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he
wants to turn into a dirt jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)

Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...

> I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
> advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
the
> rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
>
> Mike

Horizontal dropouts will allow you to fine tune the chainstay length by about an inch, which could
be useful, especially if you run it singlespeed. But if you're going that way, then can I interest
you in: <http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/bike_check/article/0,15737,429610,00.html>

OTOH horizontal dropouts can be a pain in the ass when used with QR skewers. I had problems were I
couldn't clamp them down hard enough to stop the wheel from twisting, until I bought a hub which
uses bolts instead. Also they are a bit of a pain to change the wheel, got to align them up just
right etc.

Steve E.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
is
> | the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
> the
> | rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
> |
> | Mike
> |

> Sweet bike ......shall I say it......Dude!
>
> I think Mr. Bomba covered the dropout side of things just wanted to say
dont
> totally disregard "24 bikes": http://www.abikeonline.com/en/index.html
>
> And as for more ideas of whats out there try here:
>
> http://unrealcycles.com/uc-links.htm
>
> Simon...........I ride a PornKing but not in pink!

Thanks for the options....Dude!

Mike - Takes a real man to ride a pink bike!

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what is the
> advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
the
> rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.

You want summink from these guys:

www.basebikes.com

They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older black ones.

Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.

> Michael Dart wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
adjustment.

> Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
> 'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going to
> make much difference.

I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike
manuals, hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of the most imnportant features on any
bike I was buying.

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Michael Dart wrote:
> > > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
> is
> > > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts
on
> the
> > > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
> >
> > The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
> > dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear
> > wheel in the dropouts. Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded
> > tabs can't move with the rear wheel.
> >
> > Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if you're running SS, you'll
> > probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
> >
> > There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like, but
> > they're not ideal solutions.
> >

> Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase adjustment. As I've told Slacker I've
> been doing some urban riding and one of the guys we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he
> wants to turn into a
dirt
> jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)

Fantastic. I'd jump at the chance (pun intended), why can't I live in the US..

> Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...

Good on yer. Soon it'll be time to crank out my dirty tips again, apart from, well Bomba knows
which one..

Steve E.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > You want summink from these guys:
> >
> > www.basebikes.com
> >
> > They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older black ones.
> >
> > Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.
>
> What, designed by a 12 year old with a pack of crayons?

Gee, and that wasn't a tired lie Bomba.

Shaun aRe

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > is
> on
> > the
> > >
> > > The main issues are to do with gears and discs. If you're running a singlespeed, horizontal
> > > dropouts are preferable, as you can adjust chainlength by altering the distance of the rear
> > > wheel in the
dropouts.
> > > Unfortunately, this means the adding of discs is difficult because welded tabs can't move
> > > with the rear wheel.
> > >
> > > Conversely, vertical dropouts and discs will always work, but if
you're
> > > running SS, you'll probably have to run some kind of tensioner.
> > >
> > > There are ways and means of working around these generalisations with adapters and the like,
> > > but they're not ideal solutions.
> > >

> > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
adjustment.
> > As I've told Slacker I've been doing some urban riding and one of the
guys
> > we ride with has a huge (800x600feet) backyard he wants to turn into a
> dirt
> > jump park. I'm in for a bit of 'sweat equity' and some beer money. ;^)
>
> Fantastic. I'd jump at the chance (pun intended), why can't I live in the US..
>
> > Mike - soon to be a spademan too..er..two..uh...
>
> Good on yer. Soon it'll be time to crank out my dirty tips again, apart from, well Bomba knows
> which one..
>
> Steve E.

Any and all tips are welcome...

Mike

| bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
| >
| > > You want summink from these guys:
| > >
| > > www.basebikes.com
| > >
| > > They are the best in the multiverse, but less best since the older
black
| > > ones.
| > >
| > > Shaun aRe - One day, all bikes will be made this way.
| >
| > What, designed by a 12 year old with a pack of crayons?
|
| Gee, and that wasn't a tired lie Bomba.
|
| Shaun aRe

They could have been designed by a 5 year old hermaphrodite with one arm and a penchant for
purple............they are still damn excellent bikes!

Simon.......just prefer the name pornking over base :eek:)

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Michael Dart wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, I was wondering too if it was to give some wheelbase
> adjustment.
> >
> > Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
> > 'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going
> > to make much difference.
> >

> I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike manuals,
> hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of
the
> most imnportant features on any bike I was buying.

I second that! Moving my rear wheel 1/4" forward on my Azonic Evolution (horizontal dropouts) made a
huge difference on how it manuals and wheelies.

Lee

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm lookin' at Urban riding/Dirt Jump hardtails and was wondering what
is
> > the advantage/disadvantage to having horizontal vs vertical dropouts on
> the
> > rear? The Norco 5Hun really has caught my eye.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Horizontal dropouts will allow you to fine tune the chainstay length by about an inch, which could
> be useful, especially if you run it
singlespeed.
> But if you're going that way, then can I interest you in:
> <http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/bike_check/article/0,15737,429610,00.html>
>
> OTOH horizontal dropouts can be a pain in the ass when used with QR
skewers.
> I had problems were I couldn't clamp them down hard enough to stop the
wheel
> from twisting, until I bought a hub which uses bolts instead. Also they
are
> a bit of a pain to change the wheel, got to align them up just right etc.
>
> Steve E.

Chain tensioners for BMX bikes will also solve the wheel sliding problem.

Lee

Lee Bower wrote:
> "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>adjustment.
>>
>>>Of course. However, you're only likely to have an effective 1" range of adjustment, and on a
>>>'jump' mountain bike, this is in comparison to a 41-43" wheelbase. Chances are, it's not going to
>>>make much difference.
>>>

>>I disagree, an inch of adjustment will make a noticeable difference on how easy the bike manuals,
>>hops etc. I would rate chainstay length as one of
>
> the
>
>>most imnportant features on any bike I was buying.
>

> I second that! Moving my rear wheel 1/4" forward on my Azonic Evolution (horizontal dropouts) made
> a huge difference on how it manuals and wheelies.

Yes, the placebo effect is very strong.

Greg