Q: old helmet straps

Toobdood

Guest
I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell replacement straps, or
am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks...

toobdood <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell replacement straps,
> or am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks...

New helmet time.

The protectiveness of helmets degrades quite fast, you should replace your helmet every couple of
years as a matter of course, and immediately if you drop it from around saddle height, even if it
does not look damaged.

fragg - I don't work for a helmet manufacturer ;)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:44:35 +0000, Fraggle wrote:

> The protectiveness of helmets degrades quite fast, you should replace your helmet every couple of
> years as a matter of course, and immediately if you drop it from around saddle height, even if it
> does not look damaged.
>

> fragg - I don't work for a helmet manufacturer ;)

But you might as well. Dropped from saddle height? I don't trust my head to something that will fall
apart when dropped from 4 feet! What do you think those foam hats are made out of, glass? Toss it in
the back of a car, and you should replace it, by that reasoning.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

In article <[email protected]>, toobdood <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell replacement straps,
>or am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks...

Bulk webbing and replacement buckles are generally to be found at camping/outdoor type stores, and
some fabric stores.

--Paul

toobdood x 2 wrote << I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell
replacement straps, or am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks.. >>

If it could be fixed the Bell will provide more protection than a modern helmet, because it is a
true hard shell helmet as opposed to a layer of styrofoam covered with a paper-thin sheet of
plastic. The new helmets are not really an improvement over the old style in terms of safety, but
they're lighter and racier and they sell a lot more helmets now.

Robert

19 Aug 2003 06:34:20 GMT,
<[email protected]>, [email protected] (R15757) wrote, in part:

>The new helmets are not really an improvement over the old style in terms of safety, but they're
>lighter and racier and they sell a lot more helmets now.
>
>Robert

My new mutt is a hard shell. I drop it. I wear it. It sits in the rain. The street style BMX type
pot holds up well to daily use.

I can buy barely worn Bell V1 Pro helmets from garage sales and thrift store or less than the cost
of new webbing. New pads are easy to fit.
--
zk

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Fraggle <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xns93DC11C9146F5Fragglerock1 @195.129.110.200:
> > The protectiveness of helmets degrades quite fast, you should replace your helmet every couple
> > of years as a matter of course
>
> Do you work for a helmet company?

Check my last post ;)

So here is my explanation, which I cannot back up as google is not providing the goods, so if you
don't believe me fine.

Bike helmets work by crushing air filled polystyrene the hard shell does no cushioning and if the
styrene cracks it has much less power to absorb your heads momentum (I guess because the fragments
of helmet are light and just move out the way)

over a period of years the nature of the material degrade such that cracking is more likely than
crushing, thus the helm is less efficient. Dropping your helm from even a short height is somewhat
likely to start cracks in the styrene, which again will make cracking of the shell more likely
than crushing.

The hard heavy shell has no real protective benefit, which is why they have been removed in more
modern helms.

Helms are cheap and easy to replace, you brain is less so.

As I say believe me or don't. I won't reply again, as there are enough helmet threads on Usenet
as it is ;)

Fragg

"Fraggle" <[email protected]> wrote

> The hard heavy shell has no real protective benefit, which is why they have been removed in more
> modern helms.

Riiight.

Pete

I suggest you contact Bell about this. I have heard, (but have no first hand knowledge), that they
are fairly liberal in replacing helmets.

Ernie

toobdood wrote:

> I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell replacement straps,
> or am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks...

I have the original 1975 Bell helmet and the plastic thingy on each strap broke long ago; I simply
discarded them and tied (using a knot(tm)) a couple of straps from who-knows-where and tie it in a
bow to fasten the helmet. It works fine. The point of a helmet is to keep your head cool by soaking
up sweat (maxipad in forehead position) and shading you from the sun. Wear a baseball cap under it
to keep the bugs out of your hair.

Airflow over the hair is vastly overrated for cooling. You don't need it. You have a thousand square
meters of sweating skin elsewhere. Something like that.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On 19 Aug 2003 00:44:35 GMT, Fraggle <[email protected]> wrote:

>toobdood <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> I've got an old Bell V1 Pro helmet that has some broken straps. Do shops sell replacement straps,
>> or am I going to have to buy a whole new helmet? Thanks...
>>

>New helmet time.

I agree with this conclusion, but I think your reasons are spurious. It's new helmet time simply
because the time and effort required to find and replace broken straps, sewing on the buckles, etc.,
simply isn't worth it. Go to the LBS and buy a $30-40 helmet instead!

Pat

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 19 Aug 2003 06:34:20 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, [email protected] (R15757) wrote, in part:
>>
> I can buy barely worn Bell V1 Pro helmets from garage sales and thrift store or less than the cost
> of new webbing. New pads are easy to fit.

What kind of replacement pads do you use? I tried getting some from Bell a couple of years ago, but
they had moved on to other things...

J. Cohn (another good day to ride in) Honolulu, Hawaii

20 Aug 2003 13:01:10 -0700,
<[email protected]>, [email protected] (J. Cohn) wrote:

>What kind of replacement pads do you use? I tried getting some from Bell a couple of years ago, but
>they had moved on to other things...

I grabbed an assortment of new replacement pads the bike shop was throwing out and cut some to fit.
--
zk

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:

> You have a thousand square meters of sweating skin elsewhere. Something like that.

That would make the OP the equivalent of a sweaty skin sphere 59 feet in diameter, who, assuming he
were solid, would weigh around 84,000 pounds. Quite a spectacle if he could still ride a bike.

Chalo Colina shorter than 59' and lighter than 84k#