Q: which rear racks would fit this rear geometry?

C.J.Patten

Guest
Howdy folks!

1st, thank you all very much for your input on rear pannier racks.
With your input, I've narrowed my options down quite a bit.

In seat-post racks, a Topeak QR Beam MTX "V" type
http://www.topeak.com/products/rack_001.html because of the angle. (sits low
over wheel)

Option 2 is a rack that attaches entirely to the rear of the bike, behind
the suspension. (also low C.G.)

My dilemma is: what non-seat-post rack would fit my bike's odd geometry?

I've put a photo of all the mounting points available here:
http://www.ncf.ca/~af895/misc/KHS_rack_mounts.jpg

Any thoughts? I'll keep doing my homework but thought someone here may have
mounted a rear rack on a similar setup. Maybe something that "clamps" around
the seat-stays or brake attach points and bolts to the attach points next to
the axle... ? The Axiom Odyssee looks like it would work but I have no idea
how sturdy it is. http://snipurl.com/foyx (no payload data)

Thanks again. Feel free to just post links to websites of products you know
would work. I've book marked a few already. Tubus look great and have huge
payload but they seem to bolt to braze-ons that aren't present on my bike.

C.

in message <[email protected]>, C.J.Patten
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Howdy folks!
>
> 1st, thank you all very much for your input on rear pannier racks.
> With your input, I've narrowed my options down quite a bit.
>
> In seat-post racks, a Topeak QR Beam MTX "V" type
> http://www.topeak.com/products/rack_001.html because of the angle.
> (sits low over wheel)
>
> Option 2 is a rack that attaches entirely to the rear of the bike,
> behind the suspension. (also low C.G.)
>
> My dilemma is: what non-seat-post rack would fit my bike's odd
> geometry?

Old Man Mountain do a number of racks for full suspension bikes which
mount entirely to the rear triangle. They almost certainly won't work
without modification on your setup because of the smaller wheel, but
may well provide some inspiration; they mount to the V brake pillars
and to the rear dropout (2 and 3 on your picture).

I suggest you have a good look at them and then get your hacksaw out.
Needless to say, I'm recommending you modify the rack, /not/ the bike!

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

> Old Man Mountain do a number of racks for full suspension bikes which
> mount entirely to the rear triangle. They almost certainly won't work
> without modification on your setup because of the smaller wheel, but
> may well provide some inspiration; they mount to the V brake pillars
> and to the rear dropout (2 and 3 on your picture).
>
> I suggest you have a good look at them and then get your hacksaw out.
> Needless to say, I'm recommending you modify the rack, /not/ the bike!

LOL! Thanks Simon. I have the OMM site bookmarked now.

Their payload capacity is *impressive.* Can they really hold 60lbs of gear?

The Canadian distributor for the OMM racks is about a 4 hour drive from me
but I'm considering making it so I can try them first-hand on the bike -
they look that good on paper.

Thanks for the suggestion Simon - OMM's my best candidate yet!

Chris

Howdy again folks!

I found a rear rack that I hope will last me quite some time.

It's similar to a OMM RedRock but was in-stock locally (OMM special order
only) and seems to be quite sturdy. It's a Voyager Explorack mounted to the
two accessory eyelets adjacent the rear axle and one hard-point at the
wishbone junction just at the rear shock.

I took some photos and put them online - here they are:
http://www.ncf.ca/~af895/misc/rack.jpg

There's a lot of space between tire and rack. I'll ride with it like this
for now but may cut it down later to lower the C.G. (though that presents
it's own challenges... I don't have a TIG welder ;)

Thank for all the help!
Chris