Q: Reebok spinning cycles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Raptor, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    I'm actually enjoying riding a stationary bike since I started going to spin classes at the gym.
    It's a passable alternative to riding in unsettled or inclement weather. The bikes themselves are
    okay, though I had to get used to their fixed-gear nature.

    When I've cranked the resistance up and am hammering out of the saddle, I swear I feel the bike
    "jam" a little harder under me. The pedaling gets noticeably harder. It sometimes ramps up even
    harder after a second or two. I believe I'm pushing the resistance to near its lock-up point. Are
    there any "experts" on these bikes anywhere? (I imagine maybe they're not subjected to rigorous
    engineering.)

    Or is this a bio thing going on with my muscles? My body/mind playing tricks on me? We are kept
    pretty much at the LT for most of the class by the dominatrix instructors. Gotta love 'em.

  2. Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Or is this a bio thing going on with my muscles? My body/mind playing tricks on me? We are kept
    : pretty much at the LT for most of the class by the dominatrix instructors. Gotta love 'em.

    Err... what's an LT?

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: Or is this a bio thing going on with my muscles? My body/mind playing tricks on me? We are kept
    >: pretty much at the LT for most of the class by the dominatrix instructors. Gotta love 'em.
    >
    >Err... what's an LT?

    I assume Lactate Threshold in this context.

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>: Or is this a bio thing going on with my muscles? My body/mind playing tricks on me? We are kept
    >>: pretty much at the LT for most of the class by the dominatrix instructors. Gotta love 'em.
    >>
    >>Err... what's an LT?
    >
    > I assume Lactate Threshold in this context.

    Right. I'm going to start teaching my own classes soon (getting certified in May). I wonder if I'll
    be able to give my classes the same ugly workout I give myself.

    Anyway, my actual question, implied, is, could this perceived tightening of the resistence be a
    malfunction of the bike? It feels very real, and doesn't match my experience on a real bike.