{QLD} Cyclist killed in hit and run

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    shit

    :(

    Cyclist killed in hit and run
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18978219-5001028,00.html
    April 30, 2006

    A CYCLIST has been killed in a hit and run accident on Queensland's Gold Coast.

    Police said the accident happened on Bermuda Street at Reedy Creek around 7.20am today.

    The victim, believed to be in his 50s, was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

    Another man has also been killed at Swanfels, south-west of Brisbane, near Warwick.

    Police said a passing motorist found the body of the 28-year-old man in long grass near the intersection of the Warwick-Yangan Road and Kays Road at Swanfels and his wrecked car nearby.

    Preliminary investigations showed the vehicle left the road and hit a culvert before rolling a number of times.

    Tags:

  2. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?

    :mad:

  4. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    No updates on Qld Police news Alerts...maybe suppressing till they get the hit run driver or witnesses come forward , if any...

    this is on the Gold Coast Bulletin's May 1 online news:

    Cyclist left to die on road after motorist fails to stop
    1May06

    A BURLEIGH Waters man was left to die on the side of the road after a car struck his pushbike in the early hours of yesterday.

    The 54-year-old was cycling south along Bermuda Street when he was hit from behind.

    A passing motorist found the critically injured man on the side of the road at Reedy Creek about 5.30am.

    The cyclist was taken to the Gold Coast Hospital with life-threatening injuries and was pronounced dead on arrival.

    Yesterday police examined glass and other debris at the scene believed to have been left by the vehicle involved.

    District Duty Officer Senior-Sergeant Craig McGrath said the man was travelling on the shoulder of the road when he was hit.

    "Along that section of road there is a very wide shoulder about the width of a car that the man was cycling in," he said.

    "He was hit from behind and the driver failed to stop and render any assistance.

    "At this stage we are unsure of how long he had been lying onthe road.

    "We are asking anyone in the public who may have seen the accident or may be aware of someone with damage to the front lefthand side of their vehicle, to come forward.

    "There is no way the driver of the vehicle did not know that he hit the cyclist, not in an 80km/h speed zone."

    President of the Gold Coast Goldstars cycling club Steve Drewsaid the tragedy was just another preventable accident.

    "There are plenty of motorists out there who don't take into consideration where the riders are, and vice versa," he said.

    "A real problem is that a cyclist has no protection around him, whereas the driver has plenty.

    "Bermuda Street is not bad usually because it has such a wide shoulder.

    "I'm surprised that you could hit somebody riding along there.

    "People need to realise that there are bike riders on the roads and it's very give and take.

    "I've seen motorists do some silly things and I have seen bike riders do some silly things.

    "But obviously this is a death and it is tragic, and I don't think his family will be thinking too much about road etiquette at the moment."

    Police are urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident, any motor vehicle repair shops contacted regarding suspicious vehicle repairs, or the driver of the vehicle to contact police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

  5. cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Resound Wrote:
    > > Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the
    > > right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

    > Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that
    > positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?
    >
    > :mad:

    I'd say that the chances of survival are increase considerably if you
    receive medical attention ASAP. Even simple first aid such as stemming
    the loss of blood from an open wound can make the difference between
    living and dying. In outback Queensland there's a much higher risk of
    dying in a road accident than in the coastal areas mainly because it can
    take hours for assistance to arrive in more remote locations.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Makes you very sad for humanity that some people are so spineless that fear of punishment is stronger than the instinct to save a life :(

    There was quite a lot of media coverage on this death so hopefully they will catch the prick.

    Adam

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    'Show yourself' plea
    http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18989124-3102,00.html
    Cameron Atfield. May 02, 2006

    SUZANNE Allen hoped to grow old with her de facto Allan Scott, but that dream was shattered on Sunday when he was killed by a hit-and-run driver at Reedy Creek on the Gold Coast.

    Mr Scott, 54, was riding his pushbike along Bermuda St, about 700m south of Reedy Creek Rd, when he was struck sometime before 6am.

    He was the 100th road fatality on Queensland roads this year – 12 more than this time last year.

    Yesterday, a distraught Ms Allen described a loving partner who lived for his family.

    "Allan was the easiest person in the world to live with. He got along with everybody, he loved his son to death," she said.

    "He loved me, and I loved him. . . we only had 10 years together, but that 10 years was the best 10 years of both our lives."

    Ms Allen said she could not comprehend how someone could leave her partner by the side of the road.

    "I couldn't believe that someone could do this . . . it's just devastating to lose someone just like that," she said.

    "It's destroyed me. It's destroyed my family."

    Mr Scott made a point of riding his bike early in the morning because he was concerned about the traffic.

    Although still in shock, Ms Allen yesterday made a public appeal to the driver to come forward.

    "I think they must have a conscience and I think that conscience has got to be awakened," she said. "They've got to know what they've done to this family. They might have upset their life and they might have dented their car, but they've destroyed our lives for the rest of our lives."

    Mr Scott's son, Leslie Scott, also called for the driver to "show yourself" and contact police. "He was my best mate. I can't give him a big enough wrap," he said.

    Gold Coast Inspector John Bourke said a "significant amount of fragments" had been recovered at the site.

