Q: Spec Allez (08 Triple?), probable derailer complication, possible equip mismatch?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gkoat, Sep 4, 2009.

1. gkoat

gkoat New Member

Hello all,

My first post, and allow me to apologize in advance for my ignorance - I'll try to be as effective at communicating my problem as possible.

My brother recently gave me a bike that he bought no more than two years ago and rode no more than twice. I know it is a Specialized Allez, and I believe it to be the triple model, as it has three (please hold your jokes until the end, it will get better) rings-with-teeth where the pedals meet near the frame. I also believe it to be an 08, as it is black on black, and the black on black models of the 09 lineup look to be more exclusive towards the elite and upper Allez variations.

Earlier today I managed to scrape together what I thought would get me on the road - I purchased a replacement tube and some other necessities I've learned of in my brief time, and set out earlier this evening. Within the first mile, I noticed an annoying clicking noise. Upon inspecting, I realized that the chain was rubbing extensively against the front derailleur. Impressed with my novice yet confident diagnosis, I rode home to google my problem(in my defense, it is about 4 am here). I should note here that the gear shifting was seemingly non-existent for the ride back - and upon returning I discovered that the chain was going from small toothed-disc to small-toothed disc.

Upon finding some pictures and guides, I discovered that, at the least, my derailleur is improperly aligned. Upon confirming this, I became worried that the derailleur itself was inadequate for the otherwise broader set of three toothed-wheels crankshaft(shift?) required by the triple. I will get some pictures when it is lighter outside, and will post for clarification tomorrow, but my main question is this -

Looking at my front set of three teeth-wheels(in case this is still confusing, "teeth-wheels" is what I am using to indicate a set of gear-looking discs with a spike-textured circumference that grips and pulls the chain), I'd guess the total width of the three together is slightly larger (<2mm) than the width of the window of the front derailleur(window meaning the opening within the derailleur in which the chain is positioned). Looking at my back set of teeth-wheels(anywhere between 4 and 8 toothed-discs on the right side of the back wheel), it is at least 1cm wider than the front derailleur.

I realize the front derailleur takes the chain at an angle depending on which gears the bike is in, but do "triples" sometimes require a broader derailleur than their more narrow counterparts? If so, is it possible that my brother simply was sold a bike with a mismatched part?

And perhaps these questions are more easily answered with pictures, but I'm concerned that the derailleur, even after being properly aligned, will continue to cause complications, as it provides a very strict window for a chain that, looking at the bike, would seemingly go everywhere. But if I find out there is no mismatched part, I would almost suspect that the noise and grinding is unavoidable. I know better than this, but if there is anything as crazy as a bike that is supposed to have this grinding, now would be the time to tell me.

Upon reading up on the various 08 Allez models, it seems that they all come with the same front derailleur, a Shimano 31.8mm. My front derailleur does not look like 31.8mm, but I'll be able to get an actual measurement when we get some sun. Is aligning the derailleur something simple enough that I can do without assistance? I don't make much money, and what I do make is already pretty much spent, so I'd really rather perform the repairs myself as opposed to paying someone.

Also, due to ignorance and, well, mainly ignorance, I for some reason was under the impression that shortening the distance of the axel(width of the back tire assembly when removed) was somehow achieved by tightening the lever that clamps the wheel into place. So I stupidly turned the clamp and now it will not clamp, nor budge in either direction. I imagine it's just too tight, but I wanted to mention this to some people with experience before I go out and apply the elbow grease method.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

2. gkoat

gkoat New Member

Got it fixed earlier today, thanks for all the help!

3. gkoat

gkoat New Member

Got it fixed earlier today, thanks for all the help!

4. Akadat

Akadat New Member

I am pleased you got it fixed! Your descriptions were very good in a round-about way.

I'm sure the fix was simply an adjustment of a few little screws?