Q? re Shimano CRANKS. Can I run 10 spd rings/chain on 9spd cranks?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
Is this a cheap/cheats way to have a 10 speed set up? Or will it not work? Will the spacing between the chainrings drop/derail the chain etc?
Advice & ideas welcomed
Cheers, Paul :)

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
Is this a cheap/cheats way to have a 10 speed set up? Or will it not work? Will the spacing between the chainrings drop/derail the chain etc?
Advice & ideas welcomed
Cheers, Paul :)

Why bother? You can run a 10 speed drivetrain with 9 speed cranks and rings. I've done it on a couple of bikes no problem.

The only bits that "must be 10 speed" are, the RH shifter, the rear cassette, and the chain. :) For the rest, 9 speed is fine.

I suppose it is of no suprise that shimanos combatibility chart suggests this Q is a no go. Liability & commercial interests to name a couple reasons. Sometimes the real proof is in the pudding.[/QUOTE]

Course they nix the idea. They want to sell you those fancy (and expensive) outboard bearing cranks! Gosh forbid someone keeps using their perfectly good Ultegra 6500s.

Should work as suggested above...but the 10 speed chain may have trouble making the jump on the 9 speed spacing since its narrower...the chain grabs the little ramps on the chain rings allowing it to shift up and down.

It wont be a perfect set up but should work... why do you want 10 speeds anyway...you could just swap your big or little cog for the next size and have the same effect. I have 10 speed ultegra and only use 3 or 4 of them...