New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
****

:(

Cyclist killed in hit and run
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18978219-5001028,00.html
April 30, 2006

A CYCLIST has been killed in a hit and run accident on Queensland's Gold Coast.

Police said the accident happened on Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek around 7.20am today.

The victim, believed to be in his 50s, was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

Another man has also been killed at Swanfels, south-west of Brisbane, near Warwick.

Police said a passing motorist found the body of the 28-year-old man in long grass near the intersection of the Warwick-Yangan Road and Kays Road at Swanfels and his wrecked car nearby.

Preliminary investigations showed the vehicle left the road and hit a culvert before rolling a number of times.

cfsmtb said:
****

:(

Cyclist killed in hit and run
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18978219-5001028,00.html
April 30, 2006

A CYCLIST has been killed in a hit and run accident on Queensland's Gold Coast.

Police said the accident happened on Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek around 7.20am today.

The victim, believed to be in his 50s, was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

Another man has also been killed at Swanfels, south-west of Brisbane, near Warwick.

Police said a passing motorist found the body of the 28-year-old man in long grass near the intersection of the Warwick-Yangan Road and Kays Road at Swanfels and his wrecked car nearby.

Preliminary investigations showed the vehicle left the road and hit a culvert before rolling a number of times.

Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

Resound said:
Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?

:mad:

cfsmtb said:
Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?

:mad:
No updates on Qld Police news Alerts...maybe suppressing till they get the hit run driver or witnesses come forward , if any...

this is on the Gold Coast Bulletin's May 1 online news:

Cyclist left to die on road after motorist fails to stop
1May06

A BURLEIGH Waters man was left to die on the side of the road after a car struck his pushbike in the early hours of yesterday.

The 54-year-old was cycling south along Bermuda Street when he was hit from behind.

A passing motorist found the critically injured man on the side of the road at Reedy Creek about 5.30am.

The cyclist was taken to the Gold Coast Hospital with life-threatening injuries and was pronounced dead on arrival.

Yesterday police examined glass and other debris at the scene believed to have been left by the vehicle involved.

District Duty Officer Senior-Sergeant Craig McGrath said the man was travelling on the shoulder of the road when he was hit.

"Along that section of road there is a very wide shoulder about the width of a car that the man was cycling in," he said.

"He was hit from behind and the driver failed to stop and render any assistance.

"At this stage we are unsure of how long he had been lying onthe road.

"We are asking anyone in the public who may have seen the accident or may be aware of someone with damage to the front lefthand side of their vehicle, to come forward.

"There is no way the driver of the vehicle did not know that he hit the cyclist, not in an 80km/h speed zone."

President of the Gold Coast Goldstars cycling club Steve Drewsaid the tragedy was just another preventable accident.

"There are plenty of motorists out there who don't take into consideration where the riders are, and vice versa," he said.

"A real problem is that a cyclist has no protection around him, whereas the driver has plenty.

"Bermuda Street is not bad usually because it has such a wide shoulder.

"I'm surprised that you could hit somebody riding along there.

"People need to realise that there are bike riders on the roads and it's very give and take.

"I've seen motorists do some silly things and I have seen bike riders do some silly things.

"But obviously this is a death and it is tragic, and I don't think his family will be thinking too much about road etiquette at the moment."

Police are urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident, any motor vehicle repair shops contacted regarding suspicious vehicle repairs, or the driver of the vehicle to contact police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Resound Wrote:
> > Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the
> > right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

> Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that
> positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?
>
> :mad:

I'd say that the chances of survival are increase considerably if you
receive medical attention ASAP. Even simple first aid such as stemming
the loss of blood from an open wound can make the difference between
living and dying. In outback Queensland there's a much higher risk of
dying in a road accident than in the coastal areas mainly because it can
take hours for assistance to arrive in more remote locations.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

cfsmtb said:
****

:(

Cyclist killed in hit and run
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18978219-5001028,00.html
April 30, 2006

A CYCLIST has been killed in a hit and run accident on Queensland's Gold Coast.

Police said the accident happened on Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek around 7.20am today.

The victim, believed to be in his 50s, was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

Makes you very sad for humanity that some people are so spineless that fear of punishment is stronger than the instinct to save a life :(

There was quite a lot of media coverage on this death so hopefully they will catch the *****.

Adam

'Show yourself' plea
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18989124-3102,00.html
Cameron Atfield. May 02, 2006

SUZANNE Allen hoped to grow old with her de facto Allan Scott, but that dream was shattered on Sunday when he was killed by a hit-and-run driver at Reedy Creek on the Gold Coast.

Mr Scott, 54, was riding his pushbike along Bermuda St, about 700m south of Reedy Creek Rd, when he was struck sometime before 6am.

He was the 100th road fatality on Queensland roads this year – 12 more than this time last year.

Yesterday, a distraught Ms Allen described a loving partner who lived for his family.

"Allan was the easiest person in the world to live with. He got along with everybody, he loved his son to death," she said.

"He loved me, and I loved him. . . we only had 10 years together, but that 10 years was the best 10 years of both our lives."

