Quad and Knee Pain that won't go away

jburtonrider

Jul 12, 2011
I'm a pretty serious road and mountain bike racer (Cat 2 and 1 respectively) and have been experiencing nagging inner quadriceps (vastus medialis) and slight knee pain for about a month. I have tried to tough it out and continue training, both normally and dialing back the intensity, tried resting, and have been seeing a physical therapist; however, all the stretching, strengthening, and massage have not helped in the least bit. I use the foam roller religiously, wear orthotics to correct a flat foot, and have a proper bike fit.

I can still ride but the tightness in my quad and slight pull on my knee are still there no matter if I stretch and foam roll before the ride, stretch during the ride, whatever. I've tried using physio tape, icing, and heat but with limited results. Besides the tightness my most recent symptom has been that the quad has been twitching. This intermittent twitching has lasted about a week and doesn't hurt but is concerning.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this type of injury and how they might have solved it. I'm really at a loss as to why this has happened and how I'm going to fix it. I probably need to rest but after seeing almost no improvements after a week of not riding, I'm starting to wonder if my leg will ever feel back to normal.

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
jb->IMHO I would go see a Physiatrist or an Orthopedic Doctor as it sounds like your current plan is not working out and it has been a month. Having personal experience with nerve issues I believe the twitching in the quad muscle is nerve related. You need to see a doctor to see what is going on who can perform the needed tests.

-js

schwing

Jul 16, 2011
Not that I'm a doctor or anything, but just wanted to offer my experience. I had something similar to the twitching except that it was large parts of my quad would just go numb. For me, the thing that helped most was anti-inflamatories, regular chiropractor visits, and hip flexor stretches. My chiro thinks that overly tight hip flexors was pulling my hips out of alignment and pinching a nerve. I do a couple of yoga stretches or poses that are specific to hip flexors and that has helped a lot for me.

Hope this helps.

Not Sure

May 25, 2010
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]One of the primary focuses of Edmund Burke, PhD.'s book, Serious Cycling, is that of cross training [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]to balance the eccentricities caused by repetitive movements and stresses of cycling. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]He suggests and illustrates a variety of strength training exercises to help maintain balance within the body. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333][knocking wood] I find that having (balance and) physical health as a primary goal of bicycling, rather than that of winning, has helped me stay healthy and in the race while most others have gone on to more excitng things like corn dogs in mustard, chased with double-dipped, german-chocolate throat clusters. [/COLOR][/SIZE]