it work?
--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Peter Fox wrote:
> My rear gear shifter jammed solid the other day, luckily 1/2 mile from a
> decent bike shop. :) In short, I now have a new Shimano shifter with
> 1 cable for brake (OK) 1 cable for rear gears(OK) and an unused cable
> connection as if it is a push version of the gear cable. The
> destructions show this in use but don't explain it. What is this and
> how does it work?

cheap or posh? with the kids stuf you can run a huge dial to show you
the gear you're in, on older xtr you could connect a remote shifter

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:42:43 +0100, Peter Fox
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My rear gear shifter jammed solid the other day, luckily 1/2 mile from a decent bike shop.
> :) In short, I now have a new Shimano shifter with 1 cable for brake (OK) 1 cable for
>rear gears(OK) and an unused cable connection as if it is a push version of the gear
>cable. The destructions show this in use but don't explain it. What is this and how does
>it work?

Perhaps if you gave a hint as to what type of shifter is was it might
help? Model/no/type etc.

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

in article [email protected], Peter Fox at
[email protected] wrote on 31/7/07 08:42:

> My rear gear shifter jammed solid the other day, luckily 1/2 mile from a
> decent bike shop.
> :) In short, I now have a new Shimano shifter with 1 cable for brake (OK)
> 1 cable for
> rear gears(OK) and an unused cable connection as if it is a push version of
> the gear
> cable. The destructions show this in use but don't explain it. What is this
> and how does
> it work?

From your description, I gather it is the connection for the gear cable for
use with a 'low normal' rear mech. i.e. The gear indicator would still show
1 as the biggest cog if you had a rear mech that was designed to return to
the biggest cog when there is no pull on the cable.

Ben

Ben Micklem said the following on 31/07/2007 11:51:

> From your description, I gather it is the connection for the gear cable for
> use with a 'low normal' rear mech. i.e. The gear indicator would still show
> 1 as the biggest cog if you had a rear mech that was designed to return to
> the biggest cog when there is no pull on the cable.

No - a low normal rear mech still has just the one cable - the only
difference is that the cable pull moves the mech towards the small gear
instead of the big. The lever can be exactly the same as for top-normal
and is the setup I have on my MTB - normal LX trigger shifters working a
low-normal mech. It means the thumb trigger moves into a higher gear
instead of lower.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> Ben Micklem said the following on 31/07/2007 11:51:
>
>> From your description, I gather it is the connection for the gear
>> cable for
>> use with a 'low normal' rear mech. i.e. The gear indicator would still
>> show
>> 1 as the biggest cog if you had a rear mech that was designed to
>> return to
>> the biggest cog when there is no pull on the cable.

> No - a low normal rear mech still has just the one cable - the only
> difference is that the cable pull moves the mech towards the small gear
> instead of the big. The lever can be exactly the same as for top-normal
> and is the setup I have on my MTB - normal LX trigger shifters working a
> low-normal mech. It means the thumb trigger moves into a higher gear
> instead of lower.

I have seen rear mechs that had a pull cable for each direction of
movement rather than relying on a spring for one direction. Didn't know
Shimano did them and haven't seen one for ages. But I wonder if that is
what the OP might have been sold.

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> I have seen rear mechs that had a pull cable for each direction of
> movement rather than relying on a spring for one direction. Didn't know
> Shimano did them

Positron, early seventies

--

Tony Raven said the following on 31/07/2007 13:13:

> I have seen rear mechs that had a pull cable for each direction of
> movement rather than relying on a spring for one direction. Didn't know
> Shimano did them and haven't seen one for ages. But I wonder if that is
> what the OP might have been sold.

Ah - it sounds like it - I didn't know that sort of thing existed except
for hub gears (I wonder.... no, can't be!!!) , but unless/until the OP
comes back and elucidates, we'll never know!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in article [email protected], Paul Boyd at
usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote on 31/7/07 13:04:

> Ben Micklem said the following on 31/07/2007 11:51:
>
>> From your description, I gather it is the connection for the gear cable for
>> use with a 'low normal' rear mech. i.e. The gear indicator would still show
>> 1 as the biggest cog if you had a rear mech that was designed to return to
>> the biggest cog when there is no pull on the cable.

> No - a low normal rear mech still has just the one cable - the only
> difference is that the cable pull moves the mech towards the small gear
> instead of the big. The lever can be exactly the same as for top-normal
> and is the setup I have on my MTB - normal LX trigger shifters working a
> low-normal mech. It means the thumb trigger moves into a higher gear
> instead of lower.

Neither I nor the OP were talking about a rear mech. Last time I checked, no
rear mech had a connection to a brake cable. The OP used the term 'shifter'.

I have definitely seen a Shimano brake/gear shifter combo with two gear
cable positions. I know any shifter would work with a low-normal mech, but I
was referring to the numbering on the gear indicator dial- that it would
still show '1' when in the large sprocket when using a low-normal mech
(shifters without this extra connection would show 7 or 8 or 9).

Ben

Ben Micklem said the following on 31/07/2007 14:24:

> Neither I nor the OP were talking about a rear mech. Last time I checked, no
> rear mech had a connection to a brake cable. The OP used the term 'shifter'.

Pardon me for being pedantic, but you yourself said "From your
description, I gather it is the connection for the gear cable for
use with a 'low normal' rear mech." Where on earth do you read that I
thought the mech had the brake cable connection?

