Qantas?



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Woods

Guest
Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.

I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each additional
kg is £29.

Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

--
Richard
 
J

Johnny Klunk

Guest
Depends entirely on the mood of the person at check in. They may or may not decide to let a few
extra kilos slide. You may be better to seafreight out if you can do without the bike for a while.
To be fair on them - it is an awfully long way to carry any extra weight in the hold.

Enjoy cycling Aus !

"Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
>
> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
including
> a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
>
> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?
 
M

Michael Macclan

Guest
"Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
>
> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
including
> a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
>
> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?
>
>
>
> --
> Richard
>
Are you travelling alone? Because if you're not it would be quite legitimate to share someone else's
allowance by persuading them to take less. Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage. Otherwise
you are left to the discretion of the check-in staff, who are inclined to be understanding regarding
small transgressions. But no guarantees! If you're really taking a lot of gear you may want to
airfreight some of it separately. It should be cheaper than the excess baggage rate. You might want
to travel with the bike yourself and freight your other gear. I don't have any personal experience
of flying with a bike though so take other advice.

Michael MacClancy
 
M

Martin Harlow

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>"Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
>>
>> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage,
>including
>> a bike. Each additional kg is £29.
>>
>> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?
>>
>Are you travelling alone? Because if you're not it would be quite legitimate to share someone
>else's allowance by persuading them to take less. Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.
>Otherwise you are left to the discretion of the check-in staff, who are inclined to be
>understanding regarding small transgressions. But no guarantees! If you're really taking a lot of
>gear you may want to airfreight some of it separately. It should be cheaper than the excess baggage
>rate. You might want to travel with the bike yourself and freight your other gear. I don't have any
>personal experience of flying with a bike though so take other advice.

And fill your pockets! I've always wondered if they'd get picky if you go though with *loads* of
(ideally non-metallic) stuff on your person. With the right garment(s) I'm sure you could get a good
few kilos through like this. Anyone tried it?

ttfn

Martin

--
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe
together ..." - Carl Zwanzig

Martin Harlow [email protected]
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Richard Woods <[email protected]> wrote:
> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
>
> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each
> additional kg is £29.
>
> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

Yes and so do BA on that route although most of their other long haul routes they class a bicycle as
one piece of luggage. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_

If someone is seeing you off at the airport you could alway try it on at check in and in the extreme
get it taken back home.

Tony
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.

Limited to 5-6kg these days and they are very picky about how much and whats in it.

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Martin Harlow <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> And fill your pockets! I've always wondered if they'd get picky if you go though with *loads* of
> (ideally non-metallic) stuff on your person. With the right garment(s) I'm sure you could get a
> good few kilos through like this. Anyone tried it?
>

I can see that being popular with the security staff.

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.
 
J

James Annan

Guest
Tony Raven wrote:
> Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Also, you need to max out on the hand luggage.
>
>
> Limited to 5-6kg these days and they are very picky about how much and whats in it.

I've never had mine weighed, ever. Except perhaps easyjet (and _they_ didn't weigh the tandem!)

James
 
R

Richard Waters

Guest
"Richard Woods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone flown Qantas from Heathrow to Australia.
>
> I e-mailed them and was told that they only allow 20kg of baggage, including a bike. Each
> additional kg is £29.
>
> Do they really impose this weight restriction for bikes?

My brother in law flew back from Aus last year. Don't remember who with, though. He paid a shipping
company to transport bike and a collection of other stuff (accumulated over 6 months of touring and
backpacking) back to the UK. This was much cheaper than paying the airline's rates and, IIRC, he
only waited for a few days.

So, yes, looks like they do really impose the restriction :-(, but there are other people who'll fly
a bike across the world for you.

- Richard
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I've never had mine weighed, ever. Except perhaps easyjet (and _they_ didn't weigh the tandem!)
>

It goes in phases and depends on what you have as handbaggage and what class you are in. In
business/first I've never been challenged on hand luggage but in steerage they often ask to see the
handbaggage and if it looks big, ask to weigh it. Post 9/11 they are much more sensitive to what is
taken on as hand baggage, previously it was pretty lax except post incident e.g. the United jet that
hit a big hole in the air mid Pacific and had several cabin injuries and a death - when they would
have a clamp down.

Tony
 
Status
Not open for further replies.