Ms Allen said she could not comprehend how someone could leave her partner by the side of the road.

"I couldn't believe that someone could do this . . . it's just devastating to lose someone just like that," she said.

"It's destroyed me. It's destroyed my family."

Mr Scott made a point of riding his bike early in the morning because he was concerned about the traffic.

Although still in shock, Ms Allen yesterday made a public appeal to the driver to come forward.

"I think they must have a conscience and I think that conscience has got to be awakened," she said. "They've got to know what they've done to this family. They might have upset their life and they might have dented their car, but they've destroyed our lives for the rest of our lives."

Mr Scott's son, Leslie Scott, also called for the driver to "show yourself" and contact police. "He was my best mate. I can't give him a big enough wrap," he said.

Gold Coast Inspector John Bourke said a "significant amount of fragments" had been recovered at the site.

Mr Scott's death brought Queensland's 2006 road toll to 100.

People with information on the accident were asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The Courier Mail has a link to "Your Say" and Letters to the Editors.
It would be good if someone could make an intelligent contribution on
the findings of the Humphrey/McGee SA Royal Commission re: road laws
and other salient points (I'm not full bottle myself).

Donga

Peter McCallum wrote:

> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Resound Wrote:
>>
>>>Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the
>>>right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

>>Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that
>>positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?
>>
>>:mad:

> I'd say that the chances of survival are increase considerably if you
> receive medical attention ASAP. Even simple first aid such as stemming
> the loss of blood from an open wound can make the difference between
> living and dying. In outback Queensland there's a much higher risk of
> dying in a road accident than in the coastal areas mainly because it can
> take hours for assistance to arrive in more remote locations.

The chance of survival increase hugely with immediate aid. Thats why we
have MASH and truama centres.

Dave

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 03 May 2006 05:02:21 +1000
Kathy <[email protected]> wrote:

> The chance of survival increase hugely with immediate aid. Thats why we
> have MASH and truama centres.

St John's in Sydney run the occasional motorcycle-specific first aid
course, focusing on road trauma. You learn what to do when confronted
with broken bleeding bods all over the road, in more depth than they
can cover in the normal first aid course.

Maybe if a bunch of people asked they could run the course elsewhere,
could be very useful for cyclists too.

Zebee

Gold Coast Bulletin "story" from 3 May 2006

Vehicle held in 'Scotty' hit-run
3May06

POLICE are investigating whether this severely damaged 4WD is the car
that struck and killed 55-year-old Allan Keith Scott as he rode his
bicycle in Bermuda Street, Reedy Creek, on Sunday.

'Scotty' died before ambulance officers could get him to hospital.

He had been the victim of a hit and run.

A 20-year-old Reedy Creek man and his lawyer, Jason Buckland, called
accident investigation squad police to a house in Branch Crescent
yesterday afternoon.

Police inspected the Toyota at the address, photographed it and took
it away for scien-tific examination.

The 20-year-old and Mr Buckland then accompanied police to the
Mudgeeraba police station where the man was questioned then released.
Police said the man would be questioned again today.

Regional duty officer Inspector Ron Barry said the man was helping
police with inquiries into the fatal accident.

He said the damage to the vehicle was consistent with that type of
accident, but the investigation was only in its early stages.

It was not known if the 20-year-old lived at the address, but the
vehicle had been in a garage, front end first, at the property.

Mr Scott was found barely alive at the side of the road at Reedy
Creek early on Sunday.

He had been out for an early morning ride when he was struck from
behind by a car, which left the scene.

The Burleigh Waters man had bad arthritis in his legs and would ride
during the early mornings to avoid traffic.

He was found alive about 5.30am but was dead by the time he reached
hospital.

Following Mr Scott's death, his son Leslie, partner Suzanne, her two
daughters and her seven-year-old grandson, Dylan, pleaded with the
driver of the vehicle to come forward.

Mr Scott's partner of 10 years, Suzanne Allen, was being consoled by
family last night after being told of yesterday's police developments.

A family member said they 'all cried together' when they saw images
of the car but were 'very thankful' to have some closure.

Ms Allen spoke of the 'enormous relief' she was feeling. "I feel a
bit of weight has been lifted off our shoulders ... although it
doesn't bring Scotty back to us, we have some closure."

She said whoever drove the car would have to live with what happened
for the rest of their life, 'just like we will'.

Donga said:
She said whoever drove the car would have to live with what happened
for the rest of their life, 'just like we will'.

I never find it easy reading those stories, and sometimes it almost makes me give up riding. almost.

MikeyOz wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
> >
> > She said whoever drove the car would have to live with what happened
> > for the rest of their life, 'just like we will'.

> I never find it easy reading those stories, and sometimes it almost
> makes me give up riding. almost.

The good lady is being generous to a fault. "Just like we will". He
won't live with it anything like they will. From causing the crash
(****** as?), to leaving Allan Scott for dead, to hiding from the
consequences until he gets a lawyer when the cops are getting close -
he won't live with it anything like Allan's family, more's the pity.

Keep riding, Mikey - much better than joining the cage cult!

Donga