Q. Wheel-rub headlight generators - remember them?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by George, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Hi,

    What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,

    So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    you're out cycling.

    Any such contraption that anyone knows about?

    George

    Tags:

  2. Sam O'Nella

    Sam O'Nella Guest

    > What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,
    >
    > So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    > you're out cycling.

    The ONLY purpose of those devices was for kids to see how fast they had to
    go in order to blow out the light bulbs. The problem is they consume about
    60% of pedaling power. Ok, it might in reality be slightly less, but it
    sure seemed that way.

    Just put your phone on charge when you get home, FFS.

  3. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    George wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,
    >
    > So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    > you're out cycling.
    >
    > Any such contraption that anyone knows about?

    Sure, lots of 'em. They're called SUVs.

    Bill "rides to get AWAY from that crap" S.

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    George wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,
    >
    > So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    > you're out cycling.

    The way I figure it... if you're in a place where you're riding long enough
    for your cell phone to go dead, you aren't going to have service for it
    anyway.

    Mike - Long Live Long Rides. ;^)

  5. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    > The way I figure it... if you're in a place where you're riding long
    enough
    > for your cell phone to go dead, you aren't going to have service for it
    > anyway.
    >
    > Mike - Long Live Long Rides. ;^)

    Thats a fair point.

  6. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    George wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    >(if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    >produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,
    >
    >So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    >you're out cycling.
    >
    >Any such contraption that anyone knows about?

    Hahahaha....yes I used to have one of those headlights on my bike (Sears
    10 speed road cycle) back in 7th-8th grade, it was classic. DINK! and
    the 2 candlewatt bulb lights, the faster you go the brighter it gets (to
    a limit obviously).

    I'd crack up if I saw a guy on his commuter bike charging his cellphone
    that way, with the headset on while talking at a stoplight on his ride
    to work.

    bri

    --

    * enjoying the karma *
    remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

  7. kimba

    kimba Guest

    George wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > produces headlight power

    Heh- I remember those- I also remember an incident where the generator
    mounted to the front fork loosened, and swung into the front wheel while
    I was travelling at a very high rate of speed...and approaching the
    overpass of a major highway.
    I remember looking at my hands, as I sailed through the air and seeing my
    fingers were not on the brakes so why was I stopping?
    The generator wrapped itself around the fork 3 times... the forks bent
    backwards - popped the spokes, I was lofted into the air...and propelled
    to the hard concrete sidewalk some distance ahead.
    Broke off a piece of bone in my chin that's floating around in there even
    today...
    and- had I been say 15 or 20 feet farther along- I would've been lofted
    right over the overpass onto a 4 lane highway below.

    Yep- them front fork mounted generators-
    them was eeeeeevil things.....

    Kimba
    eeeevil I say

  8. George

    George Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:53:34 -0500, kimba <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >George wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    >> (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    >> produces headlight power

    >Heh- I remember those- I also remember an incident where the generator
    >mounted to the front fork loosened, and swung into the front wheel while
    >I was travelling at a very high rate of speed...and approaching the
    >overpass of a major highway.
    >I remember looking at my hands, as I sailed through the air and seeing my
    >fingers were not on the brakes so why was I stopping?
    >The generator wrapped itself around the fork 3 times... the forks bent
    >backwards - popped the spokes, I was lofted into the air...and propelled

    They say something like this happens, that they happen in slow
    motion, and that the song "Flight of the Valkyres" can be heard.

    Are those two points true?

    >to the hard concrete sidewalk some distance ahead.
    >Broke off a piece of bone in my chin that's floating around in there even
    >today...
    >and- had I been say 15 or 20 feet farther along- I would've been lofted
    >right over the overpass onto a 4 lane highway below.
    >Yep- them front fork mounted generators-
    >them was eeeeeevil things.....
    >
    >Kimba
    >eeeevil I say

  9. George

    George Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:47:34 +0000 (UTC), "Coyoteboy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The way I figure it... if you're in a place where you're riding long

    >enough
    >> for your cell phone to go dead, you aren't going to have service for it
    >> anyway.
    >>
    >> Mike - Long Live Long Rides. ;^)

    >Thats a fair point.

    What would be a fairer point would be to say that old generators were
    old technology, and the original thread in this post was at least an
    attempt to gain some insight on improvements on the device.

