Qantas?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Woods, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.

    I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each additional
    kg is £29.

    Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

    --
    Richard

    Tags:

  2. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    Depends entirely on the mood of the person at check in. They may or may not decide to let a few
    extra kilos slide. You may be better to seafreight out if you can do without the bike for a while.
    To be fair on them - it is an awfully long way to carry any extra weight in the hold.

    Enjoy cycling Aus !

    "Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
    >
    > I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
    including
    > a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
    >
    > Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

  3. "Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
    >
    > I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
    including
    > a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
    >
    > Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?
    >

    > --
    > Richard

    Are you travelling alone? Because if you're not it would be quite legitimate to share someone else's
    allowance by persuading them to take less. Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage. Otherwise
    you are left to the discretion of the check-in staff, who are inclined to be understanding regarding
    small transgressions. But no guarantees! If you're really taking a lot of gear you may want to
    airfreight some of it separately. It should be cheaper than the excess baggage rate. You might want
    to travel with the bike yourself and freight your other gear. I don't have any personal experience
    of flying with a bike though so take other advice.

    Michael MacClancy

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
    >>
    >> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
    >including
    >> a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
    >>
    >> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?
    >>
    >Are you travelling alone? Because if you're not it would be quite legitimate to share someone
    >else's allowance by persuading them to take less. Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.
    >Otherwise you are left to the discretion of the check-in staff, who are inclined to be
    >understanding regarding small transgressions. But no guarantees! If you're really taking a lot of
    >gear you may want to airfreight some of it separately. It should be cheaper than the excess baggage
    >rate. You might want to travel with the bike yourself and freight your other gear. I don't have any
    >personal experience of flying with a bike though so take other advice.

    And fill your pockets! I've always wondered if they'd get picky if you go though with *loads* of
    (ideally non-metallic) stuff on your person. With the right garment(s) I'm sure you could get a good
    few kilos through like this. Anyone tried it?

    ttfn

    Martin

    --
    "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe
    together ..." - Carl Zwanzig

    Martin Harlow [email protected]

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Woods <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
    >
    > I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each
    > additional kg is £29.
    >
    > Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

    Yes and so do BA on that route although most of their other long haul routes they class a bicycle as
    one piece of luggage. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_

    If someone is seeing you off at the airport you could alway try it on at check in and in the extreme
    get it taken back home.

    Tony

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.

    Limited to 5-6kg these days and they are very picky about how much and whats in it.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Martin Harlow <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And fill your pockets! I've always wondered if they'd get picky if you go though with *loads* of
    > (ideally non-metallic) stuff on your person. With the right garment(s) I'm sure you could get a
    > good few kilos through like this. Anyone tried it?

    I can see that being popular with the security staff.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  8. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.
    >

    > Limited to 5-6kg these days and they are very picky about how much and whats in it.

    I've never had mine weighed, ever. Except perhaps easyjet (and _they_ didn't weigh the tandem!)

    James

  9. "Richard Woods" <[email protected].co.uk> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
    >
    > I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each
    > additional kg is £29.
    >
    > Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

    My brother in law flew back from Aus last year. Don't remember who with, though. He paid a shipping
    company to transport bike and a collection of other stuff (accumulated over 6 months of touring and
    backpacking) back to the UK. This was much cheaper than paying the airline's rates and, IIRC, he
    only waited for a few days.

    So, yes, looks like they do really impose the restriction :-(, but there are other people who'll fly
    a bike across the world for you.

    - Richard

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've never had mine weighed, ever. Except perhaps easyjet (and _they_ didn't weigh the tandem!)

    It goes in phases and depends on what you have as handbaggage and what class you are in. In
    business/first I've never been challenged on hand luggage but in steerage they often ask to see the
    handbaggage and if it looks big, ask to weigh it. Post 9/11 they are much more sensitive to what is
    taken on as hand baggage, previously it was pretty lax except post incident e.g. the United jet that
    hit a big hole in the air mid Pacific and had several cabin injuries and a death - when they would
    have a clamp down.

    Tony