Q: Knees clicking

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Antti Aalto, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Antti Aalto

    Antti Aalto Guest

    hi,

    I've been riding actively for some two years now (I'm 22) but I've only been using clipless pedals
    for a bit more than six months now. I've managed to adjust the pedals and possibly my pedaling so
    that I'm not getting any knee pain anymore, e.g. three to four hour trips on my mountain bike don't
    seem to be getting on my knees. I mainly ride easy trails and road.

    The actual question is that I _believe_ my knees are clicking more now that I've started with the
    SPD's. The kind of clicking noise that I get mostly appears when I bend down only slightly bending
    my knees, sort of touch my toes. This might sound silly and I might just be more aware of the sounds
    etc. but I just wanted to ask in case other people have had the same kind of experience. Is this
    just related to possibly using my joints more?

    All the best

    antti

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "antti aalto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi,
    >
    > I've been riding actively for some two years now (I'm 22) but I've only been using clipless pedals
    > for a bit more than six months now. I've managed to adjust the pedals and possibly my pedaling so
    > that I'm not getting any knee pain anymore, e.g. three to four hour trips on my mountain bike
    > don't seem to be getting on my knees. I mainly ride easy trails and road.
    >
    > The actual question is that I _believe_ my knees are clicking more now that I've started with the
    > SPD's. The kind of clicking noise that I get mostly appears when I bend down only slightly bending
    > my knees, sort of touch my toes. This might sound silly and I might just be more aware of the
    > sounds etc. but I just wanted to ask in case other people have had the same kind of experience. Is
    > this just related to possibly using my joints more?
    >

    > All the best
    >
    > antti

    Nothing a bit of WD40 won't sort out :)

    I'll get me coat!

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    antti aalto <[email protected]> writes:

    > hi,
    >
    > I've been riding actively for some two years now (I'm 22) but I've only been using clipless pedals
    > for a bit more than six months now. I've managed to adjust the pedals and possibly my pedaling so
    > that I'm not getting any knee pain anymore, e.g. three to four hour trips on my mountain bike
    > don't seem to be getting on my knees. I mainly ride easy trails and road.
    >
    > The actual question is that I _believe_ my knees are clicking more now that I've started with the
    > SPD's. The kind of clicking noise that I get mostly appears when I bend down only slightly bending
    > my knees, sort of touch my toes. This might sound silly and I might just be more aware of the
    > sounds etc. but I just wanted to ask in case other people have had the same kind of experience. Is
    > this just related to possibly using my joints more?

    If your knees are hurting there's something wrong. Possibly it's the placement of your cleats;
    possibly your cleats haven't enough float; or possibly your anatomy is wrong for cleats and you
    shouldn't use them at all. It is not normal for your knees (or anything else) to hurt either while
    or after cycling. Obviously when you sprint or climb hills you get lactic acid buildup in your leg
    muscles and that hurts a bit until your circulation has flushed it out again, but if some particular
    joint or muscle is giving you pain that's your body telling you you are taking damage and you'd
    better stop before the damage gets serious.

    I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting me down. I think I'll
    upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're
    crawling with bugs.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    : If your knees are hurting there's something wrong.

    The OP said "clicking". This doesn't imply hurting.

    I took my clicking knees to the quack. He listened carefully to them though stethoscope, said there
    wasn't any sign of arthritis, diagonised "You're just a clicky person" and sent me home again.

    My joints have always done this and it causes no pain at all.

    Cycling for me makes it better not worse.

    To the OP - I would be careful that your saddle is not too high and that your cleats are set at the
    right angle for you (this is probably not straight). Either of these things makes my knees worse.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > My joints have always done this and it causes no pain at all.

    Same here, knees, hips & thumb joints all click a fair bit, but no pain.

  6. Antti Aalto

    Antti Aalto Guest

    On 20 Oct 2003 09:43:44 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I took my clicking knees to the quack. He listened carefully to them though stethoscope, said there
    >wasn't any sign of arthritis, diagonised "You're just a clicky person" and sent me home again.

    >To the OP - I would be careful that your saddle is not too high and that your cleats are set at the
    >right angle for you (this is probably not straight). Either of these things makes my knees worse.

    Just the kind of comments I wanted to read :D I was a bit unclear in my first post, and meant to say
    three to four hour rides don't cause pain in my knees. It's just the clicking. I wanted to check if
    someone's got an idea of how directly the clicking would be related to faster knee wear or similar.
    So now I'm perfectly content with just being a bit clicky.

    all the best

    antti