Quad Imbalance question

blkhotrod

Oct 20, 2005
My left quad is about 1 inch in diameter smaller than the right. I dont know how much this impacts my performance but have to believe a more balanced set would be better than an imbalanced set??

Anyone else had this problem and what if anything did you do to correct it? Isolated leg drills?? Leg presses??

Background: 60 yr old, 180-250 miles/wk with 2 days of Z3/Z4 work. 1:01 40k TT

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

You're probably pushing harder with your right leg! Are you right handed?

Keep riding, but try to push with your left leg until you're fatigued, then try to use both equally. When you have an imbalance, you have to work the less developed muscles more than the larger ones so they can catch up.
I had the same issue, and this helped a lot.

benkoostra said:
You're probably pushing harder with your right leg! Are you right handed?

Keep riding, but try to push with your left leg until you're fatigued, then try to use both equally. When you have an imbalance, you have to work the less developed muscles more than the larger ones so they can catch up.
I had the same issue, and this helped a lot.
yes right handed. So it sounds like a 1/2 way Isolated Leg Drill while your riding has helped? Did it take a long time to see any real results??

Not too long. two or three months maybe. It will come. The hardest part is reprogramming yourself to not rely on your dominant side so much.

benkoostra said:
Not too long. two or three months maybe. It will come. The hardest part is reprogramming yourself to not rely on your dominant side so much.
thanks again.