Q: Need help deciding on a bicycle

Clinton M James

Guest
hey guys,

I am not after some space-age titanium fuel injected bicycle that can
withstand re-entry into earth.

I have my sights set on a Dunlop or Slazenger bicycle and was wondering if
anybody knew of any major differences between the two?

The Dunlop I am more in favour with because i love the "susepnsion frame"
where the frame below the seat just is suspended over the other part of the
frame.

Is anybody knowledgable of this being a better system?

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Clint

"Clinton M James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey guys,
>
> I am not after some space-age titanium fuel injected bicycle that can
> withstand re-entry into earth.
>
> I have my sights set on a Dunlop or Slazenger bicycle and was wondering if
> anybody knew of any major differences between the two?
>
> The Dunlop I am more in favour with because i love the "susepnsion frame"
> where the frame below the seat just is suspended over the other part of

the
> frame.
>
> Is anybody knowledgable of this being a better system?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards,
> Clint

It really depends what you're going to use it for. If it's just occasional
recreational riding and you don't think it'll still be in use this time next
year, get whatever appeals to you. If you're thinking of getting some
regular exercise or trying commuting, it's a bit different. If you're going
to be riding on paved surfaces, you don't want suspension, ESPECIALLY on a
cheap bike. it's heavy, presents more points of failure, soaks up the energy
you're trying to put into pedalling and serves no function. A hybrid bike,
that is, one with skinny tyres, light frame and road gearing but a more
relaxed seating position than an outright road bike would probably be a good
thing to look at. Look at quality 2nd hand rather than cheap crappy new if
something like a new Giant or Trek freaks you out pricewise. Dunlop and
Slazenger are both competent, reputable companies, but they're not bicycle
manufacturers. Get a bike made by someone who focusses on making bicycles.
Get a good bike and you're far more likely to keep cycling because it'll be
a great deal more pleasurable.

hi,

my 2c worth.

have a look at the bikes at the local tip or council cleanup there you will
see legions of these discount store specials.

do yourself a favour (sorry molly ) and go to your LBS (Local bike shop)
they will be able to sell you something that lasts more than 1 winter.......

I believe there was a recall not so long ago for these type bikes due to the
front suspension collapsing !!! Not a good start !..

"Clinton M James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey guys,
>
> I am not after some space-age titanium fuel injected bicycle that can
> withstand re-entry into earth.
>
> I have my sights set on a Dunlop or Slazenger bicycle and was wondering if
> anybody knew of any major differences between the two?
>
> The Dunlop I am more in favour with because i love the "susepnsion frame"
> where the frame below the seat just is suspended over the other part of

the
> frame.
>
> Is anybody knowledgable of this being a better system?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards,
> Clint

"Clinton M James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey guys,
>
> I am not after some space-age titanium fuel injected bicycle that can
> withstand re-entry into earth.
>
> I have my sights set on a Dunlop or Slazenger bicycle and was wondering if
> anybody knew of any major differences between the two?
>
> The Dunlop I am more in favour with because i love the "susepnsion frame"
> where the frame below the seat just is suspended over the other part of
> the frame.
>
> Is anybody knowledgable of this being a better system?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards,
> Clint

Clint,

Was having a look through ebay and thought of your ask for help when i seen
this bike. This bike will be far better than the Dunlop & Slazenger bikes
your were asking about for around the same money and they have a very good
warranty.Raleigh bikes are a pretty good brand that have been around for
ages and deal mainly in Bikes so you'll have peace of mind about the brand.

Click on to this link or copy and paste to your address bar and hopefully
it'll show you the bike in reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7297&item=7141354496&rd=1

Hope you have success

DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:6%[email protected]...

> Was having a look through ebay and thought of your ask for help when i

seen
> this bike. This bike will be far better than the Dunlop & Slazenger bikes
> your were asking about for around the same money and they have a very good
> warranty.Raleigh bikes are a pretty good brand that have been around for
> ages and deal mainly in Bikes so you'll have peace of mind about the

brand.

> Click on to this link or copy and paste to your address bar and hopefully
> it'll show you the bike in reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7297&item=7141354496&rd=1

On checking this out it looks quite OK as a basic, low cost entry-level
bike. However don't be fooled by the stated value of $750. Apart from the
front suspension, which is a pretty basic model, this bike is very similar
in terms of frame materials and components to my kids' bikes, Giant
Boulders, that we bought a few years ago for $399. So be sure not to overbid
on it. As you can't hold it, size it or ride it beforehand there is an
element of risk that should set the price even lower - I'd say $300 max.
plus freight.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7297&item=7141354496&rd=1

On checking this out it looks quite OK as a basic, low cost entry-level
bike. However don't be fooled by the stated value of $750. Apart from the
front suspension, which is a pretty basic model, this bike is very similar
in terms of frame materials and components to my kids' bikes, Giant
Boulders, that we bought a few years ago for $399. So be sure not to overbid
on it. As you can't hold it, size it or ride it beforehand there is an
element of risk that should set the price even lower - I'd say $300 max.
plus freight.

