(q - pref for keith hobman) boxes for resting barbell on in floor press

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 9, 2005.

  1. I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html

    Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with chipboard?
    I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    wood to buy to build the boxes.

    Tags:

  2. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    > http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    >
    > Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    > The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    chipboard?
    > I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    > wood to buy to build the boxes.

    The same way I built a squat box:

    Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10" tall),
    cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be (mine
    is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using corner
    braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either paint
    the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.

  3. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On 9 Feb 2005 12:12:03 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    >> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    >>
    >> Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    >> The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    >chipboard?
    >> I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    >> wood to buy to build the boxes.

    >The same way I built a squat box:
    >
    >Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10" tall),
    >cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be (mine
    >is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using corner
    >braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either paint
    >the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.

    Or steal a milk crate. :)

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

  4. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Proton Soup wrote:
    > On 9 Feb 2005 12:12:03 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >[email protected] wrote:
    > >> I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    > >> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    > >>
    > >> Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell

    on.
    > >> The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    > >chipboard?
    > >> I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes -

    what
    > >> wood to buy to build the boxes.

    > >The same way I built a squat box:
    > >
    > >Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10" tall),
    > >cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be

    (mine
    > >is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using

    corner
    > >braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either

    paint
    > >the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.

    > Or steal a milk crate. :)

    The plastic ones don't hold up well. I'll take wood any day.

  5. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "elzinator" wrote

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    >> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    >>
    >> Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    >> The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    > chipboard?
    >> I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    >> wood to buy to build the boxes.

    > The same way I built a squat box:
    >
    > Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10" tall),
    > cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be (mine
    > is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using corner
    > braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either paint
    > the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.

    Although that may be good advice for a box to sit on, I wouldn't advise
    anybody tomake a box like that to put weights on. Either use big
    dimensional lumber (2 X 10's or 2 X 12's) or use some plywood with internal
    bracings of two by stock.

    If you put weights onto a box, it has to be strong enough to deal with a
    dropped lift for safety purposes. Make up your box out of plywood. (Do NOT
    use MDF!!) I would recommend at least three quarter inch thick. The
    dimensions would be what would fit you.

    Be sure to leave some room for the bar to travel back and forth. So make the
    box a minimum of four inches longer than what is required to set the weigh
    on it. That way you won't be distracted trying to put the weight down on
    something too narrow.

    When you get the sides and tops of the boxes cut out, then cut some two by
    stock. I would use at least two by fours. place this under the top of the
    box. Nail or screw together. Use construction adhesive as well. The cheapie
    stuff in the caulking tube is much stronger than many comventional adhesives
    and cheaper as well.

    When this is done, you need to do the same with the inside walls of the
    sides of the box. The frame you construct here will actually support the
    weights. Besure to leave space for the other internal support peices. The
    top of the internal side peices should fit under the top support peices.

    Two sides peices will have support peices that will go to the edge. The
    other two sides will have support peices that will be further back to
    accomadate the corner stock. And make sure that the corner of your plywood
    lines up to make the corners as strong as possible.

    It really isn't that difficult. Just figure out the size box that you want.
    Cut the plywood to that size. And reinforce the inside with two by stock.
    That way if you drop a weight, nobody gets hurt. Use lots of threaded nails
    or screws. And construction adhesive. The plywood provide some structural
    strength but is used primarily for bracing.

    Also put some kind of stop on the front and back edge of the top of the
    boxes. This will keep the weights from rolling off.

    I built a bunch of dumbell floor stands from 2 X 12's in various heights.
    They were held together with lag bolts. They were very handy. I installed
    large metal handles on the side of them. That way I could just reach down,
    grab the handles and carry them to where I wanted. Very quick to set up and
    put away.

    Lee Michaels.

  6. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Lee Michaels wrote:
    > "elzinator" wrote

    > > Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10"

    tall),
    > > cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be

    (mine
    > > is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using

    corner
    > > braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either

    paint
    > > the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.
    > >

    > Although that may be good advice for a box to sit on, I wouldn't

    advise
    > anybody tomake a box like that to put weights on. Either use big
    > dimensional lumber (2 X 10's or 2 X 12's) or use some plywood with

    internal
    > bracings of two by stock.

