QU-AX hub and crancks

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by albertomorrison, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Hi.

    I want to buy the QU-AX yellow hub becouse at this time i have my QU-AX
    unicycle but with the red hub, I was wondering pro's and the con's
    about it. thank you.

    I practice street, i weight 70 Kilograms, and my highest drop is about
    1.20 meters.

    --
    albertomorrison
    albertomorrison's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11547

  2. eero-poika

    eero-poika Guest

    albertomorrison wrote:
    > I was wondering pro's and the con's about it.

    So you mean the good/not so good things about it? I own one and have
    nothing but good to say. It's very stable and robust due to 48 spokes.
    Maybe the wheel set isn't the most strongest one, but it can easily
    take up to 1.70m drops at least. I weigh 65 kg. And I'm also sure
    that's not the limit. I'd say go for it. It's worth the money! :) Only
    little downside might be the weight (6.4kg officially) but mine is more
    like 6.1kg... Though it doesn't matter that much, the weight I mean.

    --
    eero-poika

    No pain, no gain.

    http://lonelyriders.unicyclist.com/
    eero-poika's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10911

  3. Victory

    Victory Guest

    I've got the splined yellow hub on my 24" Muni & I havent had any
    problems with it... it's very sturdy/solid.
    I weigh 72kg and have done many 1 meter still drops without riding out
    and it hasn't hurt it at all. (I'm still too chicken to try any higher)

    --
    Victory
    Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

  4. manu2015

    manu2015 Guest

    Hi,

    I have been riding a qu-ax trial for 8 months now and i am really
    satisfied of it.

    The only problem is the Q factor of the cranks. It's harder to do all
    the moves that involve your weight on the crank/hub. And without
    protections for my ankles, i hurt them on this part. These problems
    don't exist on a koxx-one devil (there are others...).

    I broke the saddle and seat post twice on some bad landed crankflips
    and unispins over sets. And one of my pedals has exploted whereas the
    other have no pin anymore. But i think this is the normal evolution
    which obviously depend on the way you ride.

    It's quite cheap for a splined hub so you can save money for the future
    parts replacements.

    Now it comes with a new extra wide rim, i freaked out when i saw it.

    Manuel

    --
    manu2015
    manu2015's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9834

  5. manu2015 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been riding a qu-ax trial for 8 months now and i am really
    > satisfied of it.
    >
    > The only problem is the Q factor of the cranks.
    >
    > Manuel

    "problem" with Q factor?? IS there a Q factor or are the cranks
    straight, like torker?

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  6. eero-poika

    eero-poika Guest

  7. manu2015

    manu2015 Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Doesn't the slight angle outward from the axle to the pedal INCREASE the
    > distance of your ankle from the crank, thereby lessening the possibilty
    > of contact/injury to the ankle?

    You are totally right, but a part of the hub go 1cm out off the hub.
    The possibility of contact to the ankle is then increased. And as these
    ankle biters are quite sharp (when you apply great stress) the
    possibility of injury is increased to.
    So again you are right the q-factor itself is not the problem for the
    ankles injury thing. It's only the shape of the cranks that's not
    perfect. The koxx Isis cranks are flat for example.

    Nevertheless if you want to do tricks with all your weight on this part
    of the uni like Xavier does (
    http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46812 ), it's better to
    have space to put your foot on. Generally if there is a q-factor, this
    space is reduced and it's far more difficult (i only have tried koxx
    and qu-ax cranks though).

    But whatever, the qu-ax is worther its price than the devil, especially
    if you only start to go big. (Is my sentence right ?)

    And i don't know for the rim, i saw one on a uni bought 4 months ago.

    Manuel

    --
    manu2015
    manu2015's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9834

  8. tholub

    tholub Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > "problem" with Q factor?? IS there a Q factor or are the cranks
    > straight, like torker? And if there IS a q factor, why is that a
    > problem? Doesn't the slight angle outward from the axle to the pedal
    > INCREASE the distance of your ankle from the crank, thereby lessening
    > the possibilty of contact/injury to the ankle?

    Q-factor is the distance between the pedals; all hub/crank/pedal setups
    have Q-factor. If the cranks are straight, the Q-factor tends to be
    less, but the hub width also plays a role.

    --
    tholub

  9. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

    I like the hub and cranks, but I would personally rather have something
    like the Koxx splined wheelset. The nub on the hub (yes I rhymed) gets
    a bit annoying.

    --
    koebwil

    "I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
    koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308