--

usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote on 31/7/07 14:35:

> Ben Micklem said the following on 31/07/2007 14:24:
>
>> Neither I nor the OP were talking about a rear mech. Last time I checked, no
>> rear mech had a connection to a brake cable. The OP used the term 'shifter'.

> Pardon me for being pedantic, but you yourself said "From your
> description, I gather it is the connection for the gear cable for
> use with a 'low normal' rear mech."

Having a connection for use with a rear mech suggests that I was not talking
about a rear mech, doesn't it?

> Where on earth do you read that I
> thought the mech had the brake cable connection?

This discussion is not about a rear mech. That is something you have decided
it is about. I was saying that the fact that it has a connection suggests
that it isn't a rear mech.

From the OP:

Ace wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:42:43 +0100, Peter Fox
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My rear gear shifter jammed solid the other day, luckily 1/2 mile from a decent bike shop.
>> :) In short, I now have a new Shimano shifter with 1 cable for brake (OK) 1 cable for
>> rear gears(OK) and an unused cable connection as if it is a push version of the gear
>> cable. The destructions show this in use but don't explain it. What is this and how does
>> it work?

> Perhaps if you gave a hint as to what type of shifter is was it might
> help? Model/no/type etc.

OK. Id expected this to be a generic thing that all the techies knew about.

The markings are:
SHIMANO V-brake 8speed
ST-EF29-8
There's a little dial inside a window.

From the rider's position, the proper gear cable comes out at 8 o'clock and the mystery
cable connection (no cable fitted) is 10 o'clock. (And of course this is mounted on the
right.)

FWIW, I found out why the original jammed: A sheared spring deep in the latching mechanism
- so basically unrepairable and right decision made.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Peter Fox wrote:
> Ace wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:42:43 +0100, Peter Fox
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My rear gear shifter jammed solid the other day, luckily 1/2 mile
>>> from a decent bike shop. :) In short, I now have a new Shimano
>>> shifter with 1 cable for brake (OK) 1 cable for rear gears(OK) and an
>>> unused cable connection as if it is a push version of the gear
>>> cable. The destructions show this in use but don't explain it. What
>>> is this and how does it work?

>> Perhaps if you gave a hint as to what type of shifter is was it might
>> help? Model/no/type etc.
>>

> OK. Id expected this to be a generic thing that all the techies knew
> about.
>
> The markings are:
> SHIMANO V-brake 8speed
> ST-EF29-8
> There's a little dial inside a window.
>
> From the rider's position, the proper gear cable comes out at 8 o'clock
> and the mystery cable connection (no cable fitted) is 10 o'clock. (And
> of course this is mounted on the right.)

cheap shifter, with the CI deck option. Ignore it if you can live
without a huge plastic dashboard on your bicycle;)
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:01:52 +0200, M-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter Fox wrote:
>> Ace wrote:

>>> Perhaps if you gave a hint as to what type of shifter is was it might
>>> help? Model/no/type etc.

>> The markings are:
>> SHIMANO V-brake 8speed
>> ST-EF29-8

>cheap shifter, with the CI deck option. Ignore it if you can live
>without a huge plastic dashboard on your bicycle;)

To clarify for the OP, the extra cable would drive a central gear
position display. Why you'd need one I don't know - many modern MTB
shifters don't even bother to put numbers on the displays, and I
personally never look at them anyway.

--

Ace <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:01:52 +0200, M-gineering
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Peter Fox wrote:

> >> The markings are:
> >> SHIMANO V-brake 8speed
> >> ST-EF29-8

> >cheap shifter, with the CI deck option. Ignore it if you can live
> >without a huge plastic dashboard on your bicycle;)

> To clarify for the OP, the extra cable would drive a central gear
> position display. Why you'd need one I don't know - many modern MTB
> shifters don't even bother to put numbers on the displays, and I
> personally never look at them anyway.

my new bike which is numberless works in the other way to my old one
thus with out numbers it's very easy to select the wrong gear, so i put
H or L on the leavers as otherwise it drives me potty.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Ace wrote:

> To clarify for the OP, the extra cable would drive a central gear
> position display. Why you'd need one I don't know - many modern MTB
> shifters don't even bother to put numbers on the displays, and I
> personally never look at them anyway.

You need the numbers to confirm that there really isn't another gear
left to desperately change down to on that hill ;-)

Tony

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:05:02 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Ace wrote:
>>
>> To clarify for the OP, the extra cable would drive a central gear
>> position display. Why you'd need one I don't know - many modern MTB
>> shifters don't even bother to put numbers on the displays, and I
>> personally never look at them anyway.
>>

>You need the numbers to confirm that there really isn't another gear
>left to desperately change down to on that hill ;-)

"When grannies go bad".
--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

In article <[email protected]>, M-gineering
[email protected] says...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > I have seen rear mechs that had a pull cable for each direction of
> > movement rather than relying on a spring for one direction. Didn't know
> > Shimano did them

> Positron, early seventies

The only Positron I'm familiar with had a push-pull piano-wire cable,
and no spring in the rear mech.

Ace wrote:
> To clarify for the OP, the extra cable would drive a central gear
> position display. Why you'd need one I don't know - many modern MTB
> shifters don't even bother to put numbers on the displays, and I
> personally never look at them anyway.

Thanks for the explanation.
So about as useful as electric windows on a bike then.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Peter Fox wrote:

> So about as useful as electric windows on a bike then.

I have electric windows on my bike - WindowsMobile 5.0 to be precise.

IGMC

Tony