Q1) Squeaky SPD's Shimano 520's

PUSHERBOT

Guest
I've got Shimano M520s fitted to my MTB. THey work fine, the only
problem is they squeak annoyingly. Lubrication fixes the problem for a
short while (e.g. 1 or 2 rides) , but causes a little foot-slippage
when clipping in, which I can live with.

So my questions are:

1) What's best to lubricate the pedals, I've tried GT45 and a waxy
style chain lube. Is old fashioned grease the way to go or will it
just pick up too much road ****?
2) Where to lubricate - just the springs? The insides of the plates?
3) Are they too loose?- I've got them at minimal tension which works
fine for me.

PUSHERBOT wrote on 21/08/2006 20:17 +0100:
> I've got Shimano M520s fitted to my MTB. THey work fine, the only
> problem is they squeak annoyingly. Lubrication fixes the problem for a
> short while (e.g. 1 or 2 rides) , but causes a little foot-slippage
> when clipping in, which I can live with.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) What's best to lubricate the pedals, I've tried GT45 and a waxy
> style chain lube. Is old fashioned grease the way to go or will it
> just pick up too much road ****?
> 2) Where to lubricate - just the springs? The insides of the plates?
> 3) Are they too loose?- I've got them at minimal tension which works
> fine for me.

IME its usually not the pedal but the rubber of the shoe sole squirming
against the pedal body that does the squeaking. Have a look at how the
sole and pedal connect and if necessary do some Stanley knife surgery.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

PUSHERBOT wrote:
> I've got Shimano M520s fitted to my MTB. THey work fine, the only
> problem is they squeak annoyingly. Lubrication fixes the problem for a
> short while (e.g. 1 or 2 rides) , but causes a little foot-slippage
> when clipping in, which I can live with.

my 519s squeak sometimes and I can control this by twisting my feet
slightly . Not sure if it is the tension from pushing against the
release mechanism or just the change in orientation of cleat wrt pedal.
Could be worth adjusting your cleats by a degree or two

best wishes
james

I'll give the Stanley knife a go first - I can't be dealing with
moving my cleats again if I don't have to.