    Dude, I DID use 2x stock! Whatta ya think, I'm stoopid?
    ;)

  7. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "elzinator" calmly ranted

    > Lee Michaels wrote:
    >> "elzinator" wrote

    >> > Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10"

    > tall),
    >> > cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be

    > (mine
    >> > is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using

    > corner
    >> > braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either

    > paint
    >> > the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.
    >> >

    >> Although that may be good advice for a box to sit on, I wouldn't

    > advise
    >> anybody to make a box like that to put weights on. Either use big
    >> dimensional lumber (2 X 10's or 2 X 12's) or use some plywood with

    > internal
    >> bracings of two by stock.

    > Dude, I DID use 2x stock! Whatta ya think, I'm stoopid?
    > ;)

    Easy there Elzi!

    I should point out two things.

    First, even if you used two by stock, you did NOT mention that in your post.
    Thereby giving the impression that a big, bad weight box could be made from
    sissy materials.

    The second thing I should point out is that you have a reputation of being a
    sissy, girly girl here. And I wanted to express the instuctions in a way
    that a manly man could properly interpert them.

    <silly grin>

    <running and hiding>

  8. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    > http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    >
    > Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    > The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with chipboard?
    > I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    > wood to buy to build the boxes.

    I do the real easy thing. I buy 2x4 studs. I cut them into 15" length (6
    per stud). I do a stack by alternating the studs till I get my desired
    height. Then I place 4 of them across the top with even spacing.

  9. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On 9 Feb 2005 13:01:44 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Proton Soup wrote:
    >> On 9 Feb 2005 12:12:03 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >on.
    >> >chipboard?

    >what
    >> >
    >> >The same way I built a squat box:
    >> >
    >> >Buy lumber with the height of the box you want (my box is 10" tall),
    >> >cut it, or have it cut, to the dimensions you want the box to be

    >(mine
    >> >is 12"x12"x10" high). Screw the ends together and I advise using

    >corner
    >> >braces on the insides for stability and strength. You can either

    >paint
    >> >the top as is, glue a mat, or do whatever. Very simple and cheap.

    >> Or steal a milk crate. :)

    >The plastic ones don't hold up well. I'll take wood any day.

    If you're thinking about those dinky little storage boxes you buy at
    the dollar store that look like milk crates, then I'd agree. But
    years ago, when I worked in the grocery store, we had these really
    thick ones that looked like they were probably molded out of recycled
    plastic. There were also some metal ones made out of welded wire, but
    I honestly think the heavy plastic ones were better.

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

  10. ATP*

    ATP* Guest

  11. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:06:58 -0600, Proton Soup wrote:
    >On 9 Feb 2005 13:01:44 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Proton Soup wrote:

    >>on.

    >>what

    >>(mine

    >>corner

    >>paint
    >>>
    >>> Or steal a milk crate. :)

    >>The plastic ones don't hold up well. I'll take wood any day.

    >If you're thinking about those dinky little storage boxes you buy at
    >the dollar store that look like milk crates, then I'd agree. But
    >years ago, when I worked in the grocery store, we had these really
    >thick ones that looked like they were probably molded out of recycled
    >plastic. There were also some metal ones made out of welded wire, but
    >I honestly think the heavy plastic ones were better.

    Dood, you're dating yourself.... :)

    ------------------------------
    Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

  12. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:40:04 -0600, elzinator
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:06:58 -0600, Proton Soup wrote:
    >>On 9 Feb 2005 13:01:44 -0800, "elzinator" <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:

    >>>on.
    >>>what

    >>>(mine
    >>>corner
    >>>paint

    >>>The plastic ones don't hold up well. I'll take wood any day.

    >>If you're thinking about those dinky little storage boxes you buy at
    >>the dollar store that look like milk crates, then I'd agree. But
    >>years ago, when I worked in the grocery store, we had these really
    >>thick ones that looked like they were probably molded out of recycled
    >>plastic. There were also some metal ones made out of welded wire, but
    >>I honestly think the heavy plastic ones were better.

    >Dood, you're dating yourself.... :)

    Ja, twas nearly two decades ago...

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

  13. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote
    > elzinator <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Proton Soup wrote:

    >>>If you're thinking about those dinky little storage boxes you buy at
    >>>the dollar store that look like milk crates, then I'd agree. But
    >>>years ago, when I worked in the grocery store, we had these really
    >>>thick ones that looked like they were probably molded out of recycled
    >>>plastic. There were also some metal ones made out of welded wire, but
    >>>I honestly think the heavy plastic ones were better.

    >>Dood, you're dating yourself.... :)

    > Ja, twas nearly two decades ago...

    Ask any old rockclimbers from the 60's and 70's about those indestructible
    milk crates. We "borrowed" them in large numbers and lived out of them from
    our cars. Still have a bunch of them. Them and the cockroaches would survive
    a nuclear war.