    There are some super hi-tech devices, apparently unknown to the
    responders of this thread called capacitors, resistors, diodes, and
    other such devices which could be used as - are you ready? - hang
    onto your saddles now - "voltage regulators" and "batteries", which
    could be used in conjunction with the generator, on which you folks
    seem to have only the negative side.

    By the way, to the cavemen in this thread, cell phones are not the
    only things that have re-chargeable technology.

    Fair?

  10. Try turning off your cell phone sometime like I tell my
    Ol'e lady. Maybe your listen.

  11. Goldmember

    Goldmember Guest

    --
    GM

    "Here I go and I don't know why"
    "George" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > produces headlight power WITH A jack, to plug in a cell phone,
    >
    > So that it charges up a small battery to keep your cell going, when
    > you're out cycling.
    >
    > Any such contraption that anyone knows about?
    >
    > George

    This will work too:

    http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/sidewinder.htm

    --
    GM

    "Here I go and I don't know why"

  12. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    George wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:47:34 +0000 (UTC), "Coyoteboy"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> The way I figure it... if you're in a place where you're riding
    >>> long enough for your cell phone to go dead, you aren't going to
    >>> have service for it anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Mike - Long Live Long Rides. ;^)

    >> Thats a fair point.
    >>

    > What would be a fairer point would be to say that old generators were
    > old technology, and the original thread in this post was at least an
    > attempt to gain some insight on improvements on the device.
    >
    > There are some super hi-tech devices, apparently unknown to the
    > responders of this thread called capacitors, resistors, diodes, and
    > other such devices which could be used as - are you ready? - hang
    > onto your saddles now - "voltage regulators" and "batteries", which
    > could be used in conjunction with the generator, on which you folks
    > seem to have only the negative side.
    >
    > By the way, to the cavemen in this thread, cell phones are not the
    > only things that have re-chargeable technology.
    >
    > Fair?

    Me Ug work on 'lectronics for living. Make good bread...ug. Know what
    micro farad is...ug. Know what TO-220 voltage regulator is...ug. [;^)

    I would suggest this over a generator...

    http://windupradio.com/icp/isun.htm

    I don't know what brick of a cell phone you have but mine lasts for days on
    a single charge. It never occurs to me to recharge it on a ride.

    And yes I have a negative side to taking geegaws on rides. The cell phone
    only extends my leash which I'm on every other week. The PDA, MP3 players
    and other stuff stays home. Heck, I don't even have a bike computer on my
    bike. I ride to get away from that stuff I work on everyday.

    Mike

  13. kimba

    kimba Guest

    George wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:53:34 -0500, kimba <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >George wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    > >> (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    > >> produces headlight power

    > >Heh- I remember those- I also remember an incident where the generator
    > >mounted to the front fork loosened, and swung into the front wheel while
    > >I was travelling at a very high rate of speed...and approaching the
    > >overpass of a major highway.
    > >I remember looking at my hands, as I sailed through the air and seeing my
    > >fingers were not on the brakes so why was I stopping?
    > >The generator wrapped itself around the fork 3 times... the forks bent
    > >backwards - popped the spokes, I was lofted into the air...and propelled

    > They say something like this happens, that they happen in slow
    > motion, and that the song "Flight of the Valkyres" can be heard.
    >
    > Are those two points true?

    Well- I remember wishing I was wearing one of those horny- I mean horned-
    helmets...
    this was pre-helmet years y'know...
    but yeah- the slow-motion thing was definitely true- seemed to take an awfully
    lonnnnng time to land...

    and I'm sure I heard Brunhilde singing loudly as I kissed the pavement...
    though - that could have been the sound of me screaming...

    can never be sure in an instance like this...
    : D

    I am!
    Kimba
    Kill the Wabbit!!!

  14. >George wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What I think would really be cool, is if someone could come up with
    >> (if they haven't already), one of those wheel contact generators that
    >> produces headlight power

    I guess I was a geek long before the age of the personal computer. I can
    remember having on my bike:

    Old 'cable operated' speedometer
    Generator light WITH tailight
    Siren

    I wish I still had the siren. It was something my dad had when he was a kid
    in the late '30s. It was a solid metal unit that mounted on a bracket on
    the fork. When you pulled a chain attached to the handlebars, it pulled a
    shaft that came out the back of the siren against the tire. It sounded
    REALLY cool :) With just a bit of google searching, I found one online:
    http://www.bikeicons.com/Persons Siren.html

    I remember having all three of these items on the bike at the same time.
    Didn't leave too much power for moving the bike forward, but it was the
    coolest bike in the neighborhood. :)