    Mr Scott's death brought Queensland's 2006 road toll to 100.

    People with information on the accident were asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

  8. Donga

    Donga Guest

    One interesting twist on commercial TV last night is that the poor
    fella's uncle was also killed cycling. It showed a photo of the uncle
    posing on a racing bike and looking quite 'quick'. I didn't catch the
    details.

    The deceased cyclist's name was Allan Scott. His family's is a very sad
    story of loss and shock:
    http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18989124-3102,00.html

    Donga

  9. Donga

    Donga Guest

    The Courier Mail has a link to "Your Say" and Letters to the Editors.
    It would be good if someone could make an intelligent contribution on
    the findings of the Humphrey/McGee SA Royal Commission re: road laws
    and other salient points (I'm not full bottle myself).

    Donga

  10. Rhino-x

    Rhino-x New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2005
    Just reading about it leaves me sick in the stomach.

  11. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    Peter McCallum wrote:

    > cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Resound Wrote:
    >>
    >>>Makes you wonder whether he would have lived had the motorist done the
    >>>right thing and reported it immediately rather than fscking off.

    >>Remarkable! Immediate medical assistance could of rendered that
    >>positive outcome. What? Me? Cynical?
    >>
    >>:mad:

    > I'd say that the chances of survival are increase considerably if you
    > receive medical attention ASAP. Even simple first aid such as stemming
    > the loss of blood from an open wound can make the difference between
    > living and dying. In outback Queensland there's a much higher risk of
    > dying in a road accident than in the coastal areas mainly because it can
    > take hours for assistance to arrive in more remote locations.

    The chance of survival increase hugely with immediate aid. Thats why we
    have MASH and truama centres.

    Dave

  12. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 03 May 2006 05:02:21 +1000
    Kathy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The chance of survival increase hugely with immediate aid. Thats why we
    > have MASH and truama centres.

    St John's in Sydney run the occasional motorcycle-specific first aid
    course, focusing on road trauma. You learn what to do when confronted
    with broken bleeding bods all over the road, in more depth than they
    can cover in the normal first aid course.

    Maybe if a bunch of people asked they could run the course elsewhere,
    could be very useful for cyclists too.

    Zebee

  13. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Gold Coast Bulletin "story" from 3 May 2006

    Vehicle held in 'Scotty' hit-run
    3May06

    POLICE are investigating whether this severely damaged 4WD is the car
    that struck and killed 55-year-old Allan Keith Scott as he rode his
    bicycle in Bermuda Street, Reedy Creek, on Sunday.

    'Scotty' died before ambulance officers could get him to hospital.

    He had been the victim of a hit and run.

    A 20-year-old Reedy Creek man and his lawyer, Jason Buckland, called
    accident investigation squad police to a house in Branch Crescent
    yesterday afternoon.

    Police inspected the Toyota at the address, photographed it and took
    it away for scien-tific examination.

    The 20-year-old and Mr Buckland then accompanied police to the
    Mudgeeraba police station where the man was questioned then released.
    Police said the man would be questioned again today.

    Regional duty officer Inspector Ron Barry said the man was helping
    police with inquiries into the fatal accident.

    He said the damage to the vehicle was consistent with that type of
    accident, but the investigation was only in its early stages.

    It was not known if the 20-year-old lived at the address, but the
    vehicle had been in a garage, front end first, at the property.

    Mr Scott was found barely alive at the side of the road at Reedy
    Creek early on Sunday.

    He had been out for an early morning ride when he was struck from
    behind by a car, which left the scene.

    The Burleigh Waters man had bad arthritis in his legs and would ride
    during the early mornings to avoid traffic.

    He was found alive about 5.30am but was dead by the time he reached
    hospital.

    Following Mr Scott's death, his son Leslie, partner Suzanne, her two
    daughters and her seven-year-old grandson, Dylan, pleaded with the
    driver of the vehicle to come forward.

    Mr Scott's partner of 10 years, Suzanne Allen, was being consoled by
    family last night after being told of yesterday's police developments.

    A family member said they 'all cried together' when they saw images
    of the car but were 'very thankful' to have some closure.

    Ms Allen spoke of the 'enormous relief' she was feeling. "I feel a
    bit of weight has been lifted off our shoulders ... although it
    doesn't bring Scotty back to us, we have some closure."

    She said whoever drove the car would have to live with what happened
    for the rest of their life, 'just like we will'.

  14. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I never find it easy reading those stories, and sometimes it almost makes me give up riding. almost.

  15. Donga

    Donga Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > Donga Wrote:
    > >
    > > She said whoever drove the car would have to live with what happened
    > > for the rest of their life, 'just like we will'.

    > I never find it easy reading those stories, and sometimes it almost
    > makes me give up riding. almost.

    The good lady is being generous to a fault. "Just like we will". He
    won't live with it anything like they will. From causing the crash
    (pissed as?), to leaving Allan Scott for dead, to hiding from the
    consequences until he gets a lawyer when the cops are getting close -
    he won't live with it anything like Allan's family, more's the pity.

    Keep riding, Mikey - much better than joining the cage cult!

    Donga