    David

  14. Hobbes wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    > > http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    > >
    > > Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell

    on.
    > > The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    chipboard?
    > > I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes -

    what
    > > wood to buy to build the boxes.

    > I do the real easy thing. I buy 2x4 studs. I cut them into 15" length

    (6
    > per stud). I do a stack by alternating the studs till I get my

    desired
    > height. Then I place 4 of them across the top with even spacing.

    I just called my local huge DIY store(homebase). I thought I was lucky
    to get an american answering, but he didn't know what a stud was, he
    said they didn't have any more, then I asked him the price, and he hung
    up.

    I'm gonna have to buy it without saying 2x4 or stud.
    So, i'm looking planks of wood 1.5"(deep) x 3.5"(width) x 8ft (length)
    and i'll cut each into 6 15" planks. I get that.
    But, what type of wood should I (/should I not) ask for? and what to
    hold them together(any particular glue or type of fastener)?

    I am thinking of doing this raised off the floor, so that my elbows can
    go below my body (barbell down to chest) so I can get a fuller
    movement. To do this, I am also considering using a bad quality bench
    I already have minus rubbish barbell retainers(using the stacks to rest
    the barbell on) to give the benefit of allowing me to lower the elbows,
    and the benefit of the incline BP. Would it get way too expensive or
    unsuitable raising the stack high? (i'll put little wooden feet on
    them of course - to stop them tipping)

    thanks

  15. thanks the info. The only term my DIY store knows is wood. When you
    say 'two by stock' do you mean a plank 2" deep, about 4" wide, and
    their length would be almost the width of the box - to go from one side
    of the box to the other.

    What type of wood for the 'two by stock'?

    If i screw lumber wood together would I need no 'internal bracing'?

  16. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hobbes wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > > I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    > > > http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    > > >
    > > > Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell

    > on.
    > > > The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with

    > chipboard?
    > > > I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes -

    > what
    > > > wood to buy to build the boxes.

    > > I do the real easy thing. I buy 2x4 studs. I cut them into 15" length

    > (6
    > > per stud). I do a stack by alternating the studs till I get my

    > desired
    > > height. Then I place 4 of them across the top with even spacing.

    > I just called my local huge DIY store(homebase). I thought I was lucky
    > to get an american answering, but he didn't know what a stud was, he
    > said they didn't have any more, then I asked him the price, and he hung
    > up.
    >
    > I'm gonna have to buy it without saying 2x4 or stud.
    > So, i'm looking planks of wood 1.5"(deep) x 3.5"(width) x 8ft (length)
    > and i'll cut each into 6 15" planks. I get that.
    > But, what type of wood should I (/should I not) ask for? and what to
    > hold them together(any particular glue or type of fastener)?

    I use screws, but that is just me.

    > I am thinking of doing this raised off the floor, so that my elbows can
    > go below my body (barbell down to chest) so I can get a fuller
    > movement. To do this, I am also considering using a bad quality bench
    > I already have minus rubbish barbell retainers(using the stacks to rest
    > the barbell on) to give the benefit of allowing me to lower the elbows,
    > and the benefit of the incline BP. Would it get way too expensive or
    > unsuitable raising the stack high? (i'll put little wooden feet on
    > them of course - to stop them tipping)

    You may want to place them against a wall if you are leaning a pad on
    them. I haven't tried this.

    --
    Keith

  17. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > thanks the info. The only term my DIY store knows is wood. When you
    > say 'two by stock' do you mean a plank 2" deep, about 4" wide, and
    > their length would be almost the width of the box - to go from one side
    > of the box to the other.
    >
    > What type of wood for the 'two by stock'?
    >
    > If i screw lumber wood together would I need no 'internal bracing'?

    No bracing needed.

    Spruce is fine.

    --
    Keith

  18. ATP*

    ATP* Guest

    "Usenet Posting" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:45:47 -0500, "ATP*" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>I want to do the barbell floor press keith mentioned 6 months ago
    >>> http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/floorbarbellpress.html
    >>>
    >>> Like that picture, except I want to use boxes to rest the barbell on.
    >>> The prob is, where would I get boxes? Do I build them with chipboard?
    >>> I have no idea where to get crates. Or if building the boxes - what
    >>> wood to buy to build the boxes.

    >>Trust only steel...
    >>

    > Conan?

    Fred Norris's impression of Conan. But seriously, steel is usually better
    when weight is involved. In this case wood will suffice, though.