Cheers
Peter

I second Peters comment. These bikes are only a small step up from the real cheapies. OK if you only plan on infrequent short recreation rides, ie nice weather let's go for a ride. Repeat on each sunny Sunday that you don't go to the footy.

My usual advise for new bike buyers; think of how much you would spend on a bike & double it, or at least add 50%.

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:6%[email protected]...
>
>> Was having a look through ebay and thought of your ask for help when i

> seen
>> this bike. This bike will be far better than the Dunlop & Slazenger bikes
>> your were asking about for around the same money and they have a very
>> good
>> warranty.Raleigh bikes are a pretty good brand that have been around for
>> ages and deal mainly in Bikes so you'll have peace of mind about the

> brand.
>>
>> Click on to this link or copy and paste to your address bar and hopefully
>> it'll show you the bike in reference.
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7297&item=7141354496&rd=1
>
> On checking this out it looks quite OK as a basic, low cost entry-level
> bike. However don't be fooled by the stated value of $750. Apart from the
> front suspension, which is a pretty basic model, this bike is very similar
> in terms of frame materials and components to my kids' bikes, Giant
> Boulders, that we bought a few years ago for $399. So be sure not to
> overbid
> on it. As you can't hold it, size it or ride it beforehand there is an
> element of risk that should set the price even lower - I'd say $300 max.
> plus freight.
>
> Cheers
> Peter
>
>I can see your point Pete but Clint was after a simple kind of bike so he
>may be on a lowish kind of budget (sorry if I'm wrong here) and so that's
>why when i seen this Raleigh bike i thought it would have to be a better
>bike than what he was looking for and proably around the same price.

It was noted that the Raleigh had a reasonable warranty, if that's to be
trusted.
Beats me why they blanked out al in Raleigh (in the advert pics)when it hits
you in the face as soon as you look at it...don't they think we've never
heard of Raleigh bikes before, they've been around a long time.
After reading Clint's criteria again, i noticed he mentioned suspension
frame which I s'pose he'd be meaning those front & rear suspended models,
Clint, if you're reading this, forget the full suspension models, the rear
shocks are not real good, nor are the pivot points in the frames, if you
want to go this way then look up and over the $1,000 mark. Rear suspension
do tend to absord lots of pedal power compared to a solid rear frame.
I will hand it over to some of the other guys who have more knowledge of
these bikes than I but with the names of the bike makes your were referring
to leave a lot to be desired....like everything in life i guess.....you gets
what you pay for!!

DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >I can see your point Pete but Clint was after a simple kind of bike so he
> >may be on a lowish kind of budget (sorry if I'm wrong here) and so that's
> >why when i seen this Raleigh bike i thought it would have to be a better
> >bike than what he was looking for and proably around the same price.

Yes, I took that on board. My concern was that this shop lists the Raleigh
as having a normal RRP of $750. All I wanted to point out to Clint and
anyone else is that this is grossly overpriced for a bike that would really
sell for no more than $400 new in a LBS

> It was noted that the Raleigh had a reasonable warranty, if that's to be
> trusted.
> Beats me why they blanked out al in Raleigh (in the advert pics)when it

hits
> you in the face as soon as you look at it...don't they think we've never
> heard of Raleigh bikes before, they've been around a long time.

Yeah, that seemed pretty pointless to me too. Maybe the tinks Raleigh's
local dealer will go him for advertising their bikes when he's not a dealer.

> After reading Clint's criteria again, i noticed he mentioned suspension
> frame which I s'pose he'd be meaning those front & rear suspended models,
> Clint, if you're reading this, forget the full suspension models, the rear
> shocks are not real good, nor are the pivot points in the frames, if you
> want to go this way then look up and over the $1,000 mark. Rear suspension
> do tend to absord lots of pedal power compared to a solid rear frame.

Rear suspension (and to some extent front suspension) on budget level bikes
are a total waste of time. You really don't need it to ride the bike paths,
we all learned to ride and rode happily for many years without suspension,
and on cheap bikes the suspension is heavy, works poorly and is prone to
failure. Do without and have a calmer life.

Cheers
Peter