UK and Europe · Public discussion

Q: Touring / City tyre recommendations?

Started by WibbleWobble · · Last activity · 4 posts · 484 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 February 2007
Last activity
3 February 2007
Original author
WibbleWobble
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
484
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all,
    Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though they
    have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
    What matters is...
    -Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
    -Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
    -Puncture resistance

    Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyres
    are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do wonder if it's
    justifiable?

    Yours in a confused haze, Joe

  2. WibbleWobble said:

    Hello all,
    Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though
    they have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
    What matters is...
    -Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
    -Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
    -Puncture resistance

    Low rolling resistance and high puncture resistance don't really go
    together. Panaracer Pasela* is a good half-way compromise. Narrower than
    37mm would speed you up a bit. You could probably fit 32mm.

    Quoted message said:

    Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid
    Tyres are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do
    wonder if it's justifiable?

    I know the Nimbus EX, but not other Nimbuses and the Randonneur well enough
    to comment.

    * Available in a folding version as well as rigid, if price really is no
    issue. This saves some weight.

    ~PB

  3. I'm on my second winter using 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs, about 4,000
    miles without any problems or punctures and without much sign of
    wear. Look and feel very similar to Top Touring 2000s and IMO more
    comfortable than Marathons. The price for that reliability is the
    weight, I did look it up on the Vittoria website, a bit scary. I
    prefer to swap them for something lighter in the summer, but for
    winter use I'm happy with them.

  4. I have just got a pair of the Vittorias you mention and they seem vg value
    to me but i have only done about 100 miles so far.
    Fitted on a Hewitt Cheviot touring bike. They seem to roll well.

    SW

    "WibbleWobble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,
    Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though they
    have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
    What matters is...
    -Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
    -Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
    -Puncture resistance

    Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyres
    are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do wonder if
    it's justifiable?

    Yours in a confused haze